“Decor is something to see, cupcakes not so much”

Marie Antoinette's Cupcake Parlor
Freshwater, United Kingdom
“Decor is something to see, cupcakes not so much”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Kind of in an odd location (off the main strip) but then it's kind of an odd place. The decor is really something - even the bathrooms are beautiful. The dining room to the right of the front door is somewhere that would be fantastic to hold a special event. But for the size of it it does seem strange that they only serve cupcakes (4 sweet and 1 savory) and coffee. Cupcakes are overly expensive. Tasty but nothing special. They do have some neat jewelry - picked up some pretty beaded animal earrings. If you're in the area go there to have a look but I wouldn't suggest making it your destination.

• Visited June 2013

Astoria, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of a kind...This an experience you won't forget!!!”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

... and the experience starts with this wonderful old Bankers Building. When you walk through the doors you are transported into the imagination of an extremely creative person.
It's hard to know where to look first. Fantasy and whimsy are everywhere.
I though I had stepped into a Tim Burton movie set.
My sister and I went there after the Farmers Market and this was the perfect ending. We sat at a table with a ruffled tulle tablecloth and sipped our delicious Lattes served in a colorful mug. We shared the day's special cupcake "Chai with cream cheese frosting".... YUM! Totally worth the $4.50
We sat there and took our time while people watching and enjoying the reactions from everyone coming in who did the same thing we did "jaw dropped... eyes scan the room... big smile". All of the sudden we were little girls... and guess what?... THERE'S A COTTON CANDY maker. They make it fresh for you right there. Happy!
Girls you will love this, and if you are bringing a guy make sure he is man enough to appreciate such a thing.. or just leave him in the car so that YOU can take it all in.
I did seem lots of men that did appreciate it. I intend to take mine there and know he will love!
To the owner, thank you for your imagination and for sharing it with Astoria!!!

• Visited June 2013
Seattle, Washington
“A spectacle”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We discovered this place accidentally, as it is very near the Hotel Elliott. At first we were not certain it was open, but popped in and discovered the wonderland that only feathers, fabric, and a hot glue gun can achieve.

The room itself is quite large, and it seemed like everything was for sale. The decorations were unexpected and fascinating to see. We would have lingered over our coffee but the atmosphere did not feel like a comfortable place to do so – especially as the only customers in that giant cavern of space. It is too bad, as I expect they would have more business if it felt like it were possible to relax there.

Did not try a cupcake but enjoyed our coffee immensely, and the service was friendly enough. There is a tea room available for parties and a small library room of sorts attached – not sure the story behind that one but it seemed like an honor system for book lending.

Suggested for a walk-through or coffee, for spectacle alone.

• Visited May 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Very Pretty”
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Even though the cupcakes are $4.50 ea., the interior decoration is completely worth it, and the cupcakes taste really good. They have about 5 diff. flavors, including espresso. A bit hard to find unless you know about it, because the building was the old Astoria Bank on 12th.

Visited April 2013
Olympia
“Great Decor . . . & that's about all”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We had big expectations based on some great reviews of this spot & we are big cupcake (okay most desserts) fans. However, we're also very picky on good desserts based on fresh ingredients & presentation. The Cupcake Parlor unfortunately on delivered on presentation. We had picked-up a few cupcakes: Chocolate Mocha & Lemon Meringue to have for dessert that evening. We found that both flavors were overly sweet & I had to remove most of the frosting on the chocolate cupcake. Sadly enough the chocolate cake was extremely dry & basically tasted stale. Not good when I can make a better box mix cupcake. My companions said that the Lemon cupcake was good (not stale tasting), but as I had previously mentioned, a little too sweet. I had also ordered a hot cocoa to go & requested whipped cream as well. I was very surprised when they said that they didn't have whipped cream. What cafe, especially of this supposed caliber, doesn't have whipped cream? The hot cocoa was good, if simply "unfinished" by my definition. Overall, I can't say that I'll give them another try right away. At $4.50 per cupcake, I simply expected more - at least a fresh tasting cupcake.

• Visited April 2013