“This lodge rates an "A" and an "F" so that equals "C"”
Review of Indian Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Davis
Indian Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Fort Davis B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Indian Lodge presents me with a problem. In some ways it is magnificent -- the Pueblo-style architecture, the way it nestles each room in the natural setting, the magnificent 1930s-era handcrafted furniture, the serene period decor of the room. In other ways, it is maddeningly inadequate -- NO alcohol of any kind served at the restaurant and none allowed to be seen in public anywhere, a lovely kiva-style fireplace that has been SEALED UP, floors so thin that the contractor should have been sued, and maintenance standards so low that the heater vent grill was nearly 100% clogged. Concerning alcohol, Jeff Davis County is "dry" but a restaurant in town has a liquor license. I believe the no-alcohol policy is a State Park policy, which means we had to drive in to town every night to get a decent meal. This was New Year's Eve and the lndian Lodge restaurant was serving bubbly grape juice. Really??? As for the forbidden fireplaces, I've stayed at a number of other adobe-style lodgings that have managed to keep their fireplaces in working order and managed proper sustainability practices. Why can't Indian Lodge do the same, instead of bricking up the fireplace? We stayed in January, and a fire would have been so romantic and functional. I was prepared for bad flooring, as many others have complained. But these floors squeak with every step and are so porous that we heard our downstairs neighbors speak as if they were in a tent next to us. We felt guilty walking around or speaking in a normal voice, knowing we'd be disturbing people. Overall, the room seemed clean but when we tried to get more heat, my husband noticed the ceiling vent was thoroughly clogged. He said he can't imagine why the heating system hasn't shut down, and this is neither safe nor hygienic practice. Bottom line: The state of TX has a lovely, unique resource in the Indian Lodge but they need to get a more professional operator in there and need to accept the reality that people enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and that doesn't make us residents of Sodom and Gomorrah!

Room Tip: Flooring is cheap and squeaky and lets in huge amounts of sound from the room above/below. Get a 2n...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Bagan

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Our room looked out on spectacular views of the Davis Mountains. It was spartan, but cozy. Be warned, there are fireplaces, but they are sealed off. The staff at the front desk are super friendly and very knowledgeable about the area. The bed had a comfy mattress with a lovely warm bedspread, and the pillows were just right. We did find it strange that the mattress didn't fit in the frame, and there was a 6-8 inch gap on the side of the bed. Nonetheless, we can highly recommend a fantastic stay at the Indian Lodge, and would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This is a restored property from the CCC days and you get pretty much what you would expect. We had been told our room had views of the mountains, but not really. The windows were above the headboard of the bed, so you had to sit on the bed to look out them. So, really no view. We had also been told while there was no internet in the rooms, there was in the lobby. NOT! You could get a signal but no one could get any site to load or email to work. Room was appropriately spar ten as you would expect from a state park. But everything worked. The restaurant was simple yet very good food and of course, Texas friendly service and great prices.

I would go back to the park but stay in Ft. Davis proper. If you're OK with total isolation (no cell service nor internet) and a bit rustic rooms, then this place will be fine.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank funlonghorn
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This place is exceptional, from the amenities in the rooms, to the beds, to the décor, and to the value. You have to go here to really experience ALL that it has to offer. It's tranquil, beautiful, next to hiking trails, and friendly. The four nights we spent here on this trip were always enjoyable to the extreme. What a contrast, in price(cheaper) and appointments to the Chisos Mountains Lodge at Big Bend.

Room Tip: Book early as it's a popular place.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I love staying at the Indian Lodge in the Davis Mountains. I always stay in the historic section. I am a Certified Historic House Specialist so I LOVE historic properties! This lodge is amazingly photogenic and in a beautiful setting as well! I love to stay here because it is so unique and my dollars help to preserve this historic lodge as well as helping the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. I have stayed once by myself and once with my husband. Both times we ate on site at the Black Bear restaurant. The Black Bear is good, nothing spectacular but a nice restaurant to eat at without leaving the lodge. From the Indian Lodge, it is easy to run up to the McDonald Observatory. We attended both their Night and Day programs. It is also close enough for the short and beautiful drive to Balmorhea to see and swim in the spring fed pool there. I also love to go to the Fort Davis National Historic Site in Fort Davis. I love the Henry O. Flipper exhibit there! I always head to Marfa TX, Fort Leaton and the Big Bend State Park and Big Bend National Park afterwards.

Room Tip: I love the historic section and have never stayed in the new section. That is just my preference.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TexasTravelorR
Reviewed 7 December 2013

It's not Paris, France nor is it Hawaii. If that is your 1st choice, please go there so we have more room to move around in the Big Bend area. My wife and I visited Marathon, the Chisos Basin, Alpine and Marfa, and the best of all, Fort Davis National site at the Fort. We have stayed at the Limpia Hotel, some of the rentals in town in Fort Davis, but the very best in our opinion is the Indian Lodge located a few miles outside of town is the very best for comfort and quiet, with an onsite restaurant, cable TV and WiFi is available. Our hearts belong to the Lodge and we have been visiting since 1986.

Room Tip: A view from evey room, but if you have problems climbing or walking long distances the the reservati...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tom G
Reviewed 1 December 2013

What a wonderful getaway!! My best friend and I were on a girl's trip and I was lucky enough to score the executive suite at Indian Lodge. It was wonderful because we had a ton of photography equipment spread out everywhere. The suite is room #135 and is atop the far right of the lodge if you are facing the Black Bear from the courtyard. The first room is a den area with a couch, chair and a flatscreen TV. The second room had two very comfy queen beds, another flat screen tv, a telephone, 3 lamps, adequate outlets for charging electronics, although I would still pack a powerstrip/surge protector. The restroom was very large and had a nice, tub with plenty hot water. The grounds were impeccable and I would stay here again in a second!

Room Tip: Get the Executive Suite if you can or one of the suites if they are open. The only drawback is that...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
#3 of 13 in Alpine
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
Quarter Circle 7 Hotel
#4 of 13 in Alpine

Been to Indian Lodge? Share your experiences!