“Business traveler? Maybe. Tourist? Think again.”
Review of Hilton Baltimore

Ranked #29 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Arlington, Virginia
“Business traveler? Maybe. Tourist? Think again.”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

A business conference recently brought me to the Hilton Baltimore for a few days. Our group had reserved about 85-90% of the hotel’s 757 rooms, and with normal tourism and other business travelers, the hotel was at full occupancy during my stay. That said, the hotel is certainly better than average as far as Baltimore hotels go, but service and facilities do not have the average tourists in mind.

First, I should start by saying that the hotel was excellently designed for the most part. The lobby and common areas are beautiful. The complimentary navy and orange color palate is warm, yet trendy. In five years, people will probably be asking, “What were they thinking?” That said, for the time being, the color scheme is very cool. The rooms are excellently outfitted, with sophisticated, masculine dark woods; draperies and flooring in subdued oranges, beiges and light greens; and bathrooms featuring high-end Kohler fixtures. The views of Camden Yards are unbelievable; we had a better view from our hotel room than friends did that actually went to the game. It’s spectacular.

The hotel caters to business travelers, and that is evident throughout the hotel. A UPS Store is located on the second floor, which features a 24-hour business center, which came in very handy for me. The hotel offers tons of flexible meeting and event spaces, which are among the most beautiful I’ve ever seen (this goes back to the trendy but short-lived color theme point I made earlier...).

So where does the hotel fall apart? Service is a large issue. With any hotel of this size, a staff makes or breaks the guest experience, and at the Hilton Baltimore, much is left to be desired from the service standpoint. Throughout the duration of my stay, there was never more than two bellhops on duty, and there was never more than one at the hotel entrance (in fact, there were usually never any to be found...). The bellhops seemed to “hang out” around the concierge desk in the air-conditioned lobby rather than at their appropriate post. The concierge desk is another story. There were four on duty when all I wanted to know was where the UPS store is. No one was at the desk, so I walked right up, hoping they could point me in the right direction. They were engaged in a conversation, and even after five minutes, didn’t even acknowledge me standing there, directly in front of them. The front desk had 3 employees working, with a line of ten guests at any given time, arranged by velvet ropes that made me think I was waiting for a teller at the bank. I feel bad for the front desk attendants in that they never got a break, but it took an hour to check in...again, going back to the understaffing issue. Our floor had four maids on, which I thought was actually excessive, but somehow our room managed to not get serviced ONCE since we checked in. I walked up to the cart once when we needed towels, where two maids were speaking in Spanish and making rude comment between themselves about me coming up to them. Wanting to make a point, I asked them if I could get some towels in Spanish. They were obviously embarrassed about what they had just said, and then told me that they don’t have any towels. I asked why not, and they said they were being cleaned, and that all they have are “dirty towels,” and they offered me one. Are you kidding me? You’re going to offer a guest at a Hilton a dirty towel? Come on, housekeeping! Get your act together. We encountered this problem on several occasions throughout our stay (not being offered used towels, thank God, but rather not getting towels or getting not enough towels) and it was obvious that they don’t have enough linens for 757 rooms at full occupancy. I ended up walking down to the pool to get a pool towel so I could take a shower and not miss my meeting. (By the way, the pool was a letdown - very long but about 3 feet wide...I felt like I was in NYC and not baltimore).

There were also some design issues in the hotel - there are not enough power outlets in the room, and one out didn’t work at all. There is one outlet on the lamp, but that isn’t enough to charge all your devices as a business traveler. The lampshades are so cheap that they’re battered and won’t bend back out (like seen in the one picture provided by another traveler...) The garbage cans, especially the one in the bathroom, are really cool looking but don’t even fit an empty water bottle...not at all practical. Also, while not a design issue, the hotel charges $13.95 for high-speed internet, even to H-Honors members that aren’t at the top-level status. The business center is $7 per 15 minutes of computer access, and 50 cents per black and white copy (I dread to imagine what color copies cost...) They also wouldn’t let me check out late (despite being an H-Honors member) because they couldn’t offer everyone in our group that option despite that we all traveled separately, had different times to leave, and not everyone was a H-Honors member like I was. I have stayed at many Hiltons, and they’ve never asked me to check out before 2PM, and, in some instances, even 7PM. It felt like a cheap motel where you might pay by the hour, not a four-star Hilton that I was paying over $200 per night to stay at.

As far as restaurants go, there are much better options in Baltimore than those offered on-site. Room service breakfast was not rememberable, and for $30, I got two slices of french toast and three slices of bacon. They add 22% gratuity (15% distributed to server and 7% administrative charge), state and local tax, and a $5.00 delivery fee to every room service order. I hate being told how much to tip, and then the greedy hotel takes a chuck of the server's tip for itself.

On a closing note, the location can’t be beat if you’re going to the Baltimore Convention Center or an Orioles game. If you’re coming for the Inner Harbor, the walk is long (especially on a hot day like we experienced) so you may want to consider other hotels. The Renaissance is a great hotel with probably the BEST location in Baltimore near the Inner Harbor. The Intercontinental Harbor Court (Sonesta Harbor Court after May 31) is a great hotel, but will be even better after Sonesta takes ownership and does its proposed renovations. The Hotel Monaco is also a nice hotel in the downtown area. If budget is no concern, the brand new Four Seasons is the best of Baltimore, which no other Baltimore hotel can compete with.

All in all, the Hilton is an average business hotel, but there are much better options (like those I just named) for tourists.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Camden Yards on the back of the hotel. The view from these rooms are bet...
3 Thank arlingtonman13
YulioB, Manager at Hilton Baltimore, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Thank you for providing feedback on your stay at the Hilton Baltimore on TripAdvisor.

Please accept our most sincere apology for the inconveniences you encountered during your recent stay with us. Our entire team work really hard to go above and beyond and we do appreciate your feedback. I am positive that our team can and will be able to show you the level of service and the many positive memorable experiences we are capable of delivering as other reviewer have indicated.

We appreciate your feedback and I have sent you a separate communication through Trip Advisor.

Thank you for your feedback once again and I look forward for the opportunity to hear back from you in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
  • Korean first
Detroit
Reviewed 28 May 2012

It was not a great weekend to stay at the Hilton over Memorial Day weekend. The speech and debate high school (?) teams were there which made for a crowded and loud environment. I will discuss the pros and cons.

pros: 1. great location, 2 blocks from inner harbor 2. clean hotel, 3. indoor pool

cons: 1. Very thin walls. We could hear 2 young girls' from the speech and debate team all night long. They never shut up! 2. outdated bathrooms with small low to the ground tub, weak shower stream, and outdated shower curtains 3. elevator service was not working night and had to walk down 9 flights of stairs. 4. For the price not worth it 5. no spa 6. cold pool

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
YulioB, Manager at Hilton Baltimore, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hilton Baltimore. We will most certainly share your valuable feedback with our team to ensure our guest’s experiences only excel moving forward. The details are so very important to making a visit to a hotel fantastic and we will most certainly use your feedback as a tool to do better in the future.

While we did experienced unforeseen and rare circumstances with the elevator malfunctioning, our team did a superb job fixing these issues and working hard to minimize our guest’s inconveniences. As you mentioned we hosted many of the attendees for groups, and baseball games and do experienced an increased volume of guests in the hotel areas during your stay.

We thank you for your positive comments about our location, pool and close proximity to the Inner Harbor. As you mentioned our location is second to none; as the Hilton Baltimore is the closest full service hotel located next to Oriole Park at Camden Yards and M&T Stadium (Home of the Ravens). The Hilton Baltimore has direct and the only enclosed hotel connection to the Baltimore Convention Center, a short distance to 1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore’s Inner Harbor and many other attractions. In addition, we have both Charm City Circulator stop at the entrance of the hotel as well as the MARC Light Rail stop that brings and takes you to Thurgood Marshall/BWI Airport.

Thank you again for your feedback and hope that you give us the opportunity to visit us again so you may experience a positive memorable experienced and outstanding service that we consistently provide our guests as indicated on the many previous TripAdvisor reviews.

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Baltimore over Memorial Day Weekend 2012. Overall I would say that the experience was positive. The lobby is very nice with two good bar options and a decent restaurant across the street in the Hilton ballroom wing.

Location: The Hilton is directly next to Camden Yards. If you have a view of the ballpark, it is really an added cool benefit. I was here during three home games for Baltimore and it was neat to see the game, the crowd, the people around the ballpark etc. etc. It is an easy stroll to the convention center or to other convention center hotels. It is also surrounded by a ton of local eateries. The chain dining lovers will have to hike a bit further up the road to the inner harbor where you can eat at all the safe names (PF Chang, Cheesecake Fac, etc). The walk to the harbor is easy but it is not next door. Be prepared for a 15 minute or so stroll.

Rooms: Clean and comfy. I am on the 17th floor. Great view. My housekeeper is OUTSTANDING. Well trained and/or a person that cares about her job. I felt compelled to seek her out and thank her each morning for doing such a great job. The decor is the usual Hilton stuff...but overall in the nicer catergory.

For HHonors people: I did get upgraded to a room with a view and I had access to the lounge on the 18th floor. We all know lounges are fewer and fewer these days, but this one reminds me of the good-ole days. Breakfast from 6am to 11am - very light fare, but replenished regularly. A baseball weekend though packed in the kiddies and the breakfast was jammed with the screamers that wanted breakfast items that didnt exist. The evening hors d's were fine but also on the light side. Certainly enough to tide you over until a later meal, but not a meal in itself. No freebie drinks though. There is a high school convention in town and the lounge had many visitors that clearly didnt pay the exec level rate but lucked out on the lounge perk. Nice kids, just a plentiful amount of them.

The "bad": Clearly the hotel was not prepared for the onslaught of high school kids packing the hotel. I asked at check in and was assured they had done this before - if so, they hadnt learned some basic lessons. The elevators crashed and people got stuck. Lines were long. The hallways looked more like a club on a saturday night with people talking, dancing, yelling and being "intimate." :)

I also noticed two behaviors on the part of the staff which I believe were common enough as to not be isolated to my experience. At least four times I was on the elevator from the lobby to the second floor with a staffer. Really!?! Already elevator chaos and you can't walk the extra twenty feet to take the escalator to the second floor? The staff in the restaurant across the steet (can't think of the name) was painfully slow. My server came to the table and was so abrasive that I felt almost compelled to depart in shame...the issue: I wanted a glass for my bottled beer. In fairness though, the rest of the staff at the hotel could not have been nicer to me in every situation.

Summary: My vote, I'd stay here again. I read some of the compaints before I checked in, but I stay in a TON of hotels and I saw some of the issues, but they dont bother me as much as they did others.

Room Tip: As to have a stadium view if your so inclined.
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hilton Baltimore on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate all your complimentary remarks regarding your visit. We have a great hotel and our team works hard and diligently to exceed our guests expectations. Unfortunately during your stay we did experienced unforeseen circumstances with the elevator malfunctioning; but please know that our team did everything possible to ensure the safety of our guests and were able to resolve these issues in a timely manner.

We appreciate your comments in regards to our comfortable, clean rooms and we are excited to have you as a Hhonors member.
Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to Baltimore.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Was there on a business trip and was prepared to be unimpressed but the upgrade to suite 767 (a hospitality suite with a large deck) overlooking the field was unbelievable....it was like staying in a suite in the stadium (center field). We sat on the deck with a glass of wine and could hear and see each pitch and could hear the announcers etc.
I had the adjoining 764 King room with it but there is another adjoining room if needed on the other side.
The front desk service was bizarre -- borderline rude -- and they did not even tell me i had an amazing room so I entered and was blown away.

Room Tip: 767 suite was perfect and adjoining 764 king. I would expect that all of the rooms ending in 67 are...
YulioB, Manager at Hilton Baltimore, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your experience in TripAdvisor. We apologize for the issues with the desk and we are glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy one of wonderful suites with awesome views of Camden Yards. We have a wonderful staff at Hilton Baltimore that strives to create positive guest experiences and we will do our very best to keep improving every day.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future for another chance to watch a baseball game from our beautiful guestrooms overlooking the stadium.
Millsboro, Delaware
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We stayed here over Mother's Day weekend for Saturday night which allowed us to take in the Saturday night and Sunday afternoon baseball games. Parking was a breeze with the parking garage beneath the hotel. For $28, this is the closest parking that you can possibly get to Camden Yards for more than 24 hours of parking in the city. The hotel is conveniently located to the Convention Center, Inner Harbour and other sites in downtown Baltimore. The pool and fitness center have awesome views looking into Camden Yards. The lobby and the rooms were very spacious and clean. Very Modern.

Great stay!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hilton Baltimore on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate that you, along with many others, have recognized our clean hotel, convenient location, and we are also glad that you enjoyed our pool and fitness center.

Thank you again for choosing our hotel to stay for mother’s day and for your positive review.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Baltimore.

Littleton, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 May 2012

If you are using this Hotel to be near Camden Yards your in the right place; that's about the only good thing about this property. Check in staff is poor at best, it's way over priced, the restaurant lacks in every way and the only reason we could see why anyone would use the bar is nothing else is in the area. If you plan on using the exercise room after 10 PM forget it, it's closed. Valet Parking $$$$ The rooms do not have refrigerators or micro's & good luck getting a coffee in the morning. Nicely put, the amenities offered by this hotel would equate to a low end hotel any where else. Your paying to be near Camden Yards, don't expect the cost to equate to amenities. If your an HHonors member, check your bill and make sure they have your member number right. Even after you ask them to verify it at check in.

Room Tip: If you plan to visit the Inner Harbor keep in mind it's a good walk, not right around the corner
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
YulioB, Manager at Hilton Baltimore, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you for sharing your Hilton Baltimore experience on TripAdvisor.

We have shared your comments with our team and we apologize that your experience was not comparable to the many other guests that enjoyed our hotel amenities and fantastic location; very convenient to Orioles Park at Camden Yards, and M&T Bank (Home of the Baltimore Ravens) and our rooms also enjoy a wonderful view of Camden yards and some others a fantastic skyline view of the Charm City.

While we do not have microwaves in the rooms, we do have refrigerators available for our guests and our parking and hotel prices are very competitive with other hotels in the area. I am pleased though to inform you that we do now have a nice coffee option in our lobby area in the morning and our restaurant Diamond Tavern has coffee available as well in the morning and throughout the day.

We appreciate your feedback

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 May 2012

If you happen to be in Baltimore for a convention, this hotel is connected directly to the convention center in Baltimore. It is also within minutes walk from the stadiums (Orioles, Ravens) so convenience is the main thing

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hilton Baltimore on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate that you, along with many others, have recognized our nice hotel and convenient location.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Baltimore.