“Lovely house, good location”
Review of Rose River Inn

Rose River Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Astoria B&B and Inns
Coventry, England
“Lovely house, good location”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

A 1 night stop in Astoria at the Rose River Inn B&B was perfect - Sunflare room was nice with the added bonus of the sitting area. Everything you could wish for in a bathroom is provided and there is also access to a fridge / ice if required. There is a brewery / pub at the end of the road and more other options for food etc than you might think.
The breakfast was very tasty - but it is only served at 8.30, so if you were to miss it, tough. This is made very clear when you book and also when you arrive, so it's not a big deal, & as I said it was a very tasty neal, so worth getting up for!
All in all a nice place to stay for 1 night on our journey south.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Lorna D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed here with a friend 4 summers ago for The Goonies 25 Anniversary. It was an amazing experience! When we arrived, there was a Goonies magazine and Baby Ruths on the bed! The owners were so nice and welcoming. Breakfasts were delicious! The location was great, just a short walk down to the main street. Walking back up was quite the work out! Astoria is a charming town. This is where I would stay next time I enjoy this place!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tawnee S
Atascadero
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Charming, well kept, nice attention to detail. Great location in the old Victorian part of town but in walking distance of downtown. I loved the way Pam decorated the place with her own collections of vintage items, she has a real talent for displays that are interesting while avoiding being cutesy.
The place was very quiet, breakfast was nicely done and tasty and the inn keepers were friendly and interesting to chat with. The gardens around the house were as nicely kept as the house. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: We had the room with a bath but no shower. However, the bath has a hand-held sprayer so one may sha...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mongooAtascadero
Cloverdale, CA
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My daughter and I spent 2 nights here on a recent trip up the OR coast! We had a wonderful stay here! Will definitely come back. Stayed in the Inspiration suite at the top of the house. Perfect for us, we could be together in the sitting area, but had room lots of room to spread out and spend time by ourselves. Very comfortable King size bed! Nice large bathroom with clawfoot tub! Loved the Happy Hollister books! I had that set when I was young (50 years ago) and read one that I hadn't seen before! Craftsman house is lovely with beautiful yard. The food was fabulous! My daughter is vegan and they prepared lovely breakfasts for her in addition to the lovely food everyone else had. Would definitely come back. Wonderful hosts! Can't say enough good things about this place!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank susanmcc
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I've stayed at a few B&Bs over the years, but never received this particular quality of excellent service. Pam and David keep a beautiful historic home, and they do it extremely well.

My fiance and I were greeted happily even as we approached the cute entrance gate into the front yard. Believe me when I say that the pictures here don't do the ornate garden any kind of justice. The welcome was warm and pleasant while still being professional. We were immediately given all the information we needed to get right to making ourselves at home, and there was nothing stopping us from doing exactly that.

The Romance Package went over extremely well with my fiance. The chocolate covered strawberries were fresh, huge, and fantastic. The option of having sparkling cider instead of wine was a very nice surprise since most hotels don't offer a non-alcoholic option (or any options other than their standard fare for that matter). Pam was also ever so helpful when it came to accommodating my fiance's deep-seated distaste for red roses (she was open to suggestions as to what flowers should appear in the room, and provided beautiful yellow roses instead of the default red).

The Rose River Inn has an extensive DVD library for when your feet are killing you from exploring the gorgeous Oregon coastline. Everything about the room and amenities was absolutely amazing, and well beyond what I would have expected from just about anywhere short of a five-star hotel. Speaking of five-star, Pam's breakfast is, by itself, worth the entire trip to Astoria. Everything involved from the coffee (or tea, if that's your cup of... tea...) to the fresh fruit bowls to the delicious dessert cake was always incredible.

To put it mildly, we had the best time that anyone could expect from a Bed and Breakfast and then some.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Othello Room, but honestly I can't imagine that any room would be better than a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank taylor0910
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Services is excellent, very clean and comfortable. Nice garden with lots of flowers, breath taking view while you enjoy an awsome breakfast all homemade by the owner. Very nice patio where you can seat and relax while watching the boats at the Columbia River. Hightly recommend it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Maritza C
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Our difficulty with this B & B primarily related to two matters:
First - throughout the house, bedroom, and even the bathroom, there were numerous postings of what to do...what not to do; so many in fact, that we were not really comfortable as a 'guest' since there were so many "requirements"; even so, it was late in the day, so we accepted the situation;

Second - after taking a relaxing bath, we turned on the TV and put it at a sound level that was comfortable for us; we were then told to turn down the sound, as it was too loud. the 'posting' on the TV stated that the sound should be no greater than "20". We tried that, but my wife, who has excellent hearing, could not hear a thing. The innkeeper then advised us to use the 'sub title' feature on the TV. We couldn't make the sub-titles work on the TV, so we asked the Innkeeper to show us how to adjust the TV to show the sub-titles. Neither she, nor her husband could make the sub-title feature effective, although they did spend a lot of time trying. After a while however, they both just gave up trying and handed us back the TV remote control .

Unprofessional that an innkeeper would ask their guests to do something that they, themselves, didn't even have a clue to do.

In apparent frustration, the innkeeper then asked us to leave the premises, stating that there would be no charge. We appreciated that gesture, and stated that a small reduction in the room tariff would certainly be fair and reasonable, rather than a complete waiver of the room tariff.

The innkeeper refused our offer...so, we left.

In our judgment, after having visited many, many B & B's, this innkeeper is ill-suited to manage any B & B, and for that reason, our recommendation to travelers is to avoid this place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank johnandlinda19178
roseriverinn, Owner at Rose River Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
This couple arrived at our home between 4 - 4:30. Upon their arrival I showed them to their room. As he stated after they took a "relaxing bath" they turned on the TV. We had a full house that day and a guest came downstairs and complained that another room had a tv too loud. In the ten years that we have been doing this B & B, it is not the first time that I have had to ask a guest to turn down the tv. When I knocked on the door the wife answered and I asked if she could please turn down the tv. She stated to me her husband has a hard time hearing, that is when I suggested to use the sub title. I went back downstairs and could still hear the tv from the kitchen. He then came down and stated he could not get the remote to work. I went up and tried to figure out the remote but could not, so I went and got my husband, who also tried to get it to work. All the time we were doing this he was very condescending towards us. Saying we should know how to work the remote. It became apparent that we were not going to figure it out, that was when he said I guess I will have to look at four walls all night. We knew he was unhappy over not being able to watch tv as loud as he wanted it to be. I had to consider my other guests also, so we offered him the option if he wanted to stay to please turn down the tv, which he refused to do or he could leave at no charge. At this point that is all I could do for him. I NEVER told him to leave. He talked to his wife in front of us and stated they would leave, they were gone by 5:30. We do not even advertise that we have tv's in the room. That is just a bonus, but I have never had someone so rude to me as he was all over a tv set. In the ten years we have been doing this B & B and jduging from the other reviews in the past, we feel very well suited for this career.