“Nice, but over-priced”
Review of Pier 5 Hotel

Pier 5 Hotel
Ranked #25 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We booked this hotel on short notice using an online service. Although I had a printed confirmation, the hotel itself had no record of our reservation, so the room was not ready when we arrived. They did keep us informed as they waited on hold with the booking agent, but it was not a very efficient process. When we were ultimately given a room, it did not match the specifications that we had requested, as there was only one bed provided for the three of us. They did offer us a roll away at no charge instead of waiting for a new room to be ready, which wasn't ideal, but at that point, we didn't care. They also comp'd us a free breakfast buffet, as our package contained two passes and there were three of us.

The rooms were clean and decent, although we did have some issues with the keys. It seemed that one key only worked for hallway doors and the other worked for the room, but again, that wasn't explained to us. The amenities were nice, but not lavish. The breakfast buffet was very good, and the service was stellar; however, as we were leaving, the booth to let us out of the parking log was unmanned, the arm to let us out wouldn't go up even though payment had been made, and the hotel staff person that came to deal with it said NOTHING. Not a single word, the whole time.

This was our second stay at this hotel, and although we would stay again in a pinch, it will probably not be out first choice. I think there are probably equally as convenient hotels for a more reasonable price.

One side note, the hotel is quite convenient to Johns Hopkins clinic and hospital. A very easy 2-3 minute drive.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had our ceremony and reception at the hotel, we also had about 25 people staying at the hotel. We felt like we were the only guests in the hotel. All of our requests (and there were many) were accommodated happily by the team. We felt like Pier 5 was our home for the weekend, we were hosted like family.

Our wedding was planned with Chris he was very professional and patient, he guided me through the process and made sure I thought of everything. On the day of, he and Donna (our AMAZING attendant for the day) took over and made the day happen. I had to show up and wait for them to tell me when to walk down the aisle. I didn't have anyone else taking care of things…Chris and Donna made the day.

The reception was spectacular in the Harbor Magic room, three sides of windows to watch the sun set over the harbor…it really was magical. My guests raved about the food, the service, and the energetic happy servers who even took up the dance floor when my guests were slowing down. I didn't have the opportunity to meet all of the team, but I thank them for making our day one to remember with no wedding day horror stories!

For a smooth wonderful day, let Chris take care of you, you won’t regret it!

Thank you Pier 5!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
The_Business_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Pier 5 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

MeRowT, thank you for writing a phenomenal review, and we'd also like to thank you for choosing to have your wedding at our property. We are absolutely thrilled to hear your special day was spectacular.

From reading over your review, we saw you mentioned how wonderful members of our team were. We are extremely fortunate to have such amazing individuals working with us. They really do go above and beyond to ensure everything is always perfect for our patrons. We'll make sure to let Chris and everyone else know of all your kind comments.

We want to thank you for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. We truly appreciate when patrons take the time out of their day to leave a fabulous review. We hope you realize how much it means, and know this kind gesture doesn't go unnoticed.

If we can ever do anything to accommodate you in a future visit to our location, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you. We hope to see you back soon! Maybe for an anniversary trip!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The location was good. There was a stain on the bed and a BIG one on the chair in the room. The front desk workers were very nice. The room sort of smelled a bit. Kind of musty. I think it was room 228. So stay away from that one. We went to the restaurant downstairs at 10pm to grab some drinks and a snack. We were told to sit anywhere. When we did a waitress said people this late don't sit at tables so could we sit at the bar? So we did. 2 guys from the wait/kitchen staff walked by and intentionally stated loud enough for us to hear, "I KNOW they just didn't come in here wanting something to eat!" then the other one belly laughed. We just got up and left. So they're game worked, but who would want to be around people like that when all you want to have is a good time? Anyway, plenty of other places to stay so I'd skip this place.

Room Tip: The best room would be one that is in a different hotel.
1  Thank markymert
Reviewed 6 May 2014

If you desire cold, dried out food and watered down drinks, have your party here. This place is all sizzle with no steak. Add in a staff that seemed indifferent to what we needed and an outdoor patin not even set up with chairs or tables.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank messvin
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Our hotel stay was completely ruined by a rude member of the hotel staff who knocked on the door at midnight demanding that we open the door because they had received a noise complaint. Incredulous, I asked whether he heard any noise as he approached the room. Of course he had not --my husband and I were sitting in bed talking with the tv on low in the background. He still demanded we open the door! My complaint to the front desk gave rise to a recommendation that I contact the manager. I did and he promised to look into the situation. He never even called me back!

4  Thank Judi G
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Just stayed here over the weekend so the experience is fresh in my mind. Let's see if I can add value.

1) The good:
- Location, location, location!!!
- The lobby is very hip and I loved the feel of the atrium. All rooms are entered from the main corridor.
- Attached to the hotel are two excellent restaurants.
- My room: I stayed in room 309. It had very high ceilings and was larger than most hotel rooms. I loved the decor and the view was amazing!!!. My suggestion is to ask for a harbor view room on the third floor.
- Check out is 12PM. For a vacationer that was a plus.
- If you valet park your car, they will let you load your bags into the car and then keep your car parked in valet until you are ready to leave for the day. This was an amazing perk; but something I would expect for $38 per day parking.

2) The not so good:
- We had to wait until 4PM to check into our room on a Sunday and were not allowed into our room even 1 minute earlier. The way this hotel keeps your luggage and personal belongings while you wait for your room is not very organized and is not that secure since the luggage is behind the desk but left out in the open. This is an accident waiting to happen.
- We stayed two nights and they forgot to clean our room. At least they gave us free breakfast as a way of saying sorry. However, management must address this problem since I read that others have also had a problem with housekeeping.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

Room Tip: 3rd floor facing the harbor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
The_Business_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Pier 5 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

jrman66, thank you for leaving a nice review, and we'd also like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your time in Baltimore. We are very glad to hear that overall, you had an enjoyable time at our location.

It's great to know you loved our location. We're definitely close to all the fun things to do and see around Inner Harbor! Having 2 amazing restaurants in our hotel is certainly a huge plus for our guests. You're never too far from a delicious dining experience!

From reading over your review, we saw you mentioned a few things that concerned you. We plan to bring them up at our next team meeting. In addition to this, we want to again apologize for our housekeeping department forgetting to attend to your room.

If we can ever do anything to accommodate you in a future visit to our property, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you. We can't wait to see you back!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We had a fantastic experience at Pier 5. A beautiful hotel with great customer service. My family (me, husband, daughters ages 6 and almost 2) stayed there this past weekend. We had the aquarium package one night, and another package the last two nights. The room was fantastic and accommodated a pack and play, and roll-away bed just fine. We were very comfortable. The breakfast was great. So worth the extra money to get the package! It was so easy to just come down, eat, and be on our way! There was a wide variety of items, including gluten free yogurt for my gluten intolerant husband, along with beautiful fresh fruit. The aquarium package was good- VIP tickets are great because you don't have a long wait to purchase them. The location is perfect for visiting the aquarium, or really anything in the inner harbor.

My only complaint is when I made the reservation they said that it would be easy to purchase an additional aquarium ticket, but they did not have any. They told us to wait for the manager, and we did sitting right by the desk in the lobby. But the manager never approached us and eventually I went up to him and ask, to be informed they did not have any. And they told us the wrong time that the aquarium opened. Minor things, but those details mattered to us.

We would definitely stay there again and loved the hotel!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

laura_happy, thank you for writing a nice review, and we'd also like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your time in Baltimore. We are happy to hear that overall, you had a great experience at our property.

From reading over your review, we saw your comments about what happened with the extra aquarium tickets. We want to sincerely apologize for this. We've made sure to bring this up in our next team meeting to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Thank you. We hope to see you back soon!