“Ultra Cool Hotel!”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Phoenix, Oregon
“Ultra Cool Hotel!”
Reviewed 14 April 2011

This is a well updated old hotel! Has the old school charm with new updates and very hip decor!!! Marble bathhroom with a shower head that fits me at 6'5"! wifi, flat screen tv. old windows, doors, floors.... hip lobby great coffee shop with good food + beer and wine! Some people say its loud and yes it might be since it has the old windows still but the class and helpfullness of the staff is un matched!!!!! will come back again and again!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 11 April 2011

We only stayed one night but had an absolutely brilliant stay! The web site mentioned a noise issue from the road outside of the room we were staying in......we didn't have a problem and slept the whole night. The bed was SO comfortable! The hotel staff were really helpful and recommended some great places to eat. We loved Astoria and loved staying at The Commodore Hotel.....it will definitely become our Astoria place to stay :)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed 14 March 2011

The Commodore is well located in the centre of Astoria. The building has a classic look and feel with a very recent, but cool and well done, restoration. The lobby is funky and the rooms are very nicely decorated, with hardwood floors, antique fixtures and fully tiled bathrooms. Free internet and an ipod dock in the room.

Front desk staff was excellent, with good recommendations on free DVDs to borrow and where to eat. The attached cafe was excellent for coffee and light breakfast in the morning.

Rooms that face the main street are loud, but this is very clearly described when booking on the website.

I would definitely stay at the Commodore again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 24 January 2011

This little place is by far the coolest hotel I have stayed in. My fiance took me here by surprise. We go to Astoria alot and have never been here. Our room was nice, decorated very cute. The bed was so comfortable. Sharing a bathroom was not even an issue.

The shower is so wonderful and very pretty!

We go to Fort Stevens alot, and usually find sand dollars to take home. This is where he purposed to me. This is a trip I will remember the rest of my life!

I would highly reccommend this place!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CampStJohns
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Stayed with my wife here for two nights in December -- Friday and Saturday nights. We were on the 2nd floor in one the European-style rooms. Sharing the bathroom and shower with a few other rooms was not an issue at all, they were always open and very clean.

The good: Very clean and cozy room, comfy bed, relatively low rate, excellent location downtown, great coffee shop on bottom floor, solid shower.

The bad: Noisy - we could hear everything going on in adjacent rooms...TVs, conversations, music, and acts of passion that we'd rather not hear from strangers. It was not a case of one or two disrespectful neightbors, sound just carries everywhere here and it carries easily. My wife was woken at 3:00am the first night and could not go back to sleep, and I was kept awake until 2:00am the second night due to the noise from numerous TVs and conversations going on throughout the hotel.

The noise issue may have been due to us being on the 2nd floor, but I think the hotel needs to emphasize to guests when they check in that they should keep the volume on their conversations, TVs and music (they provide iPod docking stations) at a minimum after 10:00pm and be proactive about monitoring the noise level later at night.

Due to this problem (and I'm not super picky, I promise), I likely would not stay here again or recommend to someone else.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trepe_Breks
Oakland, California
Reviewed 23 September 2010

I have stayed several times at the Commodore Hotel while traveling to Astoria for business. I like that it's a lower-budget option that is still modern, well-equiped and spotlessly clean. The hotel was a boardinghouse long ago, I believe, and was recently renovated into a boutique hotel. Most rooms are quite small and basic--just a bed, chair, sink, and flat screen TV--all of high quality and quite stylish. Restrooms are down the hall. Most times that I have been there, the hotel isn't at all full, and it's no trouble to walk around the corner the the bathroom. It's possible, however, to upgrade to larger rooms with more space and en suite bathrooms. I did so on my last trip because my partner was with me and he would be working in the room during the day. The extra space and luxury turned an adequate hotel into a very nice one, and we enjoyed ourselves very much. We especially enjoyed the view of the river. An additional nice touch was the new coffee shop that finally opened downstairs--it was great to be able to grab a bite so close, and the food was good. Consistently, this is my preferred hotel for trips to the north coast, and I recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank beglisc
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 16 July 2010

What a great find! Newly and tastely decorated hotel located in a central location so it's a short walk to restaurants and downtown shopping unlike many of the chain hotels in town. Presently it's listed as a B&B in Tripfinder, but really it's a hotel although the bathrooms are shared. It's very clean. The front desk guy was pleasant and helpful and gave us a great recommendation on a local restaurant. (The Columbian Cafe - 2 blocks away - don't miss it.) Our 'cabin' rooms had no street noise. The walls are thin, but once everyone settled down for the night it was quiet. The beds are some of the most comfortable I have slept in. There is a cafe on the ground floor, a convenient place to start the day.
This review is based on a single stay of one night.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends