“Disappointing”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
San Diego, California
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Now I know why this hotel fell from the number one spot. The cleanliness of the room was sub-standard. Next time I go to Astoria I will choose another hotel. The room was not vacuumed every day; the coffee pot was not cleaned and was, in fact, dirty the day I arrived and after I shared this information with the front desk, the next day the coffee pot was still not cleaned; who knows how long the liquid was in the pot? Management did not fill my expectations when I addressed my issues. The location is ideal if you want to walk to restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank maxigirl2000
Manager1313, General Manager at Hotel Elliott, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
As was stated in the communications to you from our chief operating officer, in your case we realized we failed in some areas and you were inconvenienced.
We only wish you would have given us the opportunity to correct these problems while you were still at the hotel. We would have been happy to clean your coffee pot.
We realize that travelers have many choices and we strive to provide a quality product and high level of guest service to promote our great reputation and continued development of a loyal clientele.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
TACOMA
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This sweet little novelty hotel was a pleasant surprise. We were looking for a quiet, clean, comfy room and the Elliott met that need easily. It also provided a quaint step back into a different time. The building has been beautifully restored, and our corner room on the 3rd floor was spacious, clean and beautifully appointed. The bed was comfortable and the heated tile floor in the bathroom was wonderful. All in all a good choice when staying in Astoria. We heartily recommend.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

I was part of a family group of women who rented the Presidential Suite on the top floor of Hotel Elliot. The suite included a grand piano, gas fireplace, and a spiral staircase leading to an upstairs bedroom with private access to the rooftop deck.

Breakfast was included, buffet style, and included warm food such as an egg scramble (w/bacon and cheese) and ham/biscuits with sauce).

The staff there are local and very nice. They made us feel welcome and provided all the services you expect from a good local hotel. This is a great place if you like to stay away from the big chain hotels.

Beware that during the summer there is a Sunday market directly below and in front of the hotel, so if you hope to sleep in late (eg. past 9am) you might hear the folks setting up down below. I think it's a feature, not a bug, because you are located right in the thick of the fun.

Room Tip: Fifth-level floors might hear the rooftop fans more than other floors.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wallingfordgal
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This is a great place to stay if you want to ditch your car during the trip. Astoria's downtown area is very walkable, and the Hotel Elliott is in the center of it all. My room was on the 4th floor, with not much of a view (409). The room was a good size, and reminded me of some of the larger rooms I stayed in in Europe. The furniture and decor is all antique (or good knock offs) and there is one a kind art on the walls. The charm of this hotel is in the details. The bathroom was completely redone in a stylish tile, and the floors are heated! So soothing on a chilly rainy day. The room has a flat screen, coffee maker, and fridge and a nice sized closet to stash your luggage. The room was very well appointed and perfect for two people on a weekend trip. The bed was so comfortable!! Made it hard to want to get up and start your day.
The hotel itself offers breakfast, and has a wine room in the cellar. There is also a rooftop garden, which was closed for construction during my stay. I can imagine it would be a nice way to spend a couple hours.
If you are looking to walk off some of the delicious food or beer you are no doubt intaking while in Astoria, head towards the river and the Riverwalk Trail. Head East or West, you really won't be disappointed. It's a hop, skip and a jump from the hotel. There are also tons of coffee shops, restaurants, and bookstores to explore right outside the hotels doors.
In short, this was a great place to stay. I have no complaints, and look forward to staying again at the Hotel Elliott.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We opted for the Hotel Elliott after our first choice, the Cannery, proved to be completely booked for the weekend we were traveling. Lucky for us – I think it is the better option.

The Hotel is in a historic building, and although it has been clearly remodeled, and expanded, it manages to stay true to its roots in that they haven’t “fixed” the delightfully creaky floors, get particularly snobbish about piping in scented air or muck up the rooms with too many modern flourishes. My architectural historian husband had no complaints either.

