“basic but fine”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Davis
Overland Trail Campground and RV Park
san antonio
“basic but fine”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I was freaked out by all the negative remarks about the owner, because I stayed here as part of a school field trip, and I thought we'd run into problems with our small group of very excited elementary students. Far from it. The owner was extremely nice to all of us and even joined us for a bbq. He has no problem with children, and in fact, they all took a liking to him.
I would much rather stay in a place with more amenities and room service and all that, but this place is clean and affordable and fine. Just don't compare it to a hotel.. compare it to sleeping in a tent. Not a super tricked out tent, either... just the basic kind. It's better than that.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank emcurt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We just stayed in a cabin for an overnight. When we first walked in, the owner was a little preoccupied and not so forthcoming with what we should do to check in. He then opened our cabin for u, walked in, and turned on some of the appliances and replaced a light bulb. That was nice, but a little wierd. He just seemed very....quirky, and I can see why some reviews here they said he could get mean. We cut him slack though as he is a Vietnam vet. The cabin was nice, comfortable tempurpedic like bed, good shower pressure, clean, homey feel. It also had a built in breakfast table which was neat. The outside was nice as it was quiet, room for parking, picnic tables and chairs, and is located super close as in walking distance to Ft Davis and some restaurants. The one big downside though was our window AC unit did not work, so I would check that when you first get in here, or only stay during non hot times. This was an inexpensive place to stay, and it was nice to support a local business and a Vietnam vet.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alicia F
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Prior to my 11JUN departure for my Trans-Texas Bicycle Odyssey (11JUN-08JUL2011), I had used google earth to tentatively plan out my route. When I saw this campsite, I knew where I was spending one night, probably my 3rd or 4th night of pedaling. However, I almost ran out of fresh, clean drinking water my 3rd night, 5 miles South of Valentine on US90, and deleted any thought of making it here. But those great guardians of our boundaries, Border Patrol Agents Lilly & Jay, resupplied me and, not wanting to deal with the devastating headwinds, renewed the Ft. Davis stop and turned East on routes 505/166/17. I coasted into town with tailwinds and a downhill, stopping only when I came to this amazing place. The owner, Dave, is a retired VietVet from Canada (think about that--a man migrating South of the border to be in the military instead of migrating North to avoid military service!) checked me in ($14cash, tent site) with very specific instructions about where to sleep. I loved it, especially the nascent Canadian accent, even if I offended him some by not following all of the detailed rules. Beside tent camping, there are cabins, RV sites, showers, laundry, wifi, and SUPERB fresh, clean water. Highly recommended, especially if you want to save money!

Room Tip: Call or key reservations ahead of time, but all sites are great!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Juanito_Hayburg
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We were going to camp in the Davis Moutains State Park, but it was much too hot for that, so we called and got a cabin here. It doesn't look so good on the outside, but on the inside it is quite quaint. There are tempurpedic beds, tv, microwaves, and mini-fridges in the rooms. The guy who runs it was very polite and talkative. He asked if we needed any brochures but we already had plans to go down to Alpine to watch the Cowboys baseball team. The cabin on a Saturday night only cost 50+. It was a good, short stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jsmith80
Elgin, Texas
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Stayed here for four nights while attending the Texas Star Party. Dave the manager is a 31 year military veteran and has great passion for his facility and the guests that stay in the RV, cabin or tent sections. A cabin with microwave, small mini-refrigerator, cable TV and hot showers was nice after dealing with the heat and the dirt and dust kicked up by the winds during the first week of June 2011. The beds are new and exceptionally comfortable; check-in and check-out was easy. You need to bring your own towels and toiletries. Close to Fort Davis National Historic Site, walk two blocks for a great mexican restaurant and lots of free parking. I met three other star party attendees that stayed here and they all felt very positive about their stay at the Overland Trail Campground in Fort Davis Texas.

Room Tip: 10% off if booked online/15% off for veterans
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank BrockDaBadger
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I stayed for 3 NIGHTS,MAR.23,24,25,2011.The owner was nice despite the other reviews.This is not a hotel that you can all the sservices of one.These are cabins.They have comfortable beds and have a microwave and minifrig supplied in each cabin.They have ac and ceilings fans.your supplied with bedding and extra blankets if needed.The only drawback is that you bring your own towels.And you dont get daily maid service.The owner was very nice and helpful.He makes sure everything is going ok with your stay.Just be a good guest and dont be complainer,and your stay will be excellent.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank jchris1965
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Never have my family and I ever felt so unwelcome. The old man running the show constantly smelled of alcohol, was beyond rude, and tried to pick a fight with my dad and brother. The pictures posted online are incredibly deceiving. The beds and pillows were plastic, the shower water was cold, and the high speed WiFi that's advertised is one little bar of service that holds signal for maybe 5 minutes if your lucky. We were supposed to stay two nights but left immediately after our first nights stay.

• Stayed February 2011

#8 of 9 in Fort Davis
Davis Mountains Inn
Davis Mountains Inn
#4 of 7 in Fort Davis

Been to Overland Trail Campground and RV Park? Share your experiences!