“Give the owner a chance--he will add "flavor" to your trip.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Davis
Overland Trail Campground and RV Park
Austin, TX
“Give the owner a chance--he will add "flavor" to your trip.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

We took a group trip during spring break 2009--3 other couples with fifth wheels. The owner was swamped with people pulling in that Saturday (1st day of spring break). It seemed to make him sort of tense. Just give him a quick, comeback to his sometimes "brash" statements and he will end up being your friend. He can get to the thin-skinned. He was a sargeant in the Army so he is used to giving orders, we think, but he is really a hard-working guy trying to make a living. He has owned this park a long time. Voice your complaints to him reasonably and he will try to work with you. The park is quiet at night even though campers were parked fairly close a couple of nights. There are some cabins also but did not use them so no opinion. He allows some tents also. THE LOCATION IS GREAT--CENTRAL FT. DAVIS--CONVENIENT TO THE MARKET AND WALKING DISTANCE TO A COUPLE OF RESTAURANTS. There is a lot to do in the area--Fort Davis Historical Park, McDonald Observatory, Ft. Davis State Park, Marfa Lights--all within 25 miles. The park appears to be safe. Pets allowed but he is a stickler about picking up after your pet, which is great. He is on the premises and around the campground alot. We had conversations about history of the area and he is very informative on flora and fauna, birds, nature, etc. in this area. We left there feeling he added a lot of "flavor" to our trip and he really is very conversational and informative. We enjoyed his company. Give him a chance!
If you do the entire McDonald Observatory tours and the nightime (9:00 p.m.) Star Party,
you will not be disappointed. The astronomers there are fabulous and informative beyond our expectations!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2008

I actually did not stay at this facility, but that's because I would never give my money to a business owner as rude as the owner of this place!

I called for some additional information about their facilities that was not on their website, and the owner could not have more disrespectful, unhelpful, condescending, or ruder than this guy was.

At least after reading the review posted on this website, I know I'm not the only person who was treated this way. The sad part about it is that this guys obviously doesn't feel compelled to change his ways.

• Stayed October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank ridetexas

Travellers are raving about these Fort Davis hotels

b.c.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2007

After driving for several hours, the wife and I just wanted to find a rv park and kick back. I found this park on the internet and thought it would be our place. As we went into the office to register the man sitting behind the desk totally ignored us, he was the most arrogant person I have ever ran into. We paid for one night stay, but we were so upset with is behavior we left for the next town.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank ozzmarg
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2007

June 2007
My husband and I, our adult son, daughter-in-law, daughter and 3 grandchildren aged 1 1/2-6, and a niece and her 2 sons, aged 8 and 10 years just returned from a FUN vacation in Fort Davis. We stayed at the Overland Trail Campground for 3 nights and 4 days. The experience was great for everyone. The kids all loved the campfires and the cabins. We had a family cabin where all of the kiddos except for the little one stayed with 2 adults. The kiddos loved the family cabin. Even the baby loved to be in the family cabin in the day time between trips around the area. We also had a double cabin with 2 bedrooms and a single for one night.
I initially found it difficult to communicate over the telephone with the staff person, Dave, but once I got to know him, I found him to be helpful and almost gracious. His demeanor kind of added to the fun of "camping out" and "roughing it". My 6 years old granddaughter drew a special picture for him when we left.
We used the campfire and the camp kitchen for cooking mostly.
We have been to Fort Davis before, but this is the first time that we have stayed at the Overland Trail Campground. It was a good experience and one that we will repeat again.

• Liked — rustic, but nice cabins and campfires
  • Disliked — having to take everything but the sheets to the site
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2006

March 21, 2005 - I called this park to get some information that I couldn't find on their website. The man who answered the telephone responded to my request as tho he didn't want to talk to me. I asked him if he could give me the information I needed, or did he not want to talk to me. He asked me why I was being so rude!!! His replies to my questions were blunt and uninformative unless I asked a direct yes or no question. He kept referring me to the website - all the info I needed would be on the website - our website has the answer to that quetion!! there is a telephone number listed on the website to call for "information". I made a decision that I would not stay at this campground because if I'm treated as a pain in the neck on the phone, I'm probably going to be treated as a pain in the neck in person. Anyone who works in a campground (as I do) should know that customer service is your first responsibility. We who come to the campground make the revenue to pay your salary.

Stayed March 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2005

We found the Overland Trail Campground on the Web and it offered us FREE accommodations for up to a week in one of their family cabins because I had just returned from Irag and Kuwait. All vets of the current conflict are offered the same deal. My family of five and two dogs stayed in a large cabin.

Upon arrival, the manager offered us a toaster and coffee pot and brochures on Fort Davis and the surrounding area. He suggested the best places to eat, where to get horseback rides, star parties at the Observatory and even glider rides. Because we were staying free at his campground, we could all afford to go horseback riding and one of my boys even got to go gliding. Our cabin was clean, and included AC, TV and cable, a microwave and refrigerator and had beds for up to eight people.

We kept our dogs in travel cases when we were out and never had any problems. There was a dog run behind the cabins that we used each day for our pets. We used the campground outdoor kitchen to cook and barbeque, even the firewood for our nightime bonfires was free. The manager treated us special and was always available when we needed him. Our stay was wonderful and we will return again.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2004

My husband and I chose the Overland Trail Campground because it is one of the few facilities in Fort Davis that allows pets. The description of the property on the WEB site boasts their cabins are clean. Just know, if your definition of clean is free of dust, cobwebs and black widow spiders then Overland Trail Campground is NOT the place for you.

The WEB site also specifies the small cabins accommodate 2-3 people… In regards to this delusion, just know a queen sized bed fits in the room with one lane walking space around the bed. In other words, most hotel rooms are about twice the size of the small cabins.

So as to not ruin the vacation spirit, some of these things might be tolerated for the short stay. What my husband and I could not tolerate was the rude, disrespectful, irrational manner in which we were treated.

Let me explain… In an effort to make more room, my husband and I erected a short “dog run” on an area just outside our door. We chose this area because we could watch the dogs closely and this portion of the property was without grass. The door to the cabin remained open so we could keep a close eye on the dogs.

When the proprietor of the facility became aware of the temporary containment area he came unglued. Now, it might be understandable he was unhappy with our arrangement, but, rather than inform his guests this is not something he allowed, he decided to go ballistic. He began flailing his arms and shouting at my husband. He became completely irrational and disrespectful to us, his guests. My husband, being the gentleman and professional that he is, spoke softly only a couple words. He said “I will take care of it” “yes sir, I will take care of it”. Despite my husbands attempt to calm this man he continued to repeat his demand over and over. The proprietor’s behavior was beyond ridiculous.

Know that prior to this incident, the proprietor’s ability to communicate appropriately were in question. He consistently displayed a combative and confronting demeanor. On a number of occasions he said “make yourselves at home”, but, then appeared consistently unhappy with our activity.

For example: He informed us firewood was available for guests. He stated this as if it were one of the attractions to his campground. When we decided to take him up on this offer he responded saying “you sure burned a lot of wood”.

All we could do was pack up everything and set a course for home. As you might imagine, we were NOT reimbursed for the five remaining nights we had reserved.

I hope this letter will assist you in your travels to west Texas. Take care and God Bless.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#5 of 13 in Alpine
The Maverick Inn
The Maverick Inn
#3 of 13 in Alpine

Been to Overland Trail Campground and RV Park? Share your experiences!