“loved the horse riding”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Prude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Davis
Prude Ranch
Jayton,Texas
“loved the horse riding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2007

after i got back i had to tell my mom everything about the ranch, she is planning to take me and my sister and my grandma back. We are going to see my uncle

• Liked — horse riding and hiking
  • Disliked — how cold the pool was
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank nick_finch67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
lake charles, la
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2006

The Prude Ranch is a one-of-a-kind experience for anyone. There is really something for all ages--from the very young to the "over 80 crowd." Just sitting on the porch of your living area is worth the trip. This was our second time to the Prude, and it was just as good as the first time. We have taken friends and family from ages 2 to 80. They've all really enjoyed it.

Keep the Prude just as it is! Joe and Lydia Cash.

• Liked — the location
  • Tips/Secrets — Great place to get away from the fast world we live in.
  • Stayed July 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank lych
El Paso, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2005

Highlights: Our Room was wonderful for a family of five. We stayed in "The Spanish Room" and it had a king bed and two sets of bunk beds. It also had two shower stalls - very interesting feature. The room was great. Rustic, but nice.

The interaction with the summer camp kids was great. As we had young kids, the camp staff invited us to all of the evening activities. My kids got to participate in a scavenger hunt with the camp kids, as well as a game of Capture the Flag. Very accomodating.

The location is everything the website says it is. It is Ft. Davis/Davis Mountains at their finest moment. No, there are no mountain peaks in view, but high hills surround the location, and it is three miles to town and three miles to the Observatory.

The price - we paid $75 a night. I appreciate that the cost was so reasonable for such a destination place. However, I would have probably paid more had some of the other stuff found below been available...

Lowlights: Horseback riding for a family of five is $100 for an hour. It seems as if they could throw in one ride for free as they market themselves as a ranch. My kids were disappointed that they only got to ride horses one time.

The food is school cafeteria quality. I "get" the whole community-style ranch eat-together routine. No problem there. But the quality of the food was similar to a high school cafeteria. Also, they only offer chuckwagon-type dinners for groups larger than even two families (I'm not sure but I think 20 is the smallest group).

This might sound picky, but the place is in serious need of a fancy hot tub. The pool is typical for an indoor pool - freezing cold even in July. A ten person sunken hot tub adjacent to the pool area would be awesome, and something they could feature on the website for sure.

Finally - the website and all the resources on the place talk about the astonomy connection - but I saw no astronomy connection at all during my stay. The Observatory is three miles away and Prude Ranch does host a week-long astonomy seminar in May. But what happens in July? My advice would be two-fold... 1. Prude Ranch should have small telescopes to rent for a fee. 2. Prude Ranch should offer a weekly astonomy lecture by someone from the Observatory who could come down and host it.

So, my review is neutral. A lot of positives, but Prude Ranch needs to do some serious updating to get my business repeated. Thanks.

• Stayed July 2005
#3 of 7 in Fort Davis
The Hotel Limpia
The Hotel Limpia
#6 of 7 in Fort Davis

Been to Prude Ranch? Share your experiences!