“Pack your own lunch, and hope your toddler can hold his bladder for awhile”
Review of The Maryland Zoo

The Maryland Zoo
Ranked #22 of 229 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors meet more than 1,500 animals including chimpanzees, elephants, leopards and warthogs as they journey on an African safari, groom goats in the Farmyard, explore the winding trails through the Lyn P. Myerhoff Maryland Wilderness and watch the polar bears swim next to you at the underwater viewing window. Plus, don't miss the new, award winning Penguin Coast exhibit featuring the most successful breeding colony of endangered African penguins in North America.
York, PA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Pack your own lunch, and hope your toddler can hold his bladder for awhile”
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Overall, my 5 yr old had a great time at the zoo. We went on a Wednesday, which there is cheaper admission during the week, and I had a coupon so admission was reasonable. Parking was free. Once in the park, you have to take a tram to the actual exhibits, which is about a 10 minute wait. The Africa exhibits were really good. The giraffes were terrific. Unfortunately the penguin exhibit was closed for cleaning, which really disappointed my son, who just loves penguins. The children's side of the zoo was ok. Nothing spectacular. He had fun petting the goats. My biggest complaint is that once you are in the children's section, you HAVE to go through the WHOLE side to get back out to get to a bathroom. This didn't work out so well in our favor. I understand they are under construction, but an emergency porta-potty would have been great somewhere along the way. As for eating there, we packed our own lunch because they do not have much in the line of food... unless you want to pay $4 for a dixie-cup sized snowcone.

• Korean first
Raleigh, NC
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Good Place”
Reviewed 1 April 2009

I went to the zoo the last weekend of March, 2009 and I found it a nice place. It was easy to get to, had free parking and cost me nothing because I'm a member of the NC Zoo Society.

As far as zoos go, this one was perfect size. Took up about 4 hours or so. My only complaint was that there was a lack of food inside the zoo, and what was available was ridiculously expensive. Bring in your own food, especially if you have kids with you.

The zoo is not spotless, but clean. The animals are in good condition, There is even a small baryard area where you can pet some goats and cows through a fence.

The admission price was steep, and if I had to pay it, I wouldn't. My advice is to purchase a membership at your local zoo (if available) , that way you can get the discounted or free admission to your home zoo, and free admission to the Baltimore Zoo, as well as other museums throughout the country. If your local zoo is the Baltimore Zoo, a yearly membership would be worth it, especially if you are only 1/2 hour away.

Baltimore, Maryland
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Wonderful zoo that deserves your support!”
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Full of large, attractive animals, such as giraffes, elephants, cheetahs, and polar bears. Two walk-in aviaries full of birds. It's size is perfect for a 3-hour visit. This zoo is constantly working to improve its facilities, so there is much construction, but the animals are typically very viewable. Staff is always present to answer questions and educate! The zoo is divided into 3 geographic areas, which leads to a more educational experience than clumping animals according to type, like many traditional zoos. The zoo may be a little difficult to navigate, so don't hesitate to ask staff if you feel a little lost, and make sure you get a map on the way in. The animals are healthy and engaging, and most active in the morning and on cool days. Membership is worth it!

1 Thank gingingray
Baltimore, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Really wanted to feed the giraffes”
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We went to the Zoo on August 30, 2008 hoping to feed the giraffes. Original plans were too go the day before but it rained the whole day. We arrived just shy of 2pm and there were no giraffes to be found, they were supposed to be out until 3pm. There was no one in the area to ask where the giraffes were. Luckily the camel rides were fairly close and we were able to appease our two year old who was looking forward to feeding the giraffe. the camel ride was great, Baby Mocha following her mom was just too precious for words. We saw the elephants and got to see the baby Chimp playing with her mom, that too was adorable. We just came back from a trip to the Cincinatti Zoo which is much larger and stacked with more animals.

The Children's Area seemed nice but we only had time for a Carousel ride then it was time for the zoo too close. We'll definetly go back and hope that some improvements are made. I suspect we'll be purchasing a membership.

I read all about this tram which did not seem to be running, I would have loved that, there are a ton of hills in this zoo.

Groton, Connecticut
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Visit to the Zoo”
Reviewed 4 June 2008

The zoo was ok. We got there as the gates opened so no lines to deal with. The baby elephant definitely was the best. the animals that were out were definitely very active. But many animals were not out. Couldn't see the lions (over the top of the hill). Zoo is not great at handling crowds - too many pinch points along the boardwalks. The Maryland Wilderness area was disappointing. Most animals were not out. Enjoyed the Chimp exhibit and most of the African exhibit. Glad I had a discounted ticket of $11.

1 Thank tchoiniere