“Very glad we visited”

National Cryptologic Museum
Ranked #29 of 243 things to do in Baltimore
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum featuring the science of cryptolgy.
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I had heard about this museum from a friend and our family had an enjoyable visit. The museum is small, but has a remarkable amount of exhibits/information. I also had a lot of fun in the library where some very interesting books are housed. Small children might not enjoy this place, but our two teens like it as much as we did.

1  Thank 1Traveling2000

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Make sure you get in on a tour; they are worth it. In addition to the overall information, you will be talking to someone who worked for NSA and did these types of things. There is sooooo much packed into the multiple rooms that you can be overwhelmed. Plan to take your time and read, or if possible go back multiple times so you can absorb things. Great displays, and the best was the opportunity to actually touch an Enigma machine! The Bombe was neat to see, too. Go, take your time, and enjoy; I know we did and we'll be back.

1  Thank GoingWherever
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We visited this museum early this year and enjoyed it greatly. We were in the area again and decided to revisit. Be sure to ask for a (free!) guided tour. We had a different docent this time; each brought his unique interests and expertise to the tour. The building is rather small and you might walk through pretty quickly on your own, but you would probably miss many of the gems tucked away here. If you are at all interested in history, you should make a stop here. It is understated but the lack of glitz does not take anything away from the amazing stories.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a small museum. My husband was keen to go so we stopped one afternoon. Easy access, all on one level, so good for anyone with physical challenges. Well laid out, with exhibits on different branches of the service and their role in cryptology and security. I like the part on women and minorities in cryptology. Big exhibit on the Enigma Machine, too!

I feel I should say, I find all this interesting, but am not a geek about it. I imagine if someone were REALLY into it, they would love it. Well worth an hour or two!

1  Thank 1AnnieEliza
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This small museum is free although a bit out of the way. However it is fascinating and well put together showing how information was sent through codes from the time of the Civil War to present. The Enigma machine from WWII is there.
It is only open during the week.

1  Thank Sharon C