Open today: Closed

from US$92.97
from US$15.00
from US$23.99
More Info
All reviews enigma machine code talkers bombe cold war fort meade spy stuff imitation game enigma code story building revolutionary war ancient times guided tour scavenger hunt on display interesting visit learning experience fascinating history
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

First time here. Was a very interesting and informative visit. Off the beaten track but if you can make it, worth the time.

Reviewed 1 week ago

In reality, i found it only mildly interesting but everyone i was with was fascinated, so i chalk it up to my interests. You can spend an hour or several hours here. Not so easy to find if you dont know your way around but worth it if this is your interest AND you are nearby. if you live here its worth a half day trip.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Was looking for a fun activity for my husband and I to do during the day on my birthday while we were kid free. Found this museum on google and it was free so thought it was worth the visit. All the staff were super friendly and suggested a guided 1.5 hour tour with the docent. He was available when we walked it so we took the tour. I definitely recommend this museum and guided tour. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and explained and related things back to stores we may have heard. Also looked like you could do an audio tour via cell phone. Noticed lots of hands on activities for kids that we did not do. You can actually touch an Enigma machine and lots of other cool things. It was a morning well spent. And they will be moving to a new facility eventually so we may have to go back to see what else is on display then.

Reviewed 24 September 2018

I'm a hacker type of person and the things on display and the clever adaptation of technology is amazing. Yes, it's a lot of old school technology but you can't expect them to give away today's secrets. That's why we have politicians and the media (!-{)

Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

Most of the things here are very historic. You heard about these things as a youth but here you get to see and touch the machines and gadgets that you heard about. I realized that there were a lot of very smart people back then before common electronics and modern computers. Even the machinery was very complicated to build and maintain. It's a really wow place for someone who's a history buff or into machinery.

1  Thank roncalilove11
Reviewed 17 September 2018

If you go see if you can have docent tour. Docent we had had an incredible knowledge of the story behind deciphering the Nazi enigma machine. It was fascinating.

Reviewed 29 August 2018

This museum had been on our bucket list for some time. The museum is relatively small, but the compact nature of the building works. When we arrived they asked if we wanted a personal tour and we said yes. I would highly recommend this because the person was extremely knowledgeable. He walked us through the history of cryptology then focused on its use throughout American history. There is extensive material covering American involvement up to and including World War II. The small area dedicated to cryptology in Vietnam was disappointing. From my involvement in Vietnam, I know they could have added more. The most emotional was the wall of remembrance, with the names of those killed. This is a museum not only for adults, but children. When we were there, a group children in perhaps first grade were going through. It's a learning experience regardless of age.

1  Thank Duane M
Reviewed 28 August 2018

I went to the National Cryptological Museum with my 23-year old son. We both enjoyed it and stayed about 2-1/2 hours. We have different museum styles. When young, my kids always hated that I'm the type of museum-goer who reads every placard and looks at display. Then I pull over a chair because my legs give out. Here, however, my son was reading all of the displays, too!

Located in the Fort Meade/BWI Airport area, it is only 30-40 minutes from Baltimore.

There are many glass-fronted cases with displays. However, there are also hands-on exhibits, like the Enigma machine, and adequate activities for younger children at their eye level. The youngsters I saw running around seemed enthusiastic about hunting for the "clues" and "decoding" the tasks set about for them.

The museum is human-scale. It is not high-tech and lacks a lot of razzle-dazzle. It honors our service people, cryptographers, highlights women in American cryptology, the Codetalkers, and of course, the World War II marvel of decrypting Enigma messages that helped us win the war. There are other rooms that have one of the early, full-sized Cray supercomputers (now obsolete), the control panel from a NASA mission, and a replica Viet Nam code hut.

There is a small gift shop. We enjoyed it.

1  Thank JustHavingFun7
Reviewed 19 August 2018

We took our pre-teen grandsons to the National Cryptologic Museum near the National Security Agency near Fort Meade, Maryland. There are many exhibits of artifacts and other items detailing the cryptologic profession. When you first enter, there is a Hobo display that challenges one to find various items and objects contained within the exhibit. In the static displays, we saw various individuals, machines and devices used in cryptology. In the lobby area, there is a copy of the Rosetta Stone. The museum is located in what was once the Colony Motel, a place my husband stayed in while assigned to this area during his tenure with the Air Force. In a couple of years, the museum will be move to what is currently the parking lot and it will be razed and used as a parking lot. Visitors are free to roam around the one-story building at their leisure. Our grandsons enjoyed solving the scavenger hunt. We were fortunate to attend a presentation on the Enigma machines. The guide explained the Enigma and Bombe displays and their role in the war efforts. One of the hands-on activity is where you spin the rotors and reset the keys to encode and decode your message. Another interesting display is the computer complex developed by Bell Laboratories. Our guide talked about the time he interviewed the woman responsible for security of this system and the time a general talked about baseball. She later realized he was talking about the dropping of the atomic bomb. Recommend a visit to this museum is worth your time and, what’s more, admission is FREE.

1  Thank ITRT
Reviewed 14 August 2018

I have never been in a museum that was so equally great for children and adults. The activities for children are well thought out and exciting and challenging for them. The info through the ages about cryptology was fascinating for adults. The coverage, from ancient times to the most modern super computers was comprehensive and extremely educational. The focus on issues as well as the tools made history come alive.