“Underwhelmed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Clementine Restaurant
Price range: US$13 - US$27
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Hamilton and Gibbons Avenues
Transit: The # 19
Description: Clementine likes to tell a story using food. Sometimes the story is a history lesson, sometimes it features the latest culinary trend and, usually, its a mixture of both. We change our dinner menu daily, using local and seasonal ingredients as much as possible, make our own charcuterie and, in general, offer fabulous food and drinks for not so much dinero. Our award-winning bar offers a rotating, hand-picked selection of unusual (and exceptional) boutique wines, craft beers and artisanal spirits. We even offer retail wine sales during open hours! Sunday, too!!!
Washington, DC
“Underwhelmed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

We went to Clementine last week, after reading many positive reviews of the place. It definitely has its charm and comes across as a serious eatery, with a menu that promises "dang good food" in the trendy farm-to-table tradition. Overall, our dining experience was okay, but far short of the high marks that some reviewers have given it. The problems started at the door, with a host who seemed frazzled and who disappeared for several long minutes while we waited awkwardly at the door for him to return. Our drinks, as some have noted elsewhere, were not mixed terribly well and our waitress, while very pleasant, looked like an amateur as she struggled to open and pour a bottle of wine. The food, itself, looked good on paper but fell short of being truly well prepared. An appetizer of roasted cauliflower and anchovies sounded innovative but tasted odd. A pumpkin salad had a few cubes of the main ingredient on a bed of coarsely chopped undressed kale--the kind of plain dish that makes you wonder who could possibly find that satisfying. My duck breast entre tasted alright but had clearly been reheated or had been sitting too long under the heat lamps. All in all, I feel like these are signs of a restaurant that takes itself too seriously but doesn't have the service or talent to live up to its own self-image. I don't think it's a particularly bad restaurant, but neither is it particularly good. It'll still probably do well enough for itself because it's kid-friendly and people will fall for its self-assured attitude, which goes a long way.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Met10

Baltimore
“Pretty decent brunch options”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I checked out Clementine while they were offering their brunch menu. It's a neat restaurant and relatively spacious.

There's definitely a handful of interesting items for brunch, such as the Indian scramble and the Korean hot pot. I appreciated the diversity, but couldn't resist the seared duck hash. I also got to try the french toast and the breakfast sample. The duck hash was a decent choice, while the other plates tasted as expected.

I went with a relatively large group, so it took a while to be seated. However, service from there on was quicker. Other than the several scrambles that I saw, all the dishes' portions were on the smaller end of the spectrum. Clementine was a decent play and is worth another try.

Visited November 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent Coffee and Pretty Good Brunch :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I would definitely go back to Clementine for brunch.

Pros: The coffee was excellent. The food was very good. I had the breakfast scramble, and my friend had the Korean Hot Pot. She said her's was delicious, and I thought the same of my own meal. Portions were quite large, so one meal could easily suffice you all day. :)

Cons: The service was not that great. They seemed under-staffed. It was OK for a brunch outing, but I think I would have been quite displeased if I had received similar service when going there for dinner. The waiter seemed ill-equipped to handle the amount of tables he was given. He gave my friend a half cup of water for her tea (simply odd), and also took awhile to refill my first cup of coffee after I had asked. He also totally forgot part of my order (a side of fruit). However, given that the food and coffee were so good, and we weren't rushed, I was able to overlook the bad service. :)

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Manchee M
Baltimore, MD
“Chicken Not Thoroughly Cooked”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

The best thing about this restaurant was the small area where children could play, which was nice since we have a 2-year-old. However, there was no kids' menu, which we found strange. The food was really eclectic, & it was hard to find more than one thing that I wanted on the menu. I ordered the wedge salad, which was okay, the shrimp skewers, which were overcooked, & the chicken marsala. The chicken wasn't thoroughly cooked. The waiter never came back to ask how the food was, & when they came back to clear our table, they never asked me why I didn't eat any of the chicken.

Cockeysville, Maryland
“Just ok.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

The restaurant has a great space, very trendy inside. A little too noisy. Really interesting wine list. The neighborhood is a little sketchy and parking was difficult. The menu was limited (is that usual for Wednesday?) Some things were good/some ok. Dessert and coffee were fine.

The good: Red wine list, squash soup, sausage appetizer.
The OK: Duck breast entree.
The not so good: Mackerel entree (too oily and the vegetables were much too al dente - couldn't cut them), crab soup (bland, hardly any crab).