“A jewel wrapped in newspaper”
Review of Columbian Cafe

Columbian Cafe
Ranked #43 of 106 Restaurants in Astoria
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Featuring fresh local seafood and gourmet meat and vegetarian or vegan dishes.. Enjoy a specialty cocktail in the VoodooRoom, a visual homage to New Orleans.Long a favorite of locals and visitors from afar.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

To say the The Columbian Café does not have the outward appearance of an excellent place for a superior dining experience is an understatement; and that makes it all the more fun to eat there.
Using superior local ingredients of all sorts Marco prepares each dish cooked to perfection and loaded with fresh flavor. Recently, I ordered a smoked salmon crepe there after having a entrée with the same name at 2 other Astoria restaurants (Silver Salmon and Baked Alaska). If Columbia was a 5 (best), the others were about a 2. It has been like that every time we ate at Columbian for appetisers, entrees and dessert (as well as the limited wine list). Service is also top tier; the staff all seem to love what they do and the place they work.
So when in Astoria, take a chance and try this place out.

2  Thank Steve D

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a very small intimate cafe with 10 stools, 3 booths and outdoor seating. We sat at the counter opposite the grill/griddle and saw our meal being prepared to ballet precision. Allergic to shellfish? She moved it to my meal. Allergies to pasta/gluten she served it with rice.
If you get there at prime eating times there might be a wait. My partner ordered a special martini so the server sent her to their bar next door for that special concoction. What a deal.

1  Thank Mrbob3338
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I ate here on July 4th, 2014. We were only in Astoria for one night and stubmbled upon this place while walking around. We are SO happy we popped in as it turned out to be the best meal we had during our week long Oregon/Washington coastal road trip. Looks can be deceiving in this instance as the restaurant looks like a simple diner serving simple food. No simple food served here; instead it's pure delicousness. We sampled the crab cakes for an appetizer and I had the smoked salmon pasta for dinner. We enjoyed our seats at the counter because we were able watch the chef work her magic on our food. We shared a chocolate moose dessert served in a martini glass. I am not a dessert person as I would much prefer salt to sweet, but this dessert was out of this world. Definitely try it if you are at Columbian Cafe. Great service, great food, great experience. What more can you ask for?
BTW - also heard their breakfast is amazing. I look forward to trying it next time I'm in Astoria.

3  Thank Lindsay D
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Everything we had was great...a small, funky restaurant... looks like an old tavern... but the chef makes miracles in her tiny kitchen... all 4 of us had incredible dishes... great service and a fun evening... will be back as often as possible... as they also have breakfast and lunch...

1  Thank Patpv
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Terrible service in an eclectic type restaurant. Not the greatest experience and there are so many better places to eat in Astoria. Sorry buys.

2  Thank caron5948