“Unique, Affordable, Clean, Fantastic”
Review of Commodore Hotel

Commodore Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My girlfriend and I took a road trip from Victoria BC down to Disneyland in Anaheim, all along the 101 scenic highway. Astoria turned out to be a good stopping point on our first driving day. I saw it online and thought it looked cute, clean, and cheap, so we went for it. The woman working the front desk (who said she was knew) was absolutely awesome. She ran up and down the stairs several times grabbing different keys to show us tons of different rooms and see which we would like. We went with the simple 1-bed room with the private shared bathroom for the whole floor. The room had really neat decor (so did the rest of the place), and was extremely clean, probably very recently renovated. Small, but all we needed. They managed to actually make it feel cozy and intimate rather than just squeezed and cramped. The shared private bathrooms and shower were really not at all the problem I thought they might be, though I admit the hotel was not very busy while we stayed. The great lady working the front desk recommended a local Brewery for dinner, which we loved as well. I had a great coffee before heading out in the morning in the great coffeeshop attached to the lobby. The only thing I didn't like about this place was that we didn't have time to stay there on our way back!

Room Tip: The lady on the front desk told us that the road is a main logging road, so try to stay away from th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LojiQaen
There are newer reviews for Commodore Hotel

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Quite a few reviewers here have summed this place up pretty well. So Ill try to keep it somewhat brief. If youre a traveler/vacationer who needs amenities, this aint the place for you. Yes, there is a telephone, Wi-Fi, a TV w/DVD, even an iPod docking station, and hair dryers upon request. However, the rooms do not have refrigerators, microwaves or coffee makers. Ice can be scrounged up from the adjoining coffee shop but there is no ice machine, so if its after 6PM (when the coffee shop closes) youre on your own. We stayed in one of the larger rooms, so there was a couch and coffee table, which fills in for the usual dining room table and chairs, but none of the rooms have dressers. There is a small closet with a shelf up top and a small valet, which, if you hang anything in the closet, becomes useless. I mention these things because they are practicalities that everyone should be aware of and consider. As far as how we enjoyed our stay? This is a lovely vintage hotel, beautifully restored with an eye towards keeping everything original. The eye to detail is admirable and none of its charms were lost on us. If cleanliness is important to you then you will be at home here, our room was one of the cleanest I have ever stayed at. The 'sunflower' style showerhead comes down from the ceiling, so if youre tall like I am, you dont have to deal with hunching down to wet your face, a nice change from what I usually go through. Our bed was very comfortable and the goose down comforter was just what the doctor ordered. OK, the noise. Yes, if you stay in one of these corners room with the 4 large, original, uninsulated windows you are gonna be in for a theater of noise in the AM. Again, if youre noise sensitive or a light sleeper you might want to book elsewhere. We personally were out late drinking and it didnt really bother us that much, it actually kind of added to the charm. But thats just us.
Well, that about sums it up. If youre an easy going kind of traveler who appreciates historical type venues and doesnt mind their limitations, then I highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: 306 has great views
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DrexlerMcStyles
Reviewed 8 February 2013

The Commodore is a great place to stay, as long as you understand what they're offering. The rooms in this re-done old walkup workman's hotel are simple, small, and tasteful in a contemporary way. Most are "European", which means the bath and shower are down the hall. Everything it very clean and tidy, so if this is an issue for you ... it's your issue.

We've stayed in both a small "cabin" room as well as a larger, corner full-size room with en-suite bath. When we do it again, we'll go back to the small room. Astoria is a town to get out and wander around, not sit in a room. The room is a clean, tidy place to sleep. If this works for you, you'll be happy with how nice the place is for the price.

The service was very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful on both visits.

Room Tip: Street side rooms have views, and will also be a bit noisy on weekends. You are downtown, and this t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RoamingTechDude
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We stayed at the Commodore . We and really loved it. Joshua at the front desk was very helpful, and personable with our questions, concerns and undecided dinner plans. The 1925 building had been closed in 1965, and reopened and restored in 1998 by the three owners. There are pictures through out the hotel of actual scenes from the moment it reopened. No one knows why the original owner that closed it down in 1965 left everything behind., There was clothes,magazines, beds and furniture left in every room.
The remodel is incredible , and the dark wood floors, stairways, and rooms all reflect a nice old fashion modern day flare. The rooms are warm, wifi throughout the hotel and coffee shop that is joined with it. The coffee shop is open until 6pm, it is called Street 14 coffee. I had an Americana with whip cream upon arrival , but ended up sleeping for two hours the moment I laid on my bed which has really nice pure white comforter and 2 soft pillows that were heaven sent in my room. The showers have the larger water fall sprout and includes the towels for shower to face , with shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. If you are wanting a blow drier the front desk will get one for you.
I love the art mosaic in the lobby , it is above a real fireplace, and has books, rocks,particles from here and there, and the books actually can be removed , so you can sit by the large sitting area , that is cozy and open spaced , read a book , listen to the music that is not to loud or disturbing, or jump on your lap top while sipping a mocha, tea or water. It is also a great place to visit other guests , workers or just finish some needed paper work.

