“Stopped in to try the clam chowder......”

Charlie's Chowder House
Ranked #54 of 104 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 23 January 2014

....but ended up LOVING the Smoked Salmon 'Chowder'. It said chowder on the surf board where the specials are written, but to me it was brothy so soup or stew would be more accurate. Just my opinion of course...your mileage may vary. Whatever it was, it was the BEST soup/stew/chowder EVER!!! And dipping the garlic toast in the broth made for a bit of heaven in my mouth. I kid you not.

The clam chowder was good, but the Wet Dog is still the best chowder in town of that kind. We also shared an enormous 'wedge' salad with assorted lettuces, eggs, etc, it was almost too much for two, but it was also stellar and we managed.

The ambiance is fun, and it's bigger than it appears outside. There is also now a full bar attached, and there are rumors of further expansion. Prices are very reasonable for the portion size, and there is an all you can eat clam dinner the first Sat of the month. I am hoping to be there on that day in February.

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We stopped because of the name. We wanted chowder and coffee. But, sitting down we ordered the very thing plus we shared a crab melt. Waiting for the food, I started to read what trip advisor said. Needless to say, the reviews got us totally nervous! Plus, purple haired server said there may not be any "Cho" left.. Slang for chowder I guess. Anyway, we saw the old sailor looking cook pour some into a pan. It wasn't totally hot so I judged it just ok. I have had way way better so, I hate when they say it's the best and famous! The crab melt was delicious but not enough to ever come back.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

My friend recently purchased a home near Astoria and we love trying new restaurants in town. After doing a Google search for best chowder in Astoria we discovered Charlie's. Clearly there must be another Charlie's Chowder House, because this has to be one of the worst restaurants I have ever eaten at.

To be fair, the chowder was decent although nothing to rave about - I would give it 3 stars. The rest of the food though was terrible. I ordered a cup of chowder and the crab melt. The crab melt was a misnomer: the cheese was quite rubbery and only halfway melted. There was also hardly any crab. Instead it was mostly green and red peppers and onions (ingredients which I personally find strange on a crab melt). This crabless crab melt cost 12 dollars. My friend ordered the pan fried oysters, which is a favorite dish for both of us. Unfortunately they were so incredibly salty they were inedible. We left almost all of them on the plate. I only finished half of my "crab" melt before giving up. We both felt terrible because the waitress was really nice and it wasn't her fault. However, I am not a picky eater and it was a strange experience to walk out of the restaurant with most of the food left on the table.

One other comment - the decor is Hawaiian and most of the seafood on the menu is not from the Oregon coast. While some people might appreciate that, I visit the Oregon coast to eat fresh locally caught fish. If I eat seafood, I want it to come from somewhere near Astoria, not from Hawaii or the east coast or wherever. That, however, is my personal preference. Because of this reason a restaurant like Charlie's is clearly not for me.

1  Thank TC L
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

After spending the day in Astoria and riding the cable car which was very informative and enjoyable we got off across from Charlie's Chowder House and thought we'd have an early supper. Ordered fish chowder and crab cakes. Got the chowder first and although the broth was somewhat tasty the fish and seafood was very low quality and in the bottom of the bowl there were peas. Who puts peas in chowder? Then the server brought the crab cakes. They were quite large but scorched. When we cut into them there was absolutely no crab to be found. These were not crab cakes they were "bread crumb cakes" that fell apart as soon as we cut them, were extremely dry, had nothing else in them but a few crunchy bits that were ?maybe celery or onion or carrot. Who knows? Then the server bounces over and says "How are the crabby cakes?" Not crabby at all but the worst crab cakes possible but we still had to pay $11.00 for them. Save yourself the money and don't even open the door to enter this place.

1  Thank nomorep
Reviewed 5 November 2013

During a recent trip to the coast, we stopped by Charlie's. Our server was in fact friendly, and not responsible for the terrible food. My family ordered fish and chips which the server assured was fresh fish brought in daily. The portion size of the fish was incredibly small. The fish tasted very bland and made us wonder if it had been frozen. The fries were the best part of the meal. Within a half hour of leaving Charlie's we became ill and had the same reaction which occurs from drinking the water in Mexico. For two of us to have exactly the same reaction to the food, something was clearly done wrong. Needless to say next time we are in Astoria we will avoid Charlie's. According to other reviews it sounds like his chowder is well liked but if you eat there I would definitely avoid the fish and chips!

1  Thank coastsearcher