“The little group that could !”

Astor Street Opry Company
Ranked #21 of 44 things to do in Astoria
Astoria oregon
316 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 708 helpful votes
“The little group that could !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Far and away best production is the totally hilarious "Shanghied in Astoria" based somewhat loosely on the real history of Astoria.
Scandinavians belting away that the moon shines brighter in Astoria!
If not already, this must be on your things to see and do in Astoria!!
Be prepared to laugh and throw pop corn at the villans in this melodrama!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Journeyman644

Placerville, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Shanghaied in Astoria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Another fun activity in Astoria, only runs mid to late summer into September. If you are lucky enough to be in Astoria during these times you really should attend. All local actors, looking for ward to a 30th anniversary in 2014... it should be a banner season.

The Astor Street Opry Company has other productions through out the year... check them out for a great evening out.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Waianaegal
Fullerton, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Regaled in Astoria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

“Shipwrecked in Astoria” is a musical melodrama that comes alive with a lot of humor and music that are very entertaining, very enlightening and – I think I can say – very Astoria. My group of thirteen ranged in age from 5 to 65, and we all enjoyed this performance. The small theatre provided an intimate atmosphere, and young members of our group especially enjoyed throwing popcorn at the villains. My two favorite performers were Chrislynn Taylor as Miss Macie, a big-hearted “businesswoman,” and the performer who played the villainous Maxwell Krooke (the program lists two who alternate and I don’t know which one I saw). We were fortunate to see the opening night performance and were able to take advantage of the wonderful dinner featuring kobe beef hamburgers catered by the chef from Baked Alaska. One member of our group does not eat beef, and the Baked Alaska chef came up with an excellent vegetarian substitute.

The facility and performance are not without their flaws. The audience must use portable toilets and the performers did not seem to be miked so some of the words of the songs were hard to understand. If I had paid Broadway prices, my assessment might have been lower than a 5, but this is such a great value that I have to award the ultimate score.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Looper_321
Long Beach, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“absolutely wonderful!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

I was surprised at the talent--singing, acting, all of it. We brought the entire family ranging from 7 to 60 and absolutely all were completely involved with the entire play(s). We started with "Shanghied in Astoria", and returned for "Scrooged in Astoria". The person I contacted for reservations was absolutely wonderful in putting our large group together; she evidently is multi talented as, there she was, on the stage with a very impressive voice! Bob the elf had our entire group laughing so hard our stomach's hurt! We plan on going to the other plays, acts, etc. that are put on throughout the year. If you're in the area at the right time, don't miss this opportunity!!

Visited August 2012
3 Thank NANCY P
University Place, Washington
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Shanghied in Astoria is a riot - lots of fun!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

Attended my first Shanghied in Astria production and had a blast - this is truly a production of enthusied actors and the audience participation added to the overall event! Cann't wait to come back for the fall production. This entire production is a top quality.

Visited August 2012