“Great, and even better if you get a river view room”

Holiday Inn Express and Suites Astoria
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
Reviewed 9 April 2011

This was a great place to stay. We were originally put in a nice room with a view of the parking lot and street. I called the front desk and asked to be moved, and for an additional charge got a room on the other side of the building, looking over the Columbia River and bridge to Washington. The view was 180-degrees, and we could see the jetties and mouth of the river.

The room had a gas fireplace (that didn’t stay on long, only about 30 minutes at a time), flat screen TV with DVD player and lots of cable channels. The bed was comfortable, with a light-weight comforter in a duvet cover. The bathroom was clean and decent-sized, with granite counter. There was a nook with a small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and another granite counter.

The complimentary breakfast was pretty good: scrambled eggs (salty), bacon, biscuits and gravy, bagels/muffins/bread to toast, jellies, cream cheese, couple kinds of juice, small yogurts, and bananas. It was served in a large room on the ground floor, with a wall of windows overlooking the river. There were quite a few tables.

The lobby is staffed 24-hrs, and has two fireplaces and seating areas. I noticed four cruiser-style bikes outside (not sure if they were for rent or free for guests to use). Free, easy wireless, fast and with a good signal. Slow elevator in the center of the building, and stairs at each end. Our room was quiet; we were on the 4th floor so there was no one above us. There was a small indoor pool and hot tub, laundry room (coin-op), game room with arcade games, small fitness room with 3 or 4 pieces of equipment.

The hotel is walking distance to a few restaurants, and a longer walk or short drive to lots of others on waterfront and also downtown Astoria. It is right on the trolley line, so when that is running (summer only?) it would be easy to get to all the waterfront restaurants and then walk a couple blocks up to the downtown area. There were lots of families staying there, and some of the rooms allow pets.

Room Tip: Ask at check-in which side the room is on
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express and Suites Astoria

Reviewed 9 March 2011

After two recent stays at the local Comfort Inn and Suites in Astoria my wife and I decided to try the Holiday Inn Express. While the Comfort Inn was adequate and a decent value for the money, the Holiday Inn Express was a significant step upward in amenities and overall feel of luxury for very little extra cost.

The property is situated on the Columbia River waterfront with sweeping views of the water and passing ships. Our third floor room featured a gas fireplace and the usual microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, and free Internet. The front desk was well organized, pleasant and very efficient. The room was very clean and quiet. The indoor pool, exercise room and breakfast room were also clean, modern and featured the same great view of the water. The free breakfast was unusually generous with eggs, bacon, and other prepared foods in addition to the standard cereal, muffins coffee and juice.

A waterfront trolley passes by only steps outside the back door. There are bicycles available for guests to use on the waterfront bike and walking path.

I've tried to think of one even slightly negative item to balance the review but I can't think of one. This was a delightful stay for $113 plus tax for a king bed, fireplace, and water view room.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2011

We had a beautiful suite with fireplace. Room had wonderful view of the Columbia River. Great staff. Very clean. Would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank planegirl
Reviewed 24 February 2011

Clean, modern, and very comfortable! This was a great place to come 'home' to after a day spent exploring Astoria and the surrounding area. The room was more spacious than expected for a two-queen room, and we loved the view of the bridge and river. Our child had lots of fun watching ships go by our window and then looking them up online to learn where they were from, where they were heading, and what they were transporting. We fell in love with Astoria and will definitely be going back soon, and the Holiday Inn Express makes a perfect home away from home.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Usually we drive straight through Astoria, but decided to spend a night & check out the town. staying at the Holiday Inn gave us a great taste of Astoria, with the river view bridge, boardwalk. The hotel was firrst class our room was awesome, clean, spacious & homey.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Our so called suite was one long room with the bathroom placed in the center for maximum sound effects. The master end of the room with the king bed was noisy and had no heat.
I had asked for a quiet room when I booked, and they put me right next to the Astoria bridge. I felt cold at night and turned up the heat, but alas no heat reached my area of the very long room.
I spoke with the management and they blamed me for the problems. According to the manager I got the room next to the bridge because I booked online, which doesn’t make sense to me. According to the manager it is my fault the room was cold because I didn’t get up in the middle of the night and call downstairs to request a solution.
I have stayed at lots of hotels all around the world and I at least expect the staff to acknowledge when a room is not a suite and is loud and cold. These should not be my problems to fix.
Other rooms here are nice, but given the rudeness of the manager, I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Our room was a 3rd floor mini-King suite with fireplace & a GREAT view of the river. Comfortable bed, quiet room, nice breakfast bar, also with river view. The riverside board walk & trolly line is right in back. If we stay in Astoria again this will be our #1 choice.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple