The Stone Village Tourist Camp
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Fort Davis
See available hotels
View Hotel
All reviewsmcdonald observatoryexcellent breakfast and lunchnormal hotel roomssmall poollodging optionsbig bendft davisroad tripenjoyed our staycomfortable bedsin towncinnamon rollsmorning coffeeair conditionercool placerandalldeli
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband and I spent over 3 weeks road-tripping around West Texas in October 2011 and had made advance reservations to stay at the Stone Village Tourist Camp for two nights as a break from tent camping about mid-way through the trip. Our first choice was the Indian Lodge at Davis Mountains State Park, but it had no vacancy so we decided on Stone Village and are glad we did. The man who greeted us was very warm and friendly, and gave us tips about the general area as he checked us in. The motel is located directly on the "main drag" in the town of Fort Davis, but it was not a loud or congested area - Fort Davis is a very small town. There is a small pool and an outdoor seating area with some Adirondack chairs and pine trees, located right next to the road. It was a bit chilly for swimming while we were there and the pool's heater was broken, so we did not spend a lot of time there, but the pool area was attractive and charming. We stayed in room 5, located in the renovated older building. It has two queen beds, and a desk and armchair in the bedroom, and a second room containing a table and chairs, small fridge, microwave and coffee maker. In addition, there was a large cabinet unit for stowing away items. Since we had been camping, we had a cooler full of food, other groceries, laundry to sort, etc, so it was nice to spread out and have enough space for all our stuff. The furniture was in good shape, not dated and was reasonably attractive, but won't win the place any interior design awards. We loved the clean, bright hardwood floors and the original natural stone that covered some of the walls in our unit. The free wi-fi was a little slow, but it worked. The bathroom was tiny, with a small vanity and sink outside the toilet/shower room. I noticed that the paint job in the bathroom was sloppy, but that was easy to over look, given our overall satisfaction. Something I liked about the place was the DYI feel of the management. I got the sense that the desk staff, cleaning staff, etc. are all one and the same and really care about the place. The owners are "hands-on". The natural food grocery immediately next door is owned by the same people and was handy for picking up snacks and beverages, including beer and wine. Complimentary with the room was a daily cup or two of the delicious organic coffee available in that store - a wonderful "perk"! There are Adirondack chairs on the walkways in front of the rooms, but unfortunately most of the view from there is of the guests' cars and trucks parallel parked directly in front of them. Still, it was nice to have an outdoor place to sit and enjoy a beer or two. It was a short drive to great area attractions such as the scenic loop drive, Fort Davis National Historic Site and McDonald Observatory, all highly recommended. We washed clothes at a handy laundromat a couple of blocks away. A black cat named Atticus lives on the grounds, but was not interested in letting us pet him. All in all, we felt very at home here and would be very happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I decided to take a random solo weekend road trip to the McDonald Observatory, and I saw that Stone Village was one of the closest accommodations, and the cheapest. So I called and reserved a camp room for 1 night. When I arrived, Randall the owner gave me a warm welcome, and lots of tips on good eats in town. My camp room was cozy and neat, and the bed was beyond comfortable. And the deck by the pool had some good chairs for lounging outside and watching the stars.

Overall: I slept well, I enjoyed chatting with the owner, it was convenient and close to both the McDonald Observatory and the town of Marfa, and it was super cheap. When I get to visit Fort Davis and Marfa again, I'll definitely call up Randall for another reservation with Stone Village.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Charming renovated motor court with modern conveniences. I stayed in a queen efficiency, room #4 to be exact. The room amenities included a walk in shower, working AC, ceiling fan, desk, tv and two sitting chairs.

The only things that were not perfect was my well traveled laptop could not find the wi-fi and the bathroom was pretty small. I was pretty tired after a 12 hr drive and went to bed early so I didn't really miss the wi-fi.

There's no coffee or continental breakfast but just across the parking lot is the Stone Village Grocery Store that has a nice selection of coffee, pastries and breakfast biscuits/croissants. The store also has just about anything else you might need during your stay.

While in Ft. Davis besides seeing the fort, I highly recommend the scenic loop and don't forget to go back out after dark and see all the stars (you don't have to go to the observatory just get out of the city lights).

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Really lovely little place. We had a camp room which has three stone Walls and one screen wall with a heavy curtain. Super clean and a great place to escape the city.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 16 September 2011

No need to worry that you are traveling alone. You will feel safe, comfortable and spoiled. You can park your car at your door and never move it till you leave. I spent my days in the pool and enjoyed bread, wine and cheese from store just steps from my room. Evening walks thru town were enjoyed with my dog. They are extremely pet friendly. Going back as soon as I can!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo