“Lower your expectations”
Review of Prude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Davis
Prude Ranch
Houston, Texas
“Lower your expectations”
Reviewed 21 March 2009

The Bad: Old, caved in mattresses---Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner served on styrofoam plates (!)----$14.95 for 1/3 chicken breast w/ cream of mushroom soup poured on top---No updating of rooms since...1970s?---No usual dude ranch activities...no campfires, cookouts, cowboy stories, smores, etc----

We stayed in room 42. The room was large but well worn. Bring your own shampoo and hair drier!

No cell service, no internet service, no phone, no tv in room, no tub in room--tiny shower only. You can drive into the town of Ft. Davis and get cell phone access (6 miles).

We saw their cook having dinner at hotel restaurant in town. Uh oh.

The Good: Horseback riding @ $30 per person---Nice scenery---It's near the McDonald Observatory---Not in town.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank houstontiger60

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed 14 August 2008

Our daughter took part in a two week summer camp with lots of horseback riding at Prude Ranch which she absolutely loved (Can I go back for the whole summer next year? she asked.)

My husband and I stayed over night in one of their cabins when we went back to pick her up. It was basic, but very clean, very quiet and so relaxing. We ate supper that night and breakfast the next morning with all the campers. Good, basic food with plenty to eat.

That part of Texas is wonderful to drive through -- absolutely beautiful views.

• Liked — Quietness
  • Disliked — a little run-down
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Mugzy25
Alamo, California
Reviewed 28 March 2008

My family (husband, 8 yr. old daughter, 6 yr. old son) and I stayed three nights at Prude during spring break. We enjoyed the peace and solitude at the ranch. We spent lots of time on the porch watching our kids collect treasures (rocks, sticks, etc.) and run around.

We stayed in cabin 20 and the accomodations were pretty basic: 2 beds, a table and chair set, a rocker in the room. There was a sink area with a mirror and place to hang your clothes, and a small bathroom with a very small shower stall, another sink and toilet. Note to tall folks: our shower head was very, very low. Also, warm water was a premium when we had neighbors. Housekeeping was great! Although there are no TVs or telephones in the cabins, there are TVs in the lodge and reception area with DisneyChannel access! :) I really enjoyed the lack of TVs and phones.

Food is also basic. You can definitely fill up at the family-style mealtimes. Hidden gem: In town, there is a small trailer on the left-hand side (as you go into Ft. Davis from Prude) next to the convenience/liquor store. It is called Lupita's-YUMMY!!!! Great gorditas, burritos, chalupas, burgers. Place your order and have a seat at the picnic tables to wait. Great place to eat, sit and listen to locals talk about goings-on.

We rode horses on the trail ride and enjoyed that. I thought the ride was easy enough for beginners, but had some exciting elements for them, as well. The wranglers were top-notch. Our kids discovered a horseshoe set-up in the field in front of our set of cabins, so we all did that, too. The indoor pool was open, and although we didn't swim, plenty of others were enjoying themselves. We saw lots of kiddos on bikes and wished that we had thought to bring ours. For the amount of space and the facilities that Prude has, I think they could offer a few more things for families... s'mores each night, sunrise/sunset rides, lunch rides, games, riding demos in the arena...

All in all, we had a nice time at Prude. Most of the staff went way beyond the call of duty to be friendly, help and make our stay pleasant. For us, that is what makes or breaks a place.

• Liked — people, scenery, peace
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank raiderloon
Texas
Reviewed 25 November 2007

Total relaxation!! Prude Ranch is not the place to stay if you have to be pampered to have a good time (such as a big hot tub and gourmet food). This is West Texas at its finest. Historic, rustic, beautiful and peaceful. The staff and other visitors were extremely friendly and helpful. The location is central to a great number of activities (Observatory, Multiple State and National Parks, Museums, Alpine, Marfa, etc.). Get out and experience nature. The horseback riding was wonderful and the skies really are "big and bright deep in the heart of Texas." The food was served bunkhouse ranch style and was exactly what was needed for active adventurers. It was tasty and no one went hungry. Dining at the ranch is not mandatory and we spent several evenings at some of the interesting and historic restaurants in Fort Davis, Alpine and Marfa. I would highly recommend Prude Ranch. We did not really appreciate how much we enjoyed ourselves until we were back in the everyday grind.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank paintpony
Jayton,Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2007

after i got back i had to tell my mom everything about the ranch, she is planning to take me and my sister and my grandma back. We are going to see my uncle

• Liked — horse riding and hiking
  • Disliked — how cold the pool was
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank nick_finch67
lake charles, la
Reviewed 31 July 2006

The Prude Ranch is a one-of-a-kind experience for anyone. There is really something for all ages--from the very young to the "over 80 crowd." Just sitting on the porch of your living area is worth the trip. This was our second time to the Prude, and it was just as good as the first time. We have taken friends and family from ages 2 to 80. They've all really enjoyed it.

Keep the Prude just as it is! Joe and Lydia Cash.

• Liked — the location
  • Tips/Secrets — Great place to get away from the fast world we live in.
  • Stayed July 2006
2 Thank lych
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 25 July 2005

Highlights: Our Room was wonderful for a family of five. We stayed in "The Spanish Room" and it had a king bed and two sets of bunk beds. It also had two shower stalls - very interesting feature. The room was great. Rustic, but nice.

The interaction with the summer camp kids was great. As we had young kids, the camp staff invited us to all of the evening activities. My kids got to participate in a scavenger hunt with the camp kids, as well as a game of Capture the Flag. Very accomodating.

The location is everything the website says it is. It is Ft. Davis/Davis Mountains at their finest moment. No, there are no mountain peaks in view, but high hills surround the location, and it is three miles to town and three miles to the Observatory.

The price - we paid $75 a night. I appreciate that the cost was so reasonable for such a destination place. However, I would have probably paid more had some of the other stuff found below been available...

Lowlights: Horseback riding for a family of five is $100 for an hour. It seems as if they could throw in one ride for free as they market themselves as a ranch. My kids were disappointed that they only got to ride horses one time.

The food is school cafeteria quality. I "get" the whole community-style ranch eat-together routine. No problem there. But the quality of the food was similar to a high school cafeteria. Also, they only offer chuckwagon-type dinners for groups larger than even two families (I'm not sure but I think 20 is the smallest group).

This might sound picky, but the place is in serious need of a fancy hot tub. The pool is typical for an indoor pool - freezing cold even in July. A ten person sunken hot tub adjacent to the pool area would be awesome, and something they could feature on the website for sure.

Finally - the website and all the resources on the place talk about the astonomy connection - but I saw no astronomy connection at all during my stay. The Observatory is three miles away and Prude Ranch does host a week-long astonomy seminar in May. But what happens in July? My advice would be two-fold... 1. Prude Ranch should have small telescopes to rent for a fee. 2. Prude Ranch should offer a weekly astonomy lecture by someone from the Observatory who could come down and host it.

So, my review is neutral. A lot of positives, but Prude Ranch needs to do some serious updating to get my business repeated. Thanks.

• Stayed July 2005
#1 of 13 in Alpine
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 13 in Alpine

Been to Prude Ranch? Share your experiences!