“Unique Boutique”

Cannery Pier Hotel
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Astoria
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Spending the night out over the Columbia River on pilings was something new. For a town the size of Astoria, this was a fun spot. It's not a super-lux place by city standards, but its very nice and we're glad to have stopped there. The lobby area is visually quite interesting, and makes really good use of angles in a building that was an old cannery. The room was nice, the bed very comfortable, the bathroom was well laid out with a separate vanity and another smaller counter with a mirror so the two of use weren't vying for the same spot. Not sure if all the rooms are laid out this way, but there were shutters that opened from the claw footed tub out to the bed area, and so had a view out to the River. The shower also looked out those same shutters. It was very interesting and enjoyable to watch the big ships go by, and in the morning, the fishing boats were on their way, too. They served wine in the evening with your choice of a red or a white, and had some very yummy hors d'oeuvres including some made with smoked locks from Josephson's Smoked Fish, which were just fantastic.

Room Tip: Good views from the third floor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,256)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We're pretty conservative about spending money on vacation, so on our recent trip to the Pacific NW, the Cannery Pier was actually the hotel we splurged the most $$$ on for a single night.

It didn't help that we arrived just as their highest rates of the year kicked in. Really, it was more than I wanted to spend, but again, we splurged.

I think other times of year, this would have been a good deal on a nice hotel, but I can't say I was overwhelmed with the value given peak pricing.

Let's get the one other potential negative out of the way: this is not exactly a classy area. As you approach the hotel, it's a pretty urban kind of feeling. Initially, I thought we might end up being disappointed staying here.

But, we weren't. Once we got over the shock of the surrounding area, we really enjoyed our stay. I write this so you can be mentally prepared.

It's a really nice hotel. It's comfortable and well staffed with helpful friendly people. View from the room was great and this should be true for all of the rooms since they all face water. In the end, we were happy we stayed here.

They offer a interesting service where they put you in a restored older car and taxi you into other areas of Astoria. We opted to just go to the restaurant across the parking lot, Bridgewater Bistro, which was recommended by the front desk people who kindly phoned in a reservation for us on the spot. This turned out to be a very good recommendation.

All in all, I'd recommend this hotel, especially if you can get here off season when the rates are drastically lower. At that point, I think it would be a very good deal on a fun and enjoyable place to stay.

Room Tip: It's out on a pier. Every room faces the water. Hard to go wrong.
2  Thank Simple_Seeker_NJ
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Cannery Pier Hotel was a welcome "home away from home."

Happened to arrive on what had been the hottest day, so far, of the year (end of June, 2014) and while a bit surprised when told that the rooms lacked air conditioning (the lobby area was air conditioned), the staff was very helpful in making the room comfortable (bringing in extra fans, turning off the "fireplace" pilot light, etc.). I have read other reviews where the lack of A/C was an issue, but it was fine for me (the breezes eventually cooled down the room and maybe my room had better ventilation because I was in a corner suite).

I put "luxury inn" in the title as this feels more like that than a full-service hotel. Not a dig as the "inn" nature gave it a more intimate feel. I have read other reviews regarding price and yes, while my room was not inexpensive, it was also not outrageous, and well in line with similar accommodations in other cities (granted, hotel prices are relative and, to some degree, destination-dependent, but I definitely felt like I got my money's worth).

As expressed in other reviews, the view from the room was amazing. Yes, a bit more balcony space (width) would have been nice, but it is difficult to top sitting on the couch, looking out over the Columbia river and seeing a huge cargo ship moving right past your window. It was at times like this when I appreciated the fact that this was not some huge, full-service hotel -- somehow the nature of the Cannery Pier Hotel helped make for a relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable ambiance.

I found the staff to be very nice and this contributed to the intimate luxury "inn" feel of the hotel. The staff went out of their way to quickly replace my small refrigerator that was not working properly.

I've read many of the reviews of this hotel and while most are extremely positive, there are some which are less so. While minor items, I'd have to agree that the insulation between floors is not up to quality of most hotels similarly priced -- I was on the third floor and could hear every footstep and bathroom visit of the person in the room immediately above me -- sometimes quite loud and disturbing sleep. Another small item is that the rooms have an excellent TV setup replete with DVD player, it would be nice if the hotel had a DVD/CD library for guests to use. Again, a small item that was of little significance.

Parking was easy and plentiful, and the hotel's location, while a bit of a walk from downtown, was, I thought, nonetheless convenient (didn't utilize the hotel classic car service, but those who did found it to be great).

I'll definitely be a returning guest.

Thank you to the folks at the Cannery Pier Hotel!

1  Thank profpop
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I started my long planned dream vacation down the Pacific Coast from Seattle to Oregon and stopped in Astoria Oregon to stay at the Cannery Pier Hotel based upon its location and its Trip Advisor reviews. I was not the least bit disappointed. What a beautiful hotel with spectacular views of the Columbia river, not to mention the dramatic effect of the big ships moving so close to us on their way to the ocean.

My room was perfect. Loved the Pendleton blanket (a little disappointed that I couldn’t purchase one), loved the bathtub with the view, the breakfast and the afternoon wine and snack. All the little touches were chosen with great care.

I liked that I could take my breakfast to which ever alcove I wanted so that sitting by myself was not so obvious. Breakfast was just fine and coffee plentiful. Liked that there were cookies out before I went upstairs to bed.

I would certainly recommend this hotel! I could easily get to the Lewis and Clark exhibitions on the other side of the river and enjoy all the salmon I could eat from the various restaurants recommended by the staff.

All fives – can give the staff one off.

Room Tip: room with a sunny view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Cheryl C
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Location, design, view, staff & rooms. Clearly the place to stay in Astoria! The view of the Columbia river, Washington & bridge linking
the is impressive. The attention to detail in the design of the hotel
is impressive. Close by is the river walkway to town including several brew pubs.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank PeterStPaul
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I hate to cut a rating from a hotel based on the attitude of one person - but I'm going to.
The hotel was amazing - with a great view and the snacks were great. It was very quite and (for the most part) the staff was great. The spot of the jacuzzi tub was amazing so that I could relax in the tub and still hold a conversation with my husband in the living room.

The only downside (which was big for me) was that we overheard other women at the check in counter giving advice and helpful tips and maps to other guests (who were checking in at the same time we were - and this seemed to be a common check in process). The woman who helped us was short and rude with us. She didn't give us any help and we really felt that we were inconveniencing her. I'm sorry - but when I'm on my honeymoon and we paid THAT much for a hotel - I at least expect you to answer me nicely. I asked if there are any fourth of July activities - and get told "well you should have gotten here sooner" -no other suggestions or reasoning (one of many examples). We were frustrated by the time we got to our room but enjoyed the view and wondered back down for wine. While drinking our wine we watched the woman and were shocked that she was overly nice and helpful to others that were checking in and thought that she must have just assumed something incorrect about us and been rude to just us. But then we saw a trend- she was rude and short to other 'young' couples and friendly to older couples. She flat out told another younger couple (very rudely) that they should have thought about making reservations earlier and then turned around and made a reservation for an older couple at the same place for the same time while smiling. We were so disappointed in this one employee that we wont be going back. No matter how great the rest of the hotel was. She made this one leg of our honeymoon less than perfect.

12  Thank Kassierunyan
Reviewed 28 July 2014

It was our first time here, and we were blown away. Our room was large, stylish and well-appointed, and the view was out-of-this-world. Some especially nice touches: the claw foot tub and W.C. in the bathroom, "window" from bathroom to the bedroom, gas fireplace, and deck overlooking the water and up at the bridge.

We also spent some time in the lobby, and it was just as lovely as the room--comfortable and stylish, with a tall wall of windows overlooking the water.

Finally, we had the opportunity to take the vintage car service to and from downtown in the evening. What a treat! The vehicles are immaculately restored, and Dick, our driver, was super nice and very helpful with recommendations of places to eat and drink.

We would stay at Cannery Pier again in a heartbeat, and highly recommend it for anybody looking for a fabulous hotel experience.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and the view was great!
1  Thank SamiMack