“Lunch interupted by camel”
Review of Casa de Tamales - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Casa de Tamales
Seaside, Oregon
“Lunch interupted by camel”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I realize that my expectations for a Mexican restaurant are different having lived in New Mexico for many years but this restaurant didn't come close to what I would expect in a Mexican restaurant. My husband and I went on a Saturday afternoon. There was a family and a single at tables but no wait staff. We looked around for someone but could not find anyone. The single said someone should be out shortly so we took a seat. 5 minutes later a server brought out the family's food and noticed us there. After that the service was acceptable. I ordered a chile relleno and my husband ordered a pork and aspargus tamale. Chips and salsa could be ordered for $5 but we didn't need any. Our food was warm but the aspargus garnish on top was warm at one end and cold on the other. The black beans had no flavor. The rice was generic. The chile relleno had no seasoning and the creamy cheese sauce that was suppose to be on it was a green chile sauce--again very bland. My husband's tamale was mostly dough. The waiter asked if my husband had aspargus in his tamale which we thought was a strange question, but since my husband couldn't find any in the tamale, the waiter must have suspected it didn't. As we were finishing the owner arrived bringing in supplies. He propped the door open and left it open letting in the cold air. Then the family let their children ride the camel ride which was next to our table. Perhaps the ride should be moved away from the tables. Now we were cold and could no longer hear each other--time to leave. We will not return.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank SeaStar41

Ilwaco, Washington
“Excellent all around--especially the Bacon Wrapped Asparagus”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This is a funky little restaurant in Astoria Oregon that comes from the Canby Asparagus farms. I'll start with the food. All the food was excellent. We went as a party of 4 with two kids and then two friends joined us. Everyone totally cleaned up their plates, even the two kids. The Margaritas were very well made, the bacon wrapped asparagus as an appetizer is a must. I hade the Chicken Enchilada, my partner had a veggie enchilada, son had steak tacos and daughter had cheese Quesadilla. Everyone raved about their meal. The presentation of the food was beautiful. The service was fun. It is a tiny restaurant. Our waiter had a wonderful personality, although a little awkward. He enjoyed his job and enjoyed the food that they prepared. He also took care of the kids. The décor is worth writing about also. It is very eclectic we totally enjoyed looking at all the "stuff" on the walls, from the action figures to the virgin Mary, to all the other odd choices for décor. Lastly, the kids loved writing on the pad of paper in the bathroom...Overall it was a great experience and this will become one of our regular places to eat in Astoria.

• Visited March 2014