“Lovely, quiet location along Columbia River”

Hampton Inn & Suites Astoria
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The architecture and landscaping of this hotel blend beautifully with the river and natural environment: kudos to the architects. Our stay here was very pleasant. My daughter and I jogged/walked along the paved riverside trail in the morning. We chose to go to the right, out of town instead of toward downtown. It was a beautiful, well-maintained trail with many birds to see and wild blackberries to eat! Our room was clean with a gorgeous view of the Columbia River and 4-5 ships waiting in the river. Parking was great and access to downtown and area attractions was easy.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MidwstrnTrvlr
Colleen C, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Astoria, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear MidwstrnTrvlr,

We are so happy that you found our building and landscapes beautiful! I am extremely happy that you had a pleasant stay! Thank you for taking advantage of the gorgeous, smooth river walk on the banks of the Columbia River directly behind the hotel. Thank you for the kind compliments about how clean your room was along with your gorgeous view from your room. Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Not the best beginning. Our room was not ready and after making a reservation 3 months in advance and calling 2 days in advance, they could not give us a room on the 4th floor, as we had requested. I asked if one might be available the next night and she said no. Didn't seem to care or want to make an effort to get us on the 4th floor. The room was large, facing the river, with a balcony. We were there for 6 nights, and only 1 morning the room was not cleaned as well as it should have been. Almost impossible to get a hot shower, lukewarm was the best we could get. It was cold when we were there and a HOT shower would have been nice. Complimentary breakfast was ok. The back of the hotel has a nice patio and grass, but no chairs, benches or anything to sit on to look out over the river. Business center is small, with only one computer and a light that goes off about every 10 minutes. I will note however, that it is probably the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in and the most comfortable bed.

Room Tip: Top 2 floors on the river side offer the best views. The larger rooms are worth the extra paid. The...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Colleen C, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Astoria, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear quail4you,
I want to thank you for taking the time to write your review. I sincerely apologize that not all of you requests were met. During June, July, August and most of September we fill up fast. We try to accommodate every guest’s requests that we can. Requests are subject to availability only. There are several factors that come into play when trying to accommodate guest’s requests. It depends on who is already in-house, staying multiple nights, and where they are located. On your arrival date is when we are able to assign your room number and meet your requests the best that we can subject to availability only. We have 19 different room types that are spread out unevenly throughout the hotel. If there is a Do Not Disturb sign on the door we can’t enter your room and housekeeping is here to clean all of the rooms that are occupied or have been occupied without a Do Not Disturb Sign. Once they are done cleaning every room they are finished with their job for the day, which can be as early as 2 to 3pm. They are not here all night and day. Housekeeping checks the DND’s (Do Not Disturb signs) a second time when they are about to leave for the day to make sure the sign has either been taken down so they can clean your room immediately or if the sign is still up then we still can’t enter and clean your room. However, guests are always more than welcome to request towels from the front desk at any time. Regarding the hot water, I sincerely apologize that you were not happy with the temperature. The temperature is set per standard to avoid burns and/or accidents.
I am happy to know that you enjoyed our free deluxe continental breakfast buffet.
We are a newer hotel and the patio furniture has already been ordered and should be here any moment. I hope you were able to enjoy the beautiful river walk directly behind the hotel that runs along the river banks for miles in front of our town.
Thank you for your compliments regarding our comfortable beds and that this is the cleanest hotel that you have ever stayed at. Our staff does an amazing job and we all strive for perfection. Thank you for choosing to stay with us!

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had originally booked a hotel in the center of town. After one night, we promptly checked out and into this hotel. It was the best decision we made all weekend! Everything was top notch! They delivered great customer service (everyone from the front desk, to the nice man moping the floor to the breakfast staff) the room was exceptionally clean and the view was OUTSTANDING. It's slightly out of town but it's a small town anyway so no issue there.

