“Lamplighter”
Review of Atomic Motel

Atomic Motel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We recently stayed at the Lamplighter Motel in Astoria. When I called to make the reservation, I was immediately impressed with the friendliness of the lady who answered the phone. The motel is an older facility, but it is VERY clean and well-maintained. Our room was spotless. We had stayed at a chain motel with a good reputation a few nights before, but the Lamplighter was cleaner and the management much, much more helpful and friendly. The motel definitely harkens back to pre-interstate days and offers a rather pleasant nostalgia . It was spotless, the mattress was comfortable, the shower was hot, the staff was great and the rate was reasonable. What more could you want?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I stayed here for one night in August 2013 after the Hood to Coast race. There is no disputing this is a dated motel on the exterior and the interior. The walls are quite thin for starters and don't be expecting flat screen TVs in all of the rooms. All of the furnitures look like they are from the 70's or older. The bathroom is also quite small and the shower set up was far from the best (hard to adjust temperature, water drips from the curtain to the ground).

However, if you are looking for a cheap place to park for the night that is relatively clean, this may be your stop. I was so tired from the race that no noise could wake me up. Other pros on the motel include friendly owners, good wifi signal, surprisingly good shampoo and sometimes 3 beds to a room. The breakfast was okay (coffee cake, raisin toast), but there is a pancake restaurant only steps away. We went into Seaside for the night and it was about 15-20 minute drive. Not bad if you are looking for more affordable accommodations. The boardwalk along the water is only steps away as well as the Trolley.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I am on a bike ride (Vancouver to Tijuana) to raise money and awareness for childhood obesity. I arrived, and because I am traveling on a budget, I wasn't able to afford the original price quoted. After I explained why I was biking across the country, Debbie was kind enough to drop the price by $25. Jim also was very helpful with directions to a local bike shop. The room seems clean and comfortable. I'm glad I stopped. Anyone who is interested can follow my ride on oldguy63onabike.blogspot.com., or go to old guy on a bike on facebook.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Beat up and worn out. Super noisy/squeaky box spring. Shower that didn't really work and tub that wouldn't really drain. The only good news it is right next door to the Pig N Pancake for breakfast (if your want more than the complimentary pastries).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This place looks decent from the time you walk in and for a hundred bucks on a last minute trip you think what the heck... I was rather impressed with the size for the money I sat down on the bed and within seconds was covered in fleas. Personally I would rather sleep in my car then get attacked by fleas all night. Needles to say it took about 5 minutes from the time I checked in until I checked out

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Monica W
Reviewed 8 June 2013

This places time has passed. The person at the desk was extremely helpful. Price was way to high. Over $70.00. In an attempt to keep up with the times they stack microwave and fridge on rickety boxes.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank chakat17
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My husband and I decided to take advantage of a break in the weather and ride our motorcycles up to Astoria, Oregon. I went online to find a motel for us to stay in for the one night. The Lamplighter seemed to have some good reviews and a reasonable cost. (The website doesn't give the room rate, you have to call to get that and make the reservation.) What a huge disappointment! There wasn't any of the "charm" that I read in the reviews from this year. The $75 + tax cost for the room was WAY too high for what we got. It was a small room that desperately needs an update. The curtains didn't close all the way, so we had to overlap the curtain and move the table against it to keep it closed for privacy. There were only two small lamps in the room with one bedside table. And though there was a small refrigerator and microwave in the room, there was not a coffee maker. ( I did know about that in advance.) There was coffee and tea (with some pastries) in the office that opened at 7:00 a.m. Sure wish the office opened a bit earlier. The location of the Lamplighter is good, but it's on a main street so there was a lot of traffic noise, plus some noisy neighbors, during the night. Wish I had read all of the reviews. The reviews from last year were spot on. The reviews from this year, not so much.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple