Commodore Hotel
Average 3/5
Very Good 4/5
Excellent 5/5
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsshared bathroomcoffee shopprivate bathovernight parkingprovide fansfree beerdowntown astoriastreet parkingtruck trafficthird floorquaint hotelhotel lobbygreat coffeesmall roomother guestscomfortable bedwould stay again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We've stayed in the Commodore twice now on trips to Astoria. The hotel is in a perfect location and has great minimalist design (no floral bedspreads or bad watercolor art on the wall). Everything is white and clean and the hotel has a wonderful old, historic feel that fits right in in the city of Astoria, which is itself a place trapped in time. Since we travel with a baby we always choose a suite, which come with their own bathroom. We've stayed in both room 205 and room 206. Both of these rooms come with warnings about street noise, so choose wisely--if you are sensitive to noise or a light sleeper, you will definitely NOT want these rooms. My 18 month old and my husband slept like babies all night long, but as a light sleeper I was awoken several times by semi trucks driving by in the middle of the night (since the hotel is on the main drag in town, there is lots of interstate traffic rolling through). Aside from that, the suites are roomy--in 206 we were able to push the couch all the way to one wall and fit a pack n play along the other side of the wall next to the bathroom, which gave my husband and I some privacy while sleeping. The amenities are basic though--there are no irons or hair dryers in the rooms, and you don't get any cute travel toiletries (the toiletries are on a dispenser in the bathroom though and smell AMAZING). Also, the lobby is really cute and the attached coffee shop is delish. We will definitely keep coming back here, but for my sanity we will probably pay more for an interior room with less noise next time.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms with warnings about street noise if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Paige H
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We loved our stay here! Each room has an iHome,which was fantastic. There were two bathrooms on our floor that we shared with the rest of the guest but we never had a traffic flow problem.
The 14 St coffee shop was good as well and open very early.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed in a "cabin" for one night on our way up the Oregon coast. The cabin was very clean and basic but had modern cool updates like artwork and ipod docking station/flat screen TV. The hotel is a really cool renovated space that does "old vs new" in a really cool way. History meets modern convenience and a little bit of hipster charm I'd say. The "shared" bathrooms were separate stalls/rooms on our floor- two individual shower rooms, one individual men's toilet, and one individual female toilet. So they were actually quite private as you didn't share the space with anyone else while you were actually using the facilities. Staff were friendly and recommended local restaurants/attractions. Hotel was very conveniently located within walking distance from many great places to eat and visit. We felt it was quite quiet too- typical hotel noise- you hear guests coming and going a little bit but we weren't bothered by any other noise.

Our only complaint was that our bed swallowed us up. We each kept rolling in towards the center of the bed and ended up kind of on top of each other, having to readjust several times throughout the night. And by several times I actually mean very many times... We would definitely come back again but would probably spend a little more to try a room with a view and a private bathroom for convenience.

Check out Fort George Brewing Company nearby and the Maritime Museum

Free wifi, on street parking but we found it easily w help from staff, free DVD rental from front desk, shower gel/shampoo etc provided in the shower room

**The coffee store next door must bake some kind of cinnamon cake around the clock as the entire hotel smelled of this delicious thing... It was quite nice. And the coffee shop did have great coffee once we tried it out.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We don't usually stay in hotels when we are on vacation. Usually camp in our fifth wheel. This year we decided to take a 2 week motorcycle trip. Astoria, Oregon what is one of our stops. I chose this hotel based on reviews on this site I was not disappointed nor was my wife. We stayed in room 309 which is at corner room with private bathroom with a view of the river. The room is simple in decoration sort of European. Think Ikea with class mixed with old school charm and a touch of hip. Everything was sparkling clean and first class. The staff was friendly and helpful with ideas for restaurants and things to do. They were spot on. I especially love the double hung wooden windows that are fully functional. The noise from the street on weeknight is a little loud for some but I think it adds to the authenticity. A bonus is the coffee shop attached to the hotel lobby that serves great coffee. I would not recommend this hotel too old duffers or people that like the status quo. There are other chain motels for you. The only detraction is on street parking it can be dealt with. We have motorcycles and I'm paranoid about them I was comfortable. Check in to the Commodore for a lovely stay

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Found this while passing through Astoria for a night, and it was a delightful surprise. It was the perfect start to an Anniversary Trip! Great staff, great environment. The decor and service are both very personable. The rooms are minimal and clean, but perfectly appointed. The lobby could draw you in all day, very cozy and comfortable. The coffee shop next door is a plus, and the area is very walkable. Parking is a little tough, having to find a spot on street overnight. But not too bad really. The car/truck street noise could be a genuine challenge, since so close to highway. I'm a light sleeper and was surprised that I slept so well, but worth being aware of. Really hope to stay there our next time through town!

Room Tip: If concerned about noise, just ask when you make your reservation for best options. Be flexible!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple