“I expected more”

GreenLeadersBronze level
WA
“I expected more”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Mostly based on the glowing reviews here, I simply expected more. The views and cars are well covered, I'll begin with my problems with the place.
The balcony was a huge disappointment. Standing room only, not what I think of when I'm getting a balcony overlooking the water.
Temperature issues. It was an overcast day, about 60 degrees. The room was hot and stuffy. Eventually I found the fan built into the window seat, but it took awhile for the room to become comfortable. But when we went for the wine and cheese in the lobby, I found that quite uncomfortable also, just no air movement at all. The lobby has a number of Astoria/columbia River books, but it needs a bird guide!
Speaking of stuffy, that's also how we found the staff. We weren't told about the wine offering in the lobby, but we did get several minutes instruction about going entirely off the pier to smoke, not that we cared. The driver taking us to dinner was animated and kind.
Things I appreciated: the binoculars by the window seat. The window seat. The bathtub. The attempt to be green, especially the note saying you didn't need bottled water, that Astoria tap
water was good, which it was.
And then there's Astoria itself. Not much going on after dark, and no place to park if you want to visit the myriad of doodad shops in the day.
All in all, next time we'll skip it.

Room Tip: There are four floors, all face the water which is below you. Choose whether to closer to the water...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Opossums5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Ventura
Reviewed 25 April 2012

The huz & I ventured up to Astoria for our anniversary this year (January). We BOTH are big fans of rain and cool, cloudy weather - and we got what we sought! ALL rooms have lovely views of the bridge and the Columbia River (and quite often, Washington). You can spend hours in their lobby, lounging with a cup of cocoa watching the tide roll in & out. Each room is equipped with a gas fireplace, which seconds as your room heater and does a super job (watch the up/down slide temperature controls though, they're a bit counter-intuitive)! The fitness center is suitable and NEVER crowded. The shuttle service is lovely; riding in style to your restaurant in a classic car... While doing so, be sure to ask your driver about favorite spots and he'll point out several that I would agree are BRILLIANT finds! Also a FABULOUS restaurant shares the same parking lot!

Room Tip: All rooms seem equally great.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel has a nice view of the Astoria Bridge and is directly on the water. You are greeted by passing ships on a regular basis so your view is never boring. The room was very clean and had very nice amenities. There is a nice claw foot tub that also is open to the river view. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The only reason I give this hotel 4 stars instead of 5 is petty, but I just notice these things... The architecture of the lobby is very appealing to the eye, but they went and used laminate wood floors through out and I felt that was "cheaping" out when you have a view of the wood mill and the Northwest is known for it's abundance of wood. If I were to stay in Astoria again, I wouldn't bother looking anywhere else. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Magnificent setting, beautiful room, attentive staff. Stand at your window and watch the ships as they glide silently by on the Columbia River. Traveling in the Pacific Northwest just doesn't get better than this.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at the Cannery Pier and it's everything all the reviews said it was: wonderful facility with beautifu rooms, a spacious lobby area with open views of the Columbia, and a very comfortable atmosphere. You have to see these ships to appreciate their size and how close the channel is to the hotel. Very unique and quite an experience. We have stayed at other places that cost much more... for less.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Lake Oswego, OR
Reviewed 15 April 2012

If you want to spend a lot of money and have a real treat, the Cannery Pier Hotel is the place to be. Each room has a beautiful view. Ask the front desk and they will give you a list of the ships going by. They provide free bikes, (but it's a nice walk to town), wine and cheese hour and old cadillac rides into town. Our friend stayed on the hideaway bed and watched seals in the water after waking. One year they were able to get us some free tickets to Shanghai'd in Astoria. It's niext to the red barn like building that has great food as well. It's a good splurge, but sometimes at the highest price is a bit too expensive. We've been twice, between that and the Elliott hotel.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are on the water, so they're all good.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MultnomahOR
S. Oregon
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We loved this hotel so much that we had to come back and stay again and are definitely glad we did! The rooms are so so beautiful and comfortable. Even on the coldest, wettest, most grey day, the view and the sounds outside your room are spectular. The staff was exceptional, the food was delicious, and the atmosphere was just what we were hoping for, relaxed. This is such a fabulous hotel and would recommend it many times over.

Room Tip: Put excellent for pool because of the jacuzzi and for the restaurant because of the fabulous appetiz...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank shaye11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Astoria
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Astoria
Stephanie Inn
Stephanie Inn
#1 of 14 in Cannon Beach
Best Western Astoria Bayfront Hotel

Been to Cannery Pier Hotel? Share your experiences!