“Great Museum/Wonderful Collection”

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Great Museum/Wonderful Collection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Incredible collection of art ranging from ancient to modern. I liked the audio tour since it highlighted some of the better known pieces and I only had 2 hours for the museum. It is Free to the public.

Baltimore, Maryland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Great kids activities, lovely collections, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

It had been years since I went to the Walters when I visited last week with my two kids (6 and 9). We were looking to while away the day during spring break, and the Walters was a great choice. It's in the heart of Baltimore's historic Mt. Vernon neighborhood, a stone's throw from the Peabody Conservatory and the famous Washington Monument (the first in the US, built before the one in DC).

We went straight to the basement where the kids' activities are organized. They have a permanent craft room, and my pair became completely immersed in the project of the day, which was to create a picnic collage with various materials on the craft tables. My daughter kept saying "this project is AWESOME!" They didn't want to leave. Nearly two hours later, we went to the cafe to get some food, but the line was too long, so we ended up leaving the museum to find something (more on this later). We ended up eating on the steps of the little park on Charles St, and it was beautiful.

After we ate, we had a quick look at the ancient middle eastern and Egyptian art. The animals in the art kept them engaged, and the mummies. The animal mummies were particularly interesting, and included cats and falcons. Eventually they got a little creeped out and tired, so we had to go.

All in all it was a great trip. The only thing I would change are the food options in the cafe. Most families probably bring their own lunches, but I didn't see much in the way of kid-friendly food in their cafe. Unfortunately the options across the street are not terrific either, which is not the fault of the Walters. But I'd like to see better choices for families inside the Walters as well. That's a small gripe though!

New Jersey, US
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great museum--and it's free!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Went with my husband and 2 children (ages 10 and 8) during a day trip in Baltimore and loved it! It's free, and although it's not too big or daunting, there's enough variety in the artwork to keep it interesting. I've been to the Louvre and the Met, and I must say the Walters Museum was like a David compared with those two museum Goliaths. :)

Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful and intriguing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stressfree and relaxing , was my experience while looking at the paintings.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“walter's is worth investigating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Feels like stepping outside of America, lots to view and admire, especially since it so tied to english heritage. Just a hop from Baltimore Arts musuem, is not to hard to find, but parking on street is limited, so prepare to walk. It's free, and is worth it! My college student hates looking at impressionistic art, but she liked the Walker based on it's style and not just a bunch of painings on bare walls.

Visited March 2012