“Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Salem Oregon
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Entertaining a visiting relative we stayed here for a single night in mid-September, overall I would rate our stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites as very pleasing. The Hampton is located on the east side of Astoria just past the downtown area right next to the Columbia River. I liked the location it was just far enough from downtown to minimize traffic, yet close enough that we could either walk (Astoria Riverwalk) take the Astoria trolley ($2 for all day pass) or drive to the many points of interest found in Astoria ( lots). There is one thing about the location that some people find most annoying and that would be the neighbors. A colony of Sea lions lounges on the docks just in back of the hotel and they are never shy about making their presence known, while I enjoyed them others have not.
The hotel is not that old and I was impressed with how well everything was taken care of. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable, check in took only a couple of minutes. I had a river facing room with a balcony which I found worth the extra charge. Our rooms were clean and everything worked. Our free breakfast the next day was as one would expect I would give it a high ok, staff did attend to cleaning and restocking needs regularly. Check out consisted of putting my room keys on the desk as I walked out.
Overall I felt the Hampton Inn gave me just what I wanted at a price that was a little more than I wanted to spend but not so much that I would not hesitate to recommend or return this hotel.

Room Tip: River view rooms have an excellent view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Great hotel ideally situated in Astoria - right on the water and do ask for an ocean view room...even if you have to pay for it - well worth it! Clean and good value for the money - great hot breakfast...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Colleen C, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Astoria, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for writing your review about your great stay here with us at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so happy that you enjoyed your river view room, along with our free breakfast buffet. Please do come again! Thank you for staying with us!

Richland, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Right on the water towards the end of town... Don't stay here if you want to walk thru downtown as its a but far, but great room with view of Columbia... DO splurge on an ocean view room to see the big ships and leave the fan running all night to drown out seals barking- worth it!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suzannesg
Dear suzannesg,

Thank you for choosing to stay here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Astoria Oregon. Just in case you may not know, we do have our own trolley stop to help get you down town. Located on the river side and it only costs $1 to ride one time round trip or $2 to ride all day long and get on and off where ever you please down town and back. All of our guest definitley enjoy the trolley! We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in your river view room. Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Kind Regards,
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

When looking for hotels in the area, this Hampton did not initially show up because it is so new. Glad I found it! Being on the newer end (approx. 1 year), the hotel was clean and comfortable. It is obvious the staff cares for and maintains the property well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

2 Thank Kenneth M
Colleen C, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Astoria, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Kenneth M,

We are so happy that you found us! Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We do indeed take so much pride in caring and maintaining our property. Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review and we hope to see you again soon!

Phoenix, AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I am a long time Hilton Honors member. I booked 2 rooms at this Hampton Inn. Upon check in, we were checking in about 3 minutes before checkin we were told one of our rooms was not ready. I reminded the desk clerk when check in time was, the clerrk became rather surly. I asked when the room may be ready as I was travleing with my 93 yet old father and wanted him to rest. I couldnt believer when she said "It will be ready when it's'ready" I couldnt tell if she was joking. The room was ready 30-45 minutes later. When checking out I approced the desk and the clerk was talking on the phone, it only took me a few minutes to realize she was on a personal call. As I stood she kept talking and pretty much ignored me, After a few minutes I set the keys on the desk and walked out. She still said nothing to me. I DO not like the 100% guarentee. I as not 100% happy. But how could I talk to someone and let the know if the clerk was on a personal call. After checking my Hilton Honors site, I noted that had not been given points for my second room, I have called twice and still no points. I have booked 2 rooms before and always got points for both room. I called the hotel to ask them about this and the desk clerk (not sure it it was same clerk) but she said "call hitlon honors, I cant do anything" T o say i was unhappy would be a understandment but the 100% happy clause is not honored.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank TRavlerbarry
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed just one night in one of the jacuzzi suites which was spacious and cozy. The breakfast was just okay but there were alot of choices, including fresh waffles. We swam in the pool, which I will agree with other people, was quite cold....and the hot tub too (it was cold enough for our one year old to go in).

I loved the sea lions! I kept the window open just so I could listen to them. I didn't think they were overly noisy at all as some people reviewed. And we had the closest room to that specific pier.

My one complaint, which is minor, was that they didn't have real coffee cups available. They seemed to be real vigilant about reusing towels, conserving water, etc. then they give you paper cups that are individually wrapped in plastic. It seems too wasteful! I would rather have real cups personally.

Room Tip: I loved that the end of the trolley line is located right outside this hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jillpikkle
Dear jillpikkle,

I am so glad you chose to stay in one of our Jacuzzi suites! They are definitely spacious and cozy. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and we sincerley apologize for the temperature in the guest hot tub. We did have to replace the heating element. We do hope you try us again next time you come to Astoria Oregon!

Winterville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Astoria is a beautiful town on the water, old fishing town, this hotel is right on the water and views of the piers and river, walking riverfront path can take you to the town area 2 miles away, but there is the old cannery and the Rogue House for dining close to the hotel, and although I didn't use the services, I noticed rental of Kayaks.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Julie P
Dear Julie P,

Thank you for choosing to stay here at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Astoria Oregon. We hope to see you again soon!

Kind Regards,