“So beautiful and pristine”

Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Dover
More attraction details
Owner description: This marks the site where Confederate general Simon B. Buckner surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant, Union general.
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Visited Fort Donelson in October just after the government opened up again. What a thrill to see this beautiful park that overlooked the awesome Cumberland River. One could only imagine what it must have been like nearly 152 years ago in February of 1862 when General Grant took the Fort with "Unconditional Surrender terms" to General Simon Buckner-Grant's friend prior to the war. The park is kept clean and the Rangers were so helpful and kind. A small corner of the Visitor Center had a few gifts, but it was not overdone. Bring your camera and enjoy. Would go again in a heartbeat !!!

There are newer reviews for Fort Donelson National Battlefield

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Decided this would be a great motorcycle ride! Had no idea what a beautiful area this is, and very informative and interesting!!! We also found out that there are bald eagles in the park! We saw only one, from quiet a distance away, but I think they are pretty common to the area, there was a lady there with a huge camera, waiting for us to leave so she could catch some eagle pics!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Very interesting and beautiful view of the river. Great place for a picnic or a hike. Highly recommend if you are in the area. No fee to visit. Close to Land Between the Lakes and Paris State Park. Beautiful area.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is my second visit to Fort Donelson. My first was way back in 1998. Yeah...they had cars back then! To be honest, not much have changed since 1998. There are more cannons facing the Cumberland now. There were only ONE back in 1998. Otherwise, it was pretty much the same. I did some little hiking but the entire area was sock in with heavy fogs. I guess the local folks uses the park for jogging or walking. The Visitor Center was small but nice. The movie was well done and the small museum proves to be interesting. The park rangers proves to be friendly and informative. I was there early and it was foggy in September. No bugs!

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We drove into Ft Donelson and had our lunch at the picnic tables. Our first thought was that is was very pretty and scenic. Afterward we went inside the visitor center and watched a short movie which explained so much about the battle there. Neither my husband or I realized the strategic importance of Donelson before we visited here. Losing Donelson meant the South lost control of Nashville, which was a huge blow.

We drove around the battlefield and it's very scenic and pretty. You can also get out and walk the area.

Fort Donelson is free to visitors.

1  Thank saustin

Been to Fort Donelson National Battlefield? Share your experiences!