“A little expensive for the quality offered”
Review of Atomic Motel

Atomic Motel
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Portland, Oregon
“A little expensive for the quality offered”
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Didn't like: The price. $97.00!!!
Liked: Easy walking distance to downtown Astoria.

The Lamplighter Inn is just your basic motor-court style hotel from the 1960's. I was a little wary after my interactions with them over the telephone. I was afraid Jim would book me on the wrong day; I had to repeat the date 3 or 4 times to him. The morning of our stay, I called to confirm our reservations and the woman who answered told me they were short of housekeeping staff, and made it sound like our room might not be ready. However, when we arrived, it was ready.

The room itself was clean and basic. Contrary to some other reviews online, there were plenty of nice, fat pillows (5 in all). The coverlet on the bed was a little worn and pilly, and my husband said he saw a cigarette burn, but other than that the room was clean. There was a table, chairs, a dresser/TV stand, a desk, and 2 lamps. They also provided a luggage rack, a microwave, and a refrigerator. I had a problem getting the drapes to meet in the middle when closed, but then I noticed someone had conveniently left a paperclip on the drapes so I could pin them shut. Also, the bathroom looked a little worn out. We did not even use the shower, cause the showerhead was placed so low, at about neck level (and I'm 5'2"). Also, I was awakened early in the morning by a large truck idling in front of our window, but that is practically unavoidable in motor-court style motels.

I am not trying to say I had a bad experience. My husband thought it was great! It was a cozy room, and for our purposes (walking around sightseeing, laying around watching cable, keeping food cold in the fridge), it worked great. This hotel seems to cater to fishermen (hence all the large trucks in the parking lot) and had a real down-home feeling. These little quirks and flaws are just part of the adventure of traveling.

Although the Lamplighter Inn does not have a restaurant, fans of the Pig n Pancake will be pleased to note there is one right next door. The Astoria visitor's center is on the other side of the hotel, and they are a great resource for maps and information.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank la_blue_girl2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
south florida
Reviewed 17 May 2010

loved this place, very warm and inviting, good value, nice rooms, very clean and cozy, could have stayed here for a week and felt completely at home. Make sure you try urban cafe downtown.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flyingtetas
Blaine, WA
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Our first impression of this motel was a lovely, very appealing ambiance of light. True to its name, every lamp was lit and glowing on that cool rainy evening, and we were glad to find a warm and gracious welcome for tired travelers! I learned the next day that Debbie and Jim, who have a good deal of experience in management and ownership of motels and R.V. Parks and such (did they say 30 years?), had only just taken over the management of the Lamplighter Motel a few days prior to our visit, and were so pleased to be there in Astoria! They were eagerly making their new home just as they wished it to be, with cleaning and fresh paint, as well as making whatever repairs they found necessary. My daughter and I found them and their staff to be very considerate and helpful, even though they were busy as beavers at the time! Our room, which had a marvelous view of the Bridge, was clean, quiet, and very comfortable, with all the conveniences I could wish for.
We, (with my husband this time), will be visiting in Astoria again this spring, and will certainly plan and expect to stay at the Lamplighter. Oh yes, and we'll be back yet again in June, so hope we don't wear out our welcome. With 'tourist' time soon to be upon us, I wanted to put my two-cents-worth in for anyone who might be heading Astoria-way. Oh yes, and I thot the pricing was quite reasonable. The Lamplighter is very handily located on a slight curve on West Marine Drive, not far to the east of the Bridge, with a good view of river activity to the west, and a Pancake House next door. ;) This motel seems to have been well cared for, and is now getting even more T.L.C. I especially appreciated the lending library in the lobby - or should I say, exchange library... Happy trails, & God bless every reader.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank MistyWoo
South Lebanon, Ohio
Reviewed 12 November 2009

It was $10 more than the least expensive hotels,but,it was well worth it.

Cons:
nothing really

Pros:
it's next door to a restaurant so you don't have to go far for something to eat
the room was very clean and comfortable
I loved the soup in the evening at the lobby
and the front desk lady Michelle was very friendly,I could talk to her for hours on end
and everyone on staff was friendly as well and always smiling
plenty of parking
and all rooms are non smoking

But all in all,when I return to Astoria,I would definitely come back and stay here again,and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arwen_Windwalker
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed 8 November 2009

I found this motel to be a tremendous value right in the heart of Astoria. The nightly soups were superb (and free!) and the staff friendly and helpful. My room was clean and provided everything I needed. I would definitely recommend this motel for the value-minded traveler.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank tashkenterik
Long Beach
Reviewed 2 November 2009

The hotel was A good place to stay if your looking for a clean,quiet reasoable and hospitable place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank SaraAnn1985
OR
Reviewed 31 October 2009

we arrived late in the evening and it was blowing and raining. it was a comfort to see the lamps in the windows lit up. it was very welcoming. the rooms were comfortable and the hospitality was very nice. we would stop there again when passing thru.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple