See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 June 2009

As the review from Austin said, the owner/operator can be engaging! In the beginning I didn't have the warm "fuzzies", but after an evening under the stars, and just taking time to talk to him, he was quiet the charmer :) He told us about the best resturaunts to eat, and how you "can" go across the street to the liquor store, and get a bottle of wine, and take it to the Mexican Food patio and eat. He told us about the history and people whom live in the area. I would stay here again. The rooms are a little small, but not anymore crowded that onboard a ship :)

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2009

We took a group trip during spring break 2009--3 other couples with fifth wheels. The owner was swamped with people pulling in that Saturday (1st day of spring break). It seemed to make him sort of tense. Just give him a quick, comeback to his sometimes "brash" statements and he will end up being your friend. He can get to the thin-skinned. He was a sargeant in the Army so he is used to giving orders, we think, but he is really a hard-working guy trying to make a living. He has owned this park a long time. Voice your complaints to him reasonably and he will try to work with you. The park is quiet at night even though campers were parked fairly close a couple of nights. There are some cabins also but did not use them so no opinion. He allows some tents also. THE LOCATION IS GREAT--CENTRAL FT. DAVIS--CONVENIENT TO THE MARKET AND WALKING DISTANCE TO A COUPLE OF RESTAURANTS. There is a lot to do in the area--Fort Davis Historical Park, McDonald Observatory, Ft. Davis State Park, Marfa Lights--all within 25 miles. The park appears to be safe. Pets allowed but he is a stickler about picking up after your pet, which is great. He is on the premises and around the campground alot. We had conversations about history of the area and he is very informative on flora and fauna, birds, nature, etc. in this area. We left there feeling he added a lot of "flavor" to our trip and he really is very conversational and informative. We enjoyed his company. Give him a chance!
If you do the entire McDonald Observatory tours and the nightime (9:00 p.m.) Star Party,
you will not be disappointed. The astronomers there are fabulous and informative beyond our expectations!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2008

I actually did not stay at this facility, but that's because I would never give my money to a business owner as rude as the owner of this place!

I called for some additional information about their facilities that was not on their website, and the owner could not have more disrespectful, unhelpful, condescending, or ruder than this guy was.

At least after reading the review posted on this website, I know I'm not the only person who was treated this way. The sad part about it is that this guys obviously doesn't feel compelled to change his ways.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank ridetexas
Reviewed 14 October 2007

After driving for several hours, the wife and I just wanted to find a rv park and kick back. I found this park on the internet and thought it would be our place. As we went into the office to register the man sitting behind the desk totally ignored us, he was the most arrogant person I have ever ran into. We paid for one night stay, but we were so upset with is behavior we left for the next town.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank ozzmarg
Reviewed 30 June 2007

June 2007
My husband and I, our adult son, daughter-in-law, daughter and 3 grandchildren aged 1 1/2-6, and a niece and her 2 sons, aged 8 and 10 years just returned from a FUN vacation in Fort Davis. We stayed at the Overland Trail Campground for 3 nights and 4 days. The experience was great for everyone. The kids all loved the campfires and the cabins. We had a family cabin where all of the kiddos except for the little one stayed with 2 adults. The kiddos loved the family cabin. Even the baby loved to be in the family cabin in the day time between trips around the area. We also had a double cabin with 2 bedrooms and a single for one night.
I initially found it difficult to communicate over the telephone with the staff person, Dave, but once I got to know him, I found him to be helpful and almost gracious. His demeanor kind of added to the fun of "camping out" and "roughing it". My 6 years old granddaughter drew a special picture for him when we left.
We used the campfire and the camp kitchen for cooking mostly.
We have been to Fort Davis before, but this is the first time that we have stayed at the Overland Trail Campground. It was a good experience and one that we will repeat again.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family