“Visit to the Zoo”
Review of The Maryland Zoo

The Maryland Zoo
Ranked #24 of 234 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors meet more than 1,500 animals including chimpanzees, elephants, leopards and warthogs as they journey on an African safari, groom goats in the Farmyard, explore the winding trails through the Lyn P. Myerhoff Maryland Wilderness and watch the polar bears swim next to you at the underwater viewing window. Plus, don't miss the new, award winning Penguin Coast exhibit featuring the most successful breeding colony of endangered African penguins in North America.
Groton, Connecticut
115 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Visit to the Zoo”
Reviewed 4 June 2008

The zoo was ok. We got there as the gates opened so no lines to deal with. The baby elephant definitely was the best. the animals that were out were definitely very active. But many animals were not out. Couldn't see the lions (over the top of the hill). Zoo is not great at handling crowds - too many pinch points along the boardwalks. The Maryland Wilderness area was disappointing. Most animals were not out. Enjoyed the Chimp exhibit and most of the African exhibit. Glad I had a discounted ticket of $11.

1 Thank tchoiniere

• Korean first
baltimore, md
“Easter Eggstravaganza!?”
Reviewed 3 April 2008

Upon entering the zoo we were greated with smiling faces, despite the chilly weather. The tram car was running often, which made it very nice because we had and anxious bunch with an 8, 6, and 2 year old who wanted to get to the "Egg Hunt". (We missed breakfast with the Bunny because Mom goofed, other families enjoyed it.) The folliage is not the best in March, so I couldn't really judge landscaping. When we got to the "Hunt" we were a bit confused at first as to what we were supposed to do because there was just a roped-off area with plastic eggs all over the ground. However, we asked the closest staff member, which there were plenty of, and it was explained to us clearly. The object was to find 5 different colored eggs, turn them in at a booth, and redeem a prize (candy). As a Mom, I thought it was a good idea to not have the candy in the eggs for insects or dirt invasion, as in years past. The down side was that the 6 and 8 year old were done in 3 seconds because there was no "seeking" involved, and the 2 year old doesn't know his colors yet. The little one had fun just picking up the eggs, but the other 2 were not challenged in any way. I think having seperate areas might have been the way to go. Another downer was that the 8 year old found a "Golden Egg" and thought he had earned a gift certificate to a toy shop. The card was a $10 off coupon for an outrageously expensive shi-shi foo-foo children's decorator shop in downtown Baltimore, but only if you spent $50 or more. Not cool to the child, very not cool to the adults. It was a free event, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. We were lucky to have all rides functioning and the people operating them were more than pleasant. The animals were very active as well. We do love the animals. Despite some sparseness in outdoor cages (probably weather related) we did see a lot of animals. We will be back in warmer weather in hopes of seeing some more life.

Manchester, MD
“A Wonderful and Educational Place to Visit”
Reviewed 2 April 2008

I've been born and raised in Baltimore and have always enjoyed the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore.

The new Artic exhibit is beautiful and you can watch the polar bears swin under water. There is even a Tundra Buggy, just like in the Artic, to observe the Polar bears.

I enjoy the keeper chats. They are very educational and you get to hear about the different personalities of the individual animals.

There are education stations where you even see a Giraffe skull.

I would diffiently go back again.

MD
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Zoo is struggling and managed poorly”
Reviewed 17 March 2008

Being a native to the Baltimore area, I've seen the zoo over the years, and I hate to admit it but it's hurting these days. They've had so many financial troubles, they've had to get rid of many of the animals. According to their website, they're down to just 24 different mammal species now. They supposedly still have a few snakes and reptiles in the children's area, but the last time we went, that area was closed off.

No reptile house (closed). No hippos (closed). Elephants were not out last time we went but I understand they are there still . . . somewhere. Gone is the entire midway where the snow leopards, red pandas, kodiak bears, monkeys, prairie dogs, exotic birds, tigers and more used to be on display. Not any more. All gone.

And some of the exhibits that are there are poorly done. They have lions, but I dare you to find them. At best, you'll see the top of their head. Why don't they elevate visitors onto a platform so we can see the lions sitting over the hill beyond our line of sight. And while the children's zoo section is at first cool, you soon realize there are hardly any animals in there to see. You cross over a "bog" where there are "bog turtles" which are . . . underground because that's where they live - boy that's exciting. Then go to the ground hog exhibit which never seems to have any ground hogs in it - I can get some for them if they'd like, I trapped 3 in my yard last summer alone.

You get the point. A zoo on decline. The last 2 times we went with the kids, we regretted it. It costs a small fortune and they have fewer and fewer animals each time. I know they can't fix the problems without money, but neither can they attract visitors without animals. Catch-22 I'm afraid. We've switched to the DC zoo - far more animals, only it's more crowded and a further drive for us, but if I'm going to spend a day at this, I'd rather do it there.

3 Thank marylander6
Havre de Grace, MD
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time or money”
Reviewed 16 September 2007

I had a friend visiting from out of town that loves zoos. Based on the AAA Gem rating we decided to go to the Baltimore Maryland Zoo. What a mistake! Much of the "zoo" is open space with very small enclosures for most of the animals. The day that we went the staff seemed to be about 15% of the total number of people at the zoo, and still they seemed to avoid all contact with the visitors. It seemed that most of the exhibits were closed for remodeling. Also, we thought the number of animals available was extremely limited. Almost half of the zoo is taken up by the children's section of the zoo, which is just way too much in my opinion - and I have kids!

I would recommend skipping this zoo all together and saving your money ($15/adult & $10/kids 2-11).

2 Thank Lanimom