We took one of Joshua's suggestions and went to the Colombian Theater, and had pizza from Voo Doo, while watching a not so good film but the pizza was good . ( kind of wish it had pizza sauce on it) We ordered the number 8, and it was okay but think it lacked with taste and did not care to much for the pizza crust. Since it was Sunday night, there was not a lot of stores or restaurants open. But they do have another theater over toward Safeway that has regular movies showing.

We both love Astoria, and this is our third visit here. Out of all the places we have stayed at when visiting Astoria , Commodore hotel is number 1 in our books. It is safe, clean , friendly and really does help to have staff members like Joshua to make it extra enjoyable while visiting a place ,away from home.

Thanks to everyone in the Coffee Shop and Commodore , for a wonderful welcoming and peaceful stay. We will be back soon.

Sincerely , Jen

Room Tip: I am not sure why there was complaints on the noise from the roads, because I slept until 9am. I had...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jen L S
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Commodore. I researched reasonably-priced hotels and the Commodore had the charm and location I desired. The staff, especially manager Dana Lynn was friendly and very helpful. I loved going down to the coffee shop attached to the hotel in my pjs for my 1st cup of coffee and running back up to my room to get ready for the day! It was nice having the tv/dvd to watch movies from hotel office or from local McDonalds red box!

Room Tip: The rooms are small but functional. I used the shared bathroom and showers with no problems.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I always like old hotels, refurbished, and this is indeed refurbished nicely in a great city location. A tiny, but well-done lobby/fireplace area and guest desk greet you on arrival. Parking is on-street with no hotel lot available.
The rooms (a suite in this case) are quite small, with few, but modern, furnishings, great linens and towels, and fine bathroom with excellent fixtures. It would benefit from a shelf to put toiletries, though. A pair of robes hang in the tiny closet, and an upscale clock radio sits on the nightstand.
There were some curous omissions, like no ice machine anywhere, and no coffemaker, or small refrigerator or microwave in the room. The closet is too small for the luggage rack to hold your suitcase, so you must open it in the limited room itself. As there is no dresser, or even shelving to put your suitcase contents in or on, the floor space gets crowded. The only table is the very low coffee table in front of a very low couch, which is the ONLY seating in the room. The TV is on a swingout mount head-high by the bed.
Then there is the noise... the street sounds, the neighbors. I was immensely grateful for the offer of earplugs from the desk clerk the second night. They were comfortable and worked very well, although some folks don't like wearing them.
In general, a handsome hotel with some comfort issues and limited amenities. Not really a place to hang out, but a place to sleep. The coffee and breakfast at the adjacent coffee shop are quite good, and the staff of both the hotel and coffee shop are as friendly as all of the folks we met in Astoria, a very friendly and relaxed town.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank urbanfred
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We bought a groupon to Commodore Hotel Astoria.
We booked our room as per the rules of the groupon.
We drove 144 miles to stay at this hotel. When we arrived it was very dark. I went to open the
door and a man who identified himself as Micheal came out of the hotel. He informed us in the pouring down rain that they hotel had no power and that they were closed.

He asked me if we were the "Smiths", I told him that we were. I asked him how long they had been without power, He told me all day, I asked why he hadn't called as we drove so far and he said that he had no way to call. I pointed out that the next building had power and that he was holding a cell phone and he just said that he had no control over an act of god,

My husband asked him where we should stay and he said he had no idea, mentioned out groupon and that we would never get a price like that anywhere several times. I actually have never had any business refer to a groupon so many times in such a demeaning way. I was stunned by the rudeness of this man and how little help he was,

We went and stayed at the Cannery Pier Hotel and had a great time.

The next day we called the Commodore Hotel and asked them to rectify the situation, we explained that we had arranged to have these days off and would like to stay the next two days at the Commodore, we were informed that we would only be able to stay 1 day as they were closing the day after for upkeep. We asked for the manager to call us and she did not return our call. The desk boy called and he was very nice and apologetic, he gave us a tour and 4 $5. gift cards to a local brewery, he said that the manager would upgrade our room to a deluxe room. I really couldn't tell the difference between the 2 rooms. The hotel itself was darling, very old and neat. I really would have liked a chance to stay there. We asked if they would extend the date to use the groupon as it would be hard for us to find time off work again and they would not.

The other thing that I found so off putting was that we were to be the only people staying in the hotel and they had rooms that they were designating as "groupon rooms". These rooms were on the highway side of the building and very noisy, (they said) I didn't understand why if the hotel was empty, wouldn't they put a guest in a quiet room. I assumed groupons were a way to advertise but if you are using your worst rooms that really won't work. I see it like giving someone old meat at a restaurant because they had a coupon.

In the end we returned out groupon and we never intend to stay at the Commodore Hotel at anytime in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple