“Change of Ownership changed the atmosphere of the hotel”

Inn at Henderson's Wharf
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
White Plains, New York
“Change of Ownership changed the atmosphere of the hotel”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This was my second stay in this hotel - the location is lovely, offers free parking and a nice breakfast buffet. But in the time between my two stays (December and August), the new ownership instituted several changes, which, to this patron, were not for the better.

My reservations were made about a month in advance, and I specified two beds for two guests (my daughter and me). The only room that was available upon my arrival was a king bed, and there was only one bathrobe.

There is a "destination charge" of $9.99 levied on top of the other charges. This was not disclosed prior to my arrival. Supposedly, this charge covers the extra amenities being offered - a shuttle service and regular hotel "events" (each weekday offers a different activity), neither of which were necessary or desired by my daughter and myself.

There is a coffee and tea setup for guests throughout the day. Unfortunately, at 8 pm, there was no hot water available. The hotel staff are very welcoming and helpful, so any requests were quickly satisfied, but after asking for a packet of hot chocolate, it was disappointing to have to return to ask for the hot water to be replenished.

The buffet breakfast that is provided is ample - there are cut up fruits, juices, baked goods, yogurt, and hard boiled eggs. The buffet table is kept well stocked and everything is replenished.

The room seemed noisier than the previous stay - not because of other guests, more like the hum of machines turning on and off during the night.

Unchanged was the feeling the rooms were not adequately lit.

Room Tip: Harbor view rooms are worth the extra cost. The street view rooms requires the shutters to be close...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ne1410stoday
HarborMagicHotels, Manager at Inn at Henderson's Wharf, responded to this review, 26 August 2011
Dear ne1410stoday,

We appreciate that your loyalty to Henderson's Wharf brought you for a second stay. Guests such as yourself are what makes our jobs all the more enjoyable!

I am sorry to learn that you feel that new ownership has brought a change to the atmosphere of the hotel. We are 100% committed to maintaining the offerings and service from the past as well as bringing new and exciting offerings as well! This is something that I review with the staff daily.

I appreciate that you have taken time from your day to let us know about your stay with us.

Brett Henry
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Lake Forest, Illinois
Reviewed 25 August 2011

What a nice surprise! We were looking for an inexpensive place to stay for a night while we delivered our daughter to college. The price was remarkable for the amenities offered. A very nice continental breakfast was included. We awoke to the usual newspaper, but a handy tote bag was on our doorknob, which made packing up that much easier. The location on the waterfront made for a delightful evening's walk. And there was no charge for parking our car. All in all, this was high value stay at a very cute Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We were here for just a weekend. Hotel was very accommodating and pleasant. Had a great view of the water. Appreciated the complimentary bottle of wine (a nice touch). My husband and I will stay here again when we return to Baltimore. Also, had a great breakfast, with a European touch. Close to bars and shops as well. Our room also had a fridge. Would recommend!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Melissa S
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Everything about Henderson's Wharf Inn is interesting and attractive. It is an intimate boutique hotel with beautiful rooms located in a very quiet residential/restaurant/shopping district right on the water. All the rooms are on the first floor and have views of the harbor,marina or courtyard. The hotel is well within walking distance to the busier sections of the inner harbor but also provides a shuttle service for your convenience. The staff know the city well and Raymond and the assistant manager each provided us with excellent dining choices (Melle's and La Scala). At a sister hotel, Pier 5, Jimmy told us about a fantastic breakfast place that was featured on Diners, Drive ins and Dives, called "Blue Moon Cafe" (a must for breakfast). Also, Bonaparte's bakery and coffee shop is on the same block as Henderson's and is terrific. We loved it all.
One thing, though, the dish network TV service lost signal a good bit as did the internet service...didn't matter to us but it may to you. The management at this place is so on top of things that it'll likely be fixed before long.

1 Thank PhilliesFan097
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I am still smiling!! This is truly a place that I know we will come back and visit again and again!! I agree, Raymond at the front desk was awesome; he loves his work, he enjoys people, and his pleasant attitude and helpfulness was wonderful!! In fact, everyone behind the desk were wonderful, and you don't find that at many places.

The atmosphere of the Inn has a welcoming quality to it, and makes you not want to leave. Our welcoming bottle of wine was a lovely touch (we chose the white wine, which was delicious, cold and ready for pouring!) At first, after reading the reviews of being on the first floor, I didn't think it would be a good view of the water/ships, but I was mistaken; it is all right there for you to enjoy!! There are joggers that run by the window (as mentioned in previous posts), but during our visit, we had rain off and on, so there weren't a lot of them.

After having dinner at a wonderful restaurant, we came back, and had a nice, quiet time sitting on a bench right by the water; no mosquitoes, no humidity, just a delightful breeze to enjoy ... After a while, we went indoors to the lobby and relaxed in the lobby's comfortable couches, then retired to our room for the night. A quiet location, away from the noise and activities of the area, and I really liked that.

Breakfast was delicious!! Yes, they have the orange juice in a ceramic pitcher to pour, there were bagels, toast, all kinds of fresh fruit, and the coffee was fresh and hot! There are trays available to take our food back to our room (almost like a breakfast in bed setting!)

We are already talking about our next visit at Henderson's; to the staff at Henderson's, I thank you for making my husband's birthday very special and memorable; you are the best!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I had a lovely time at this hotel. My room was absolutely beautiful and so very comfortable and cozy. One of the nicest hotels I've stayed in, my favorite. The staff was wonderful. Thank you for such a nice stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 12 August 2011

From the time we arrived on a Monday evening with no reservation because we found ourselves enjoying Baltimore so much to the time we left after a great breakfast on Tuesday morning, we were treated like preferred guests. The first person to greet us was Raymond. He was professional, polite, and accommodating. We had a beautiful room with a fantastic view and when I was unable to figure out the remote control, who showed up? Yup, Raymond to the rescue! Our short stay could not have been better. Give it a try.