“Great Beer Terrible Restaurant”

Rogue Ales Public House
Ranked #23 of 106 Restaurants in Astoria
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This Rogue Ales location shouldn't be ever confused with their 2 locations in Newport, Oregon. It has never been an equivelant in all of the years it's been open, but we've been loyal customers to Rogue for 20 years now. This last visit to Astoria's location, however, was the end of our visits. The chowder is nothing like the Newport location's and is a failing, and the Ruben sandwich, despite quality ingredients was burned black. The place was so dark that the waitress didn't seem to notice or care. The bread served with the chowder is SO scanty as to be barely about 3 bites. Just so disappointed because we go to Astoria a few times a year and this was our standard eating destination. Really down-hill. Only good parts were the always stellar beers, the samplers, and the view of sea lions. I hate to even say such things against Rogue, but it's time.

1  Thank J W

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The location just a short walk from Hampton Inn and Suites means that you could enjoy several ales and not drink drive a major plus! The atmosphere created in this Rogue meeting hall is very pleasant and relaxed with helpful wait staff who are knowledgeable about the ales on sale. They seemed genuinely interested in selling you an ale that you would enjoy not just pushing the current favourites. The guy who served us hit the target with me anyway! We ate a selection of appetisers rather than a meal and it was very good quality locally produced products(mostly). Cheese platter was brilliant served with some delicious chutney! A very pleasant experience which I would be happy to repeat at any given time!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The scenic view of Astoria and the Columbia river is all this place has to offer. Their Beer selection is not bad but good beer can be had anywhere these days. Where the fun came to a dead stop was the food.

The Chipotle Chicken Pasta was advertised as a Penne pasta, chicken with red and green bell peppers, onions, Garlic and chipotle sauce. What arrived was elbow pasta (mac & cheese style), no onions, no garlic that I could see or taste with a sauce that was extremely thin and runny. The flavor was nothing to get excited about... I ate it without commenting to the staff about its shortages from the menu description.

Our other order on the other hand, had to be addressed. Fresh caught, broiled NW Chinook Salmon... Being from the NW, I know what to expect when Salmon is on the menu. It's also pretty hard to prepare Salmon poorly as long as it's not over cooked. What was presented to us was the driest piece of fish I've ever seen or tasted. It was literally petrified around the edges. This is a coastal town that offers Salmon and other seafood on the menu at virtually every resturaunt in town that will deliver the best seafood dishes in the world, hands down... At The Rogue, It could have been prapared better in Nebraska by someone who had never seen a Salmon before. The dish was supposed to come with cauliflower and Brocoli. It came with corn and rice. The corn was heavily overcooked and the rice was undercooked (inedible).

When we were asked how the food was, we had to be honest and told them the Salmon was terrible... They offered to bring us some Seafood sauce to spead over it as to juice it up a bit which took about 10 minutes and the Salmon was cold by then. The waitress apologized and said that several customers had said the same thing. She blamed it on their fish supplier rather than accept that they don't know how to prepare a meal... As compensation, she offered to bring us water.... yes, water. We each had one beer with our meal and it would have been a nice jesture for them to comp us for that at least but that didn't happen. It was getting close to closing time and they were more anxious to get out of there than provide good service... The prices are not modest and there food does not deliver what the scenery does... If you see the Rogue Brewery in Astoria, keep on going and don't look back.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Located in an old cannery the views of the river and the ships are amazing. The food is very good I had a burger, the quality of the product was very good, very juicy, even though it was over done. My wife had the halibut fish and chips, the batter was thick but very light with great seasoning, and the fish tasted fresh. I would recommend this place, and I will be back.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Skip the food. We sat for about 10 minutes before being waited on and the waiter helped us choose our beers for sampling. We ordered lunch and the food was terrible! I had a super soggy Ruben that was so fatty and tough you couldn't eat it. My husband felt sorry for me and shared his hamburger which was just okay. Beautiful place for a pub too bad they can't cook.

1  Thank Quilter219