“not terrible”

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Glendale, Arizona
“not terrible”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

This is not the best or the worst place we stayed at during our trip from Phoenix to Washington. The room was very clean and had coffee maker, fridge, microwave and working tv. The water pressure was great. We had a room with a "view" of the traffic, didn't experience the great view some people mentioned. (For the same price we got a similar room in Gold Beach with a great view, right on the beach, with a great breakfast).
The breakfast at the Dunes was a skimpy choice of packaged sweet things and fruit, and no place to sit even if you wanted them.

Had a hard time sleeping. The road noise was strong and the bed hard as a rock. Skimpy pillows, but fortunately we always bring extras. I found the distinct sloping of the floor to be almost dizzying, but my husband wasn't bothered by it. All in all, over-priced at $99, but your choices are limited in Astoria.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Portland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

The Dunes is a very basic motel that we sometimes stay at when our preferred places are full. It's clean and relatively quiet but falls rather low on the charm scale, with fluorescent lighting and the aforementioned thin pillows. That said, I've never had a bad experience there. And hey, sometimes a lack of bad equals good where last-minute lodging is concerned. The rooms are a bit overpriced for what they are (that may be seasonal). Besides that, the only feature I found off-putting is the air-freshener smell that pervades the rooms. I've never understood how fogging a room with a cloud of chemical fragrance can be though of as 'cleaning.' Just air the room out. It's free. Luckily the windows face the breezy Columbia river, so that's what I did. Small gripe, easily solved. There's a free breakfast and a pool that I've not partaken in, so I can't comment. Perhaps those amenities justify the room price. All told, I wouldn't call the Dunes a destination, but I think it's a good fallback for those spur of the moment trips. Oh, on the plus side, though, the Dunes is right in Uniontown a skip and a hop from Mary Todd's.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PortlandKayKay
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed here last night (June 17). Clean and comfortable, updated sink area, small fridge, microwave and coffee maker are included. My only complaint that could easily be fixed - very thin pillow. As other reviewers have mentioned, it is also a bit noisy, both from showers in other rooms (water pressure is excellent) and road traffic (we had a room facing the road) but this applies to lots of motels of this quality. The continental breakfast in the small lobby, was coffee, plastic-wrapped Danishes (variety of favors), anf fruit (bananas, apples and oranges). You get what you pay for, and we were satisfied with this one-night stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank twinster2
Lincoln City, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

As someone who works at a hotel I am generally kind of picky when I stay somewhere but this was a pleasant little place just to spend the night. The breakfast in the morning wasn't so great (packaged items and such) but I am more of a coffee person so not a biggie. I was a little scared when we walked out of the room and saw a police car there first thing but it apparently wasn't anything crazy from what we could see. My only complaints were that 1) the air conditioner took a long time to start working, but that just maybe be how it works and 2) that there wasn't any complimentary lotion available.
All in all I would recommend this place but say bring your own lotion!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Sparks, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

This place really is a cheap and comfortable alternative so some of the other pricey hotels in Astoria. We stayed here the first night of two nights in Astoria (saved the money for the expensive hotel the next night).

The staff was very nice and polite. They were enthusiastic and seemed happy that we were there. We got a room in the back on the ground floor which made it very easy to access the riverwalk. It is pretty centerally located in the middle of Astoria and very close to Warrenton so your are not to far from anything. The view was not the best because there is a lot of tall grass that blocks the Columbia River but we were still able to see the ships passing through just fine.

The breakfast was blah - standard stuff with nothing special at all - the cool thing was that they had trays for you to put your food on to carry to your room. I'd never seen that before and it was really helpful to not have to balance food and drink cups while trying to open my room door in the morning to bring food to the sleeping husband.

My one and only complaint would be the plumbing. One of our neighbors took a shower around 5:30 in the morning and I thought the roof was caving in - it woke me right up out of a dead sleep. I dont think that's a huge deal if you want to get up and moving - it worked better than any alarm clock I've ever owned.

All in all I would stay again unless I wanted to see what else the city had to offer in the ways of lodging. It was kept up very nice for a cheaper sea-side motel, the salt air had not cause paint peeling and the rooms were not damp which is unusual for a hotel right on the coast. I gave the hotel the Very good raiting because of the up-keep on the place.

If you want a great view get a room on the second or third floor. If you are coming in from 101 south be careful which lane you are in when you come up to the hotel, it is on your left just after the Astoria-Meger bridge and if you are in the wrong lane you will be stuck going to Washington. The hotel is just after you go past the bridge on-ramp.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank iansgal51510
Rainier, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Our room was pretty much what we expected, for the price we paid, and we were very pleased with it. We stayed two nights. It took a time or two to get use to the toilet which had a problem flushing and we had to close our bathroom door when the neighbor showered, due to the noise. The breakfast consisted of packaged rolls, fruit and coffee. Unlike some, we were quite happy with it and figure if one wants anything more than that, they should stay at a more expensive motel. You pretty much get what you pay for. The manager, Sheetal Sharma, was very kind and helpful and we hope her daughter's ankle gets better soon. We will definately return many more times!
PS I cannot submit this without mentioning the "4" cup coffee pot in our room. It is, without a doubt, the tiniest pot we had ever seen and got quite a laugh out of it. We recommend you take the carafe with you to breakfast and fill it up there!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends