“Very clean and up-to-date”
Review of Commodore Hotel

Commodore Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We loved our stay here! Each room has an iHome,which was fantastic. There were two bathrooms on our floor that we shared with the rest of the guest but we never had a traffic flow problem.
The 14 St coffee shop was good as well and open very early.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Commodore Hotel

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed in a "cabin" for one night on our way up the Oregon coast. The cabin was very clean and basic but had modern cool updates like artwork and ipod docking station/flat screen TV. The hotel is a really cool renovated space that does "old vs new" in a really cool way. History meets modern convenience and a little bit of hipster charm I'd say. The "shared" bathrooms were separate stalls/rooms on our floor- two individual shower rooms, one individual men's toilet, and one individual female toilet. So they were actually quite private as you didn't share the space with anyone else while you were actually using the facilities. Staff were friendly and recommended local restaurants/attractions. Hotel was very conveniently located within walking distance from many great places to eat and visit. We felt it was quite quiet too- typical hotel noise- you hear guests coming and going a little bit but we weren't bothered by any other noise.

Our only complaint was that our bed swallowed us up. We each kept rolling in towards the center of the bed and ended up kind of on top of each other, having to readjust several times throughout the night. And by several times I actually mean very many times... We would definitely come back again but would probably spend a little more to try a room with a view and a private bathroom for convenience.

Check out Fort George Brewing Company nearby and the Maritime Museum

Free wifi, on street parking but we found it easily w help from staff, free DVD rental from front desk, shower gel/shampoo etc provided in the shower room

**The coffee store next door must bake some kind of cinnamon cake around the clock as the entire hotel smelled of this delicious thing... It was quite nice. And the coffee shop did have great coffee once we tried it out.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We don't usually stay in hotels when we are on vacation. Usually camp in our fifth wheel. This year we decided to take a 2 week motorcycle trip. Astoria, Oregon what is one of our stops. I chose this hotel based on reviews on this site I was not disappointed nor was my wife. We stayed in room 309 which is at corner room with private bathroom with a view of the river. The room is simple in decoration sort of European. Think Ikea with class mixed with old school charm and a touch of hip. Everything was sparkling clean and first class. The staff was friendly and helpful with ideas for restaurants and things to do. They were spot on. I especially love the double hung wooden windows that are fully functional. The noise from the street on weeknight is a little loud for some but I think it adds to the authenticity. A bonus is the coffee shop attached to the hotel lobby that serves great coffee. I would not recommend this hotel too old duffers or people that like the status quo. There are other chain motels for you. The only detraction is on street parking it can be dealt with. We have motorcycles and I'm paranoid about them I was comfortable. Check in to the Commodore for a lovely stay

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Found this while passing through Astoria for a night, and it was a delightful surprise. It was the perfect start to an Anniversary Trip! Great staff, great environment. The decor and service are both very personable. The rooms are minimal and clean, but perfectly appointed. The lobby could draw you in all day, very cozy and comfortable. The coffee shop next door is a plus, and the area is very walkable. Parking is a little tough, having to find a spot on street overnight. But not too bad really. The car/truck street noise could be a genuine challenge, since so close to highway. I'm a light sleeper and was surprised that I slept so well, but worth being aware of. Really hope to stay there our next time through town!

Room Tip: If concerned about noise, just ask when you make your reservation for best options. Be flexible!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth F
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I loved the commodore. Friendly natural and enthusiastic desk staff. Great location for walking around Astoria including on a lovely path by the sea. Absolutely beautiful renovation of a derelict property. I sleep
Badly most nights but I slept well here. I'll admit there is noise but it's not that bad. The private bath was perfect but I would try shared shower rooms to save money in future. This is a unique spot renovated and managed w care. The cafe in the lobby was astoundingly good. Again the staff was so sweet and professional. Please try the commodore!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Like some of the other reviewers have said, I really wanted to like this hotel...unique, charming, updated, supporting downtown Astoria...But the primary reason I am at a hotel is to sleep where I am traveling. I got no sleep - I mean none. As others have said, the hotel walls are paper thin. I have stayed in hotels all across the country - some of them old, some new, some of them old inns with shared baths, etc...This was the worst for noise. I was okay with the traffic noise, and expected as much because my family has lived here for generations and I have come to expect it. However, my room was next to a couple having loud sex...I was so exhausted from 12 hour days at the hospital being with my mom who was dying. My mom had just been brought home on hospice, and I just wanted some peace and rest. There was none to be had. As soon as the couple was done, the man on the opposite side of my room began snoring loudly while the couple talked on the other side. The timing was like a sit com, but I wasn't laughing. I turned up my sound soother on my iphone and tried to drown it all out. It didn't work.

For hours, I tried sleeping as my neighbor snored and others creaked and banged around the hallways, bathroom and other rooms. Then I heard some chirping noises and thought "Ah...there must be birds near my window." I then realized it was still the middle of the night - around 3am by now - so there were rats on the cement floor right outside my interior window, not birds. I begrudgingly got up as soon as the sun rose and left there without a shower or any rest. I slept like a baby the next night in a Seaside hotel. Despite the excellent service, clean room, and good rate, I will never stay at this hotel again and do not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank cnft
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I stayed three nights at the Commodore Hotel over Memorial Day weekend. This hotel has been totally renovated and it was thoughtfully and tastefully done. We had a room with a private bath, but after looking at the shared showers and baths, we could have saved some $ and walked down the hall a to use the facilities. This building is located on busy Commercial street so it can be a bit noisy with traffic. We quickly got used to the traffic sounds and slept well. My wife used ear plugs but I didn't. The staff is wonderful! The coffee shop adjoining is bright and busy with great coffee, food, and wine.

Room Tip: north rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family