“To be up there and see where those lucky People of Astoria live wow!!”
Review of Astoria Column

Oregon Coast Day Trip: Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock
Ranked #2 of 56 things to do in Astoria
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A 125-foot column which sits atop of Coxcomb Hill overlooking Astoria.
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I had to be talked into this one. I thought why do I care to go up there and see this? My wife convinced me that it would be fun and the kids would like it. They loved running up the steps to get to the top. I am just glad no one is scared of heights because if you are don't do this. The wind was intense on top. The view and the time it took to get up there was worth it so glad I was talked into this one.

1  Thank Pixtonian
Write a ReviewReviews (2,094)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I knew nothing of Astoria before arriving there in the early evening. Though tired from a long drive, I decided I had to see the town's most famous landmark before it got dark. So I drove up 600-foot-high Coxcomb Hill. The column itself is somewhat interesting, but unless one is, say, a hummingbird, it is very hard to appreciate the mural painted on it, since the mural's 525-foot length spirals around the 125-foot-high column. However, I was pleased to find out that the column is hollow, with a staircase leading to an observation platform at the top (though no elevator). Overcoming my fear of heights and a sore knee, I essayed the climb. The 360-degree view from up there was well worth the effort, as I hope the accompanying photos show.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

It's 164 steps so you get your cardio for the day but the view is worth it when you get there. You get a view of the town, the River and the ocean. It doesn't get much better.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Great view from the top (even though it rained when I got there). Hard work doing the 164 steps but worth it although coming down I met someone on step 30 who asked me if he was nearly at the top. He looked a bit taken aback when I said no.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The best view in Astoria - even if you don't hike to the top of the column. But if you do, it's 168 steps to the top and well worth the effort. They have platforms for resting about every 45 steps, so it is doable for all ages. Easy parking and a gift shop on site. A $2 parking fee is requested, but no fee for the visit to the column. A must see while in Astoria.