Overall - worth every penny!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear MrsReagan,
I am so sorry to hear that you had to switch from another hotel; however, we are more than grateful to you for choosing to stay here with us at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Astoria, Oregon. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for letting us know that everything was top notch during your stay with us! We strive hard for perfection and to be the best we can be to exceed all of our guest’s expectations. I am happy to know that you received great customer service from everyone of our staff. Your compliments are sincerely appreciated! Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and we welcome you back anytime!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Make sure you know what you're getting before you buy. We reserved a river view room assuming it had predominantly a river view. It had only a partial view, although this was not made clear on the website. It was disappointing to get in and realize that what we primarily would have a view of was an RV/trailer park. The larger rooms with balconies have complete river views. We expressed our disappointment and were offered a river view room if were willing to pay more. We decided to go ahead and do this since we would not be in the area again for quite a while and wanted to enjoy the beautiful view. The first bill I was presented with was for $277 on the upgrade, which was quite a bit more than what the upgrade was to cost. The lady blamed the computer system for this and then did charge us the agreed upon price for the new room, $227. The room itself was nice, clean and it was large, but the experience was less than I expected. Sliding glass door had several finger and hand prints on it, which was surprising. Customer service seemed bothered by our displeasure with the room we booked. Hampton might wish to clarify room views in order to avoid customers being unpleasantly surprised. Breakfast was good and plentiful. Parking was good. Wi-fi was available, but you needed your Hilton Honors number in order to use it. I could not seem to connect to the guest (non-HH) wi-fi. The hotel had a business feel to it. For just a few dollars more, we could have stayed at a luxury hotel in Astoria. I retrospect, had I known what I was getting and the price I would be getting it for, I would have gone with another hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure that if you want a full river-view room you call and clarify what you are getting in advan...
1  Thank Tolvanera
Colleen C, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Astoria, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Tolverana,
I’m concerned about your experience at our hotel during your recent visit. I am writing to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to my attention.
I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously, and your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.
Please be assured the issues you’ve raised have been addressed, and the appropriate action will be taken.
Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Our trip to Astoria was less than we expected. The hotel sits on property that is out of town and on the Columbia River. The view from our room was beautiful. The room was spacious and our bed faced the river. The biggest disappointment was that there was only warm water when we showered in the morning. Astoria can be quite cool even in the summer so a hot shower would have been appreciated. Neither my husband nor I were able to get a hot shower at 9:00 AM on a Monday morning. Also, the breakfast at the Hampton is less than good. If you are looking for a clean place to stay this place fits the bill. If you expect a hot shower, I would choose a time that most other guests aren't showering or another hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Colleen C, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Astoria, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Debbie I.
We want to thank you for choosing to stay with us here in beautiful historic Astoria, Oregon. We are very happy that the view from your room was beautiful and that your room was spacious. Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

SERVICE -- Lady at the front desk was flat out RUDE. We asked about changing our room to a bigger room with a better view. She called our room to tell us she had another room that we could switch to and to come down to the front desk. We packed up all of our things, headed downstairs where we then waited for 15 minutes as she talked on the phone-- as we waited didn't call for help, didn't even acknowledge us. When she finished her phone call which by the way seemed to be of a personal nature, she told us she could put us in a different room for an additional $50!! REALLY??? Couldn't have mentioned that when you call the room?
PRICE -- $170 for a SMALL room with a pathetic "view" and two queen beds. Don't let the name of this hotel fool you or the photos you see on their website. See my photos for a more realistic idea of what your room's going to look like.
Room -- Where to start....urine on the toilet seat and at the base of the toilet. Coffee served in the bathroom...seriously? Coffee pot was dirty. The room itself was pretty small. There is one smaller sized window. Door to balcony is completely blacked out. Balcony is VERY TINY & NO CHAIRS. If you have kids, know that the room is small.
AMENITIES -- Pool was excellent.
Breakfast -- Lots of options--very good. Breakfast staff ladies were very nice.
OVERALL -- Highly recommend looking around.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank goldstarjellyfish

Dear goldstarjellyfish,

Again, I want to thank you again for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write your review.
If you may have any further questions or concerns please feel free to reply to my email I sent you and or you may call me directly!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The view from the balcony room is amazing. A must request if you stay. All of the staff are very friendly and go the extra mile in being helpful. Bed extremely comfortable. Breakfast had more options than usual complimentary breakfasts. One of the nicest Hamptons I've ever stayed. Plan on another visit in the very near future.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Colleen C, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Astoria, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear susanrm242PD,

We are so happy that your room with a view was amazing! Thank you very kindly for the very nice compliments about our staff and them going the extra mile in being helpful. We strive hard to make each and every one of our guests feel as comfortable as possible. We can't wait to have you back again! Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for choosing to stay with us!