“Simple Elegance”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Santa Rosa, California
“Simple Elegance”
Reviewed 15 August 2005

The Hotel Elliott is located in the heart of the historic old town district of Astoria. Don't let the somewhat cheesy exterior and funky reception area fool you. Yes, the rooms are small, but there is an obvious attention to fine details here: cedar-lined closet, Aveda bath products, the leaf-etched bathroom walls, Tully coffee, fluffy bath towels and robes, and a bathroom floor that can be heated to your own personal specification. They advertise "wonderful beds," and it's not a gimmick...the beds are exquisite. Our room did have an overhead fan. I think the drapery problem alluded to in previous reviews is a minor complaint. But you do need to open the window for ventilation, and there are no screens (I would think twice about booking a room if there are young children travelling.) This is not a hotel you book for the views (we faced the free parking lot of the hotel). I liked the restaurant across the street, The Schooner, but I can't vouch for the continental breakfast; great oatmeal, eggs, bacon and ham. It was a gray, very cool and overcast day in Astoria when we stayed. The town has seen better days; it seemed run down and economically depressed. It was difficult to discern the charm in this riverside town.

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank shep77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
La Jolla, Ca.
Reviewed 8 August 2005

This hotel has some very positive aspects although there are some areas that could use improvement. It is in a renovated building and our initial impression was that curbside appeal is lacking. The lobby (soon to be remodeled) smelled slightly musty and is small. Based on our initial apprehension we (my wife, daughter and, I) asked to see our room (a suite with a great view of the river). We were very pleased with the amenities in the suite to include the comfortable bed, heated floor in the bathroom, nice soaps, robes, shampoo, etc. We decided to stay and generally enjoyed the experience. The lady (Allison) at the front desk was one of the most pleasant and accomodating people I have ever encountered at a hotel. She took care of all our needs and really made a positive impact on the stay.

The wine bar in the basement and the roof top terrace are very nice touches- really gives the hotel its character. The restaurant across the street served a great crabmeat omlette although the monitary credit you get if you decline the continental breakfast is minimal. My wife had the provided breakfast and it seemed the fruit was pretty weak.

My one real issue regarded the windows. They are screenless. We were traveling with our 8 year old and while she is not a baby the lack of screens and a fifth floor room had me nervous. Perhaps the hotel does not wish to cater to kids (their perogative) but it left me uncomfortable. As well, given the windows needed to be open for ventilation there was more street noise than I would have hoped. The hotel is near a busy road through town and all it takes is one loud truck- you get the idea. I also agree with a prior reviewer's comment that the drapes are a nuissance (difficult) to open and close.

Overall, we had a positive feeling about the hotel and would say that it was far more comfortable and interesting than the more typical motels and chain hotels that also dot the area. A few improvements and this could be a real gem.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank Anrmd
Portland, OR
Reviewed 19 July 2005

My girlfriend and I recently spent a night at the Hotel Elliott. While it is a nice hotel, and it is apparent that the owners have accomplished a wonderful renovation, we had some issues with our stay.

The hotel is located pretty much in the center of Astoria. It was nice to be able to walk to restaurants and explore on foot. Its a very small city, but it has a lot going on, from trendy galleries and shops to its active docks on the Columbia. A day or two here is probably enough, though!

Hotel Elliot was originally built in 1920 and seems to have been totally restored. The extent of the renovation seems to beg the question -- why not just knock it down and start over again? Inside, the only thing that reminded me that we were in an old hotel were the small bedrooms. The bathroom was especially nice, with floor heating and nice fixtures. They did cheap out on some things, however, which created nasty contrast.

Here are some details:

- Beds were "wonderful" as advertised, but a bit small. The bed in our room was several inches shorter (and possibly more narrow) than a standard queen.
- Curtains in the room were absolutely unacceptable. More like shower curtains on cheap brass pipes (which, incidentally, still had "MADE IN MEXICO" and other industrial labeling printed on them). The curtains were difficult to open/close and failed to block the abundant light, making morning sleep challenging. In fact, they barely were wide enough for the windows.
- Keep in mind that the rooms (at least ours) did not have AC or a ceiling fan. They were nice enough to include a small, cheap fan which we were lucky enough to find in the armoire. Unfortunately, it was hard to find somewhere to put it.
- We were on the third floor, which gave us a bit of a view, but mostly of ugly rooftops. Also, the ventilation from the hotel's cigar bar seemed to be right outside of our room. When we went to sleep, or room smelt like cigar (since we had the little fan on the window still, pointing in). We both had sore throats the next morning.
- The rooms are very, very small. I would expect this in New York City, but not on the Oregon Coast. No closet and nowhere to put all the pillows that they had all over the bed. It was challenging to navigate between the armoire and the bed. Keep in mind that we were in a "standard" room, not a suite. I would go crazy if I had to spend an extended period of time here, even by myself!
- The "continental breakfast," served at the Schooner Restaurant across the street wasn't good at all. Microwaved packaged pastries, fruit that tasted canned and average coffee was all you got. Quality was low overall.
- Rooms were exceptionally clean, with nice towels. One problem -- the maid evidentally failed to check the alarm clock setting, because it went off at 7:55AM (on a Sunday). Because of the translucent curtains (mentioned above) it was very difficult to fall back asleep.
- Rooftop terrace was really pretty and comfortable, but I imagine that it could fill up fast. We really liked their wine bar in the basement. It was great to be able to take a glass of wine upstairs and relax on the comfortable chairs.
- Staff was generally helpful and friendly. However, they didn't ask how our stay was when we checked out. And, they seemed a bit too busy to listen. So, I'm providing my comments here instead.

Overall, I thought the Hotel Elliott was pretty average, definitely not luxury and probably not worth $160/night. Its too bad, because with some more attention to detail (ceiling fans, better curtains, nicer breakfast, etc.), it could have been much better. Not sure what can be done about the small rooms, though!

Astoria is a great place to visit, and it is nice to see its revitalization. I'm sure the hotel will be successful, mostly because of a lack of competition on the higher end. If another nice hotel opened, it would probably give the Elliott a run for its money.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank PDXDon
Augusta, Ga.
Reviewed 18 June 2005

The Hotel Elliot was a great choice while staying in Astoria. Its in the heart of city. Parking was easy. The hotel is very nice. When you lay down on their beds you will know you made the right choice!! The staff was very friendly. The rooms have everything a traveller could need. The free newspaper to go along with the coffee and heated bathroom tiled floor are nice touchs.

• Stayed June 2005