Check-in was easy, and as we were there rather late in the evening the small group gathered at the nearby bar was also welcomed us with hellos and laughter. The bartender was leaving for the night when we asked for a glass of wine, but offered to pour for us anyway when she found out we were guests. Very kind of her, and a very generous pour. What a great start to our weekend.

I find myself surprised by the complaints about the rooms – ours was 406 and was roomy enough that we did not feel cramped. Rooms included a cedar-lined closet, and a flat-screen TV so large it didn’t fit in the cabinet and instead rested on top of it. Bonus for us, as we made quick use of the cabinet to store our smaller bags. And unlike so many hotels that offer an in-room refrigerator as a feature and then fill the whole thing up with their own pricy food, ours was blessedly empty and therefore actually useful. Our room was quiet, even on a busy weekend, and we slept well.

The bathroom had heated floors, and while it was clear they’d cut a few corners in its build out (cutting out part of the wall tile so that the vanity table could fit) it was nice enough. My only (very minor) complaint was there was very little counter space and zero storage in the vanity, so our toiletries could not be tidily stored.

The front desk is staffed 24 hours/day, and readily lent us a wine bottle opener when we needed one. The reception area is comfortable, and while the complimentary breakfast is unremarkable it was sufficient for our needs. The sitting areas for the bar/breakfast/lobby are comfortable.

The hotel is conveniently located downtown so you can walk all over and enjoy the city. Across the street is a new bookstore, and an estate jewelry store, and several cafes, coffee houses, galleries, etc. are very nearby.

The hotel does not have its own parking, but nearby lots are free and we found street parking easily. I was somewhat concerned as there is a Sunday market right outside the front door which meant there was more restricted parking starting at 5:30am on Sunday, but even getting back to the hotel late after a movie Saturday night we found a space about half a block away. The Sunday market was fun to walk through, with the usual food items, crafts, and flowers that you’d see anywhere.

Definitely call in your reservation so you can discuss what you are looking for in a room with the clerk. I was a bit shy about doing this but the clerk I spoke with was very helpful and didn’t make me feel awkward at all. Our room was sold as having a river view, and it did, though it was over the top of several rooftops and a bit to the side. So not really enough to delight in the view – if choosing between a water view and a room with a fireplace, I’d opt for a fireplace next time.

Room Tip: Call the reservation line to discuss what is available!
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Just stayed at this hotel for a night and loved it! Historic, but nicely updated. Clean rooms with comfortable beds and great water pressure in the shower! The breakfast was very good - lots of tasty options. Easy walking distance to a great brewery - Fort George. We would definitely go back.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret W
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This was our first time at the hotel and was for a quick weekend get-away. We love the downtown location as Astoria has a very nice downtown with many coffee shops and restaurants all within a short walking distance. Also, the Sunday market is right outside of the front door on Sunday mornings. The hotel itself was very nice and comfortable. Our room ( a premium suite) was spacious and quiet and the bed comfortable. The rooftop terrace is also a very nice spot with a great view. I also appreciated that they have parking worked out for their guests. The front desk staff however, need to be more welcoming and helpful, (at least the Saturday afternoon staff). We found them to be cold, not rude, and unattentive. Aside from that, we look forward to future stays.

2 Thank Robin R
Manager1313, General Manager at Hotel Elliott, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
I would like to extend my thanks to you for sharing your comments about our hotel and Astoria! We are very proud of our town and glad to be the centerpiece for the historic district.
I am very concerned about your experience with one of our front desk team members. We have received so many positive comments, but I wanted a chance to address your concerns with the team member involved.
If it is not too much trouble, could you please call me at the hotel so we can discuss this negative interaction? You can reach me by calling 503-325-2222 and asking for John Nelson.
My only goal is to ensure that this does not happen in the future and your input would be extremely helpful.
I completely understand if you would prefer not to call and we are extremely glad that you will be back to visit us again in the future.
I think you will find that we will be able to meet all of your service needs and hopefully even exceed expectations!
Thanks again for taking the time to recognize our hotel and our town.