“very good stay”

Astoria Riverwalk Inn
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Reviewed 29 October 2012

stayed at this Inn Oct. 23-24, 2012. Previous reviews re: friendly helpful staff, beautiful marina view, new king size bed, good breakfast (cinnamon waffles with marianberry syrup)..clean food area......all true. Bathroom had all new fixtures; especially enjoyed very large shower head that was adjustable for spray; I opted for the large, gentle, "fuzzy" spray type. Room was clean. Staff (especially Seth) provided me with map of area, and restaurant information and recommendations. Included pass for free admission to historic museums; the Flavel House Museum and Carriage House were wonderful.
Ate lunch at Bowpicker "boat restaurant" near Maritime Museum (Seth did not recommend this); I did not care for the fish. "Tis true that there does not seem to be any insulation between rooms, but was not very noisy from other guests during the weekdays that I stayed.

Room Tip: book room on 2nd floor to minimize sounds from other rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ORtraveler43

Reviewed 24 October 2012

Stayed here for two nights Aug 25, 26, 2012 during the king salmon run. LOVED this place for several reasons: It is on the riverfront, the marina is directly below the hotel, which is PERFECT if you are fishing, it does not get any easier than this! Also, the rooms were spacious and clean, beds were comfy, very quit at night. There is an early basic breakfast provided for free in the lobby, great for an early day of fishing. Staff was friendly and competent. The rate was very reasonable too! If you're fishing in Astoria, THIS is the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SCTravelerandskier
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My husband and I traveled with 2 teenage boys. We had a family suite 2 adjoining rooms. They could do their game playing (the game system was there with games and movies in the lobby). The view is great. I would recommend this hotel to anyone especially if you have kids with you.

Room Tip: every room has a water view. The place is well off the highway.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sharon d
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Totally excellent experience. View of Marina and Astoria's looong bridge over the Columbia. Comfortable bed. On-site owner. This is the old Astoria Red Lion in process of revival to be a locally owned and operated quality hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the Marina as far as I could see.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Flowing V
Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

We were very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. We booked it primarily on price and secondarily on location, and were prepared to find a second or third rate hotel. Instead we found a premium location right in front of a marina with sliding glass doors leading to a small deck with a gorgeous view if the marina and river. A very good breakfast was included, the staff was friendly and always accessible, and the rooms were well cared for and clean. Overall this is one of the top values we've found anywhere.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Retrave
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Found this place by chance. Reception were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and tidy. Had a private balcony with views over the marina. Watched the sun go down and the boats come in. Within walking distance of a number of good eateries, including pub food and more upmarket. Short walk into town for all other amenities.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed at the Riverwalk Inn on August 25th. WE came from Cannon Beach and decided we would like to spend another night. It was the only Hotel that had any rooms from Cannon Beach all the way to Vancouver Washington. I did not see the Hotel I was directed there from an employee at the Best Western in Seaside. I thought how bad could it be as they are charging $175.00 per night. When we got there I almost kept on driving, if we didn't have out 6 month old and 5 year old son I would have kept driving. This is a Motel and is very run down. I said something to the employee at the front desk regarding how the rooms are and he said that this used to be the Red Lion and it sat vacant for 2 years. He said they had replaced the beds. I had to sign a waiver that we would not go onto the balconies as we were told we could fall through. I asked for a recommendation for a restaurant and he recommended a glorified Denny’s.. I told him were looking for something more upscale. He wasn’t very knowledgeable about that was around Astoria. We went to our room and it was very stuffy, we could not open the balcony as it was bolted shut. The room is very outdated, the furniture was old and showed wear and tear. I did not sit on the chairs. We went to dinner that night to an Italian place we found ourselves, I think it was called Fulio’s. It was excellent. I actually wanted to sleep in the restaurant, it was way nicer than our room. I hated to go back to that place. That night we heard every noise from the rooms surrounding us. There is no insulation.. There were people getting up at 4:00am and you could hear them talking and the water running, showering, ect... We got up shortly after that and checked out and left. The room was so stuffy we all woke up with sore throats. I was sorry that I had paid that much for a room like that in a place like that. I can’t believe they can get away with those rates. Again, this place is a Motel, you would be better off staying at the Motel 6 for half the price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Elizabeth N
BradSmithart, Manager at Astoria Riverwalk Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time for your review. We value your comments.

One of my favorite things about Astoria is our fine restaurants. I am glad you found Fulio's. If you make it back to Astoria, I highly recommend The Baked Alaska and The Urban Cafe. Also for breakfast, The Columbian has an excellent eclectic menu.

We apologize for the balconies being closed. We have been working with the city, and a local construction firm, to get our balconies rebuilt and safe. In fact, we are proud to say we now have 42 balconies open, with the remainder expected to be complete within the next 45 days. We are a locally owned and operated business, and we strive for a clean, professional, and friendly product. I apologize that your stay was not to you and your family's liking. We have family suites designed for children's enjoyment. I would love to have you come back, so we can show you OUR Astoria. Please contact Seth Davis, General Manager, or Brad Smithart, Operations Manager for your next booking, and regarding your past stay. We would love the opportunity to accomodate you on your next trip.

Brad Smithart