“great 'hole in the wall' mexican”
Review of Rio Cafe - CLOSED

Rio Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I love lots of different kinds of ethnic foods, but one of my favorites is Mexican. In my home town in Colorado, there are lots of variants, but I really love good 'hole in the wall' mexican food. Cafe Rio is right up there with the ones I like at home. One of the reviewers gave a marginal review... I agree it is not a fancy or new venue, but the owner/waitress was friendly and great. We shared the shrimp fajitas and the queso fresco. It was all really good.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Service was excellent! The owner was our waitress and she totally took care of our kids. The food was yummy and different, my husband loved his, Not authentic Mexican, no, but it's ASTORIA OREGON, so what do you expect? My shrimp was great. The owner greeted several locals who came in like they were friends and treated us like family, which makes me really happy.
The salsa is great! So fresh.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

This place was well reviewed, and quite frankly, it's not very good. It's very run down, and kinda tacky and dirty. They don't give you chips unless you want them in place of one of your meal choices. They weren't impressive, the salsa was ok. I was looking forward to having some pork carnitas, what I got was super,crunchy, over-fried pieces that were like popcorn size doused in a mild chunky red sauce. Beans and rice were very bland and not worth eating. My husband did not anything he got either. This is a place that clearly does not care if you like them or not. It's needs a lot of TLC.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I'm with this guy:

"Little hole in the wall place. Nothing fancy. Had great 70's rock music going. Waitress was excellent. Food was ok. Not what I would call very authentic Mexican. Decent portions and good prices."

Ditto. We probably won't go back.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I ADVISE YOU NOT TO COME TO THIS RESTRAUNT! WORST customer service experience I have ever endured!! When we first got there we order a shrimp cocktail that was okay. My husband order a verde chicken burrito and I order some chicken burrito with only salsa on it. My husband does not like fresh cilantro can only eat it if it’s cooked so he asked for no cilantro. The owner informed that there was cilantro in the sauce but that was fine. Our order came and all he could taste was cilantro so we switched dishes. The green burrito was horrible it was smothered in a watery green sauce. It was so watery that my rice and beans were soaked. It was like they poured a “Green Chile” soup all over it. So I asked the owner if this burrito was normally so watery. WOW did this open the gates to hell!! She was very offended but offered to take it off our bill or get us something else. We decided we didn’t want anything and she aggressively took the plate off our table. Went in the back (we were sitting right next to the kitchen) and threw the plate and yelled I’M MAD!!! Not once after that did she come back and check on us or say anything else to us. We went up to the counter to pay and the bill was not adding up right since she took the burrito off. I questioned her about it and immediately she got offended once again and tossed her calculator at me and said you already wasted 9 of my dollars you can add it up. THIS IS WAS THE OWNER JUST A REMINDER!! I was so distraught by this I raised my voice and told her you NEVER talk to your customers like this! Her respond was I do not care just pay me and get out! I told her I was going to tell everyone about this awful experience and once again she raised her voice and responded I DON’T CARE! Their food has never been good anyways I have tried numerous dishes and have only found one dish that is worth my money. I will give them this though they make awesome margaritas!