“Nice Unique Lunch”

Ranked #1 of 4 Bakeries in Astoria
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: We're a worker-owned cooperative whose mission is to serve delicious, organic food; foster joyful work; and build up our community. Every ingredient used in our foods, breads, pastry, chocolate, and coffee is sourced specifically for quality, wholesomeness, and sustainability. We foster kinship among workers, our regulars, and with our community by donating our excess to the tables of those in need; supporting our local schools, farmers, and nonprofit organizations; and offering cultural and educational events to bring people together throughout the year. Workers earn an average of $13.50 per hour, paid leave that is accrued after three months of employment, scheduling that is worker-focused and flexible, dental benefits, one staff meal and drink per five hour shift with a 30 minute paid lunch break, a 25 percent discount, a fresh loaf of bread per week, and access to wholesale ordering. The kin work involved in consensus-based decision making and management requires a commitment to communication and trust-building within the work community. What does this look like? Proactively seeking feedback before and after shifts, working – not only efficiently, but – mindfully, being a reliable person, reciprocating good will, giving direct feedback early and often, listening to seek understanding – especially in conflict, and avoiding victim mentality by being both vulnerable and accountable.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The portions weren't as big as I would like, but the food was great. The food is a little eclectic and unique. My kids mentioned there was no meat on the menu; so a vegan type menu. We definitely aren't vegan, but the food was great and even the kids loved it.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

A quick stop on a late afternoon produced few choices for our sweet tooth but intrigued us enough to come by the next morning. Sure enough, the counter was filled with tasty looking treats - a few savory and many sweet. We ordered two drip coffees and a savory croissant for the morning break. The croissant was slightly small, overbaked to the point of losing much of the moisture. Without the butteriness, the spice mix seemed a bit harsh. The counter help was not that - not helpful at all. They demonstrated little knowledge of the offerings and were quite cranky when asked to refill the milk container for coffee. And, no free coffee refills here! The cafe is a beautifully restored building, with enormous rustic beams, rough concrete walls and fun paint colors and techniques. The customers were widely varying - a young man talking to his laptop, a group of tourists, several young mothers with their children and strollers - an interesting people watching venue. There is a fascinating assortment of periodicals for reading or purchase - not the usual ones but rather the unusual, particularly focusing on the arts. A pleasant and busy stop to begin our morning!

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

What a comfortable, airy, happy place to eat. Contrary to another review, my Danish and lemon bar weren't nearly as sweet as ones you would get in any normal bakery. Our salads were fabulous. They were fresh and good size.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Blue Scorcher is a great bakery using the best ingredients and has some pastries that are both unique (in my experience) and superb. In addition, using all organic ingredients (local whenever possible), Scorcher also makes breakfast and lunch items that are just loaded with good taste. Daily there are pizza by the slice that are among my favorites; also the huge breakfast burrito and the daily soups are standouts. If the NY times ever did a 36 hours in Astoria, it could not fail to include Blue Scorcher, it just couldn't .

Reviewed 10 July 2014

After reading a recommendation of this bakery, I took the opportunity to visit Blue Scorcher while in Astoria. I went for the baked goods, and picked 5 different items to try. I have to say, I'm impressed on a few levels. Each of my choices was excellent: I started w: a potato nut cinnamon role, which looked good in the display, but exceeded my expectations in flavor & texture. I then sampled a chocolate cream filled puff, an oat cake, a garlic knot, & later, a brownie. I even ate toasted bread w/ butter. I am more than satisfied- my senses (sight, smell, taste, & feel) were delighted! I over-ate, to be sure but left an enthusiastic fan. I will certInly be back to try more treats at Blue Scorcher. Thank you, team!