“Good place for a family”
Review of Clementine Restaurant - CLOSED

Clementine Restaurant
Price range: US$13 - US$27
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Hamilton and Gibbons Avenues
Transit: The # 19
Description: Clementine likes to tell a story using food. Sometimes the story is a history lesson, sometimes it features the latest culinary trend and, usually, its a mixture of both. We change our dinner menu daily, using local and seasonal ingredients as much as possible, make our own charcuterie and, in general, offer fabulous food and drinks for not so much dinero. Our award-winning bar offers a rotating, hand-picked selection of unusual (and exceptional) boutique wines, craft beers and artisanal spirits. We even offer retail wine sales during open hours! Sunday, too!!!
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Went here for a small family reunion (9 adults, 2 toddlers) at 5:30 on a Wednesday evening. Two dining rooms and almost no other diners at that hour, so very peaceful. There is a kids' corner with enough toys, etc. that the little ones left us almost completely alone, most unusual but welcome. Lots of draft beers plus daily/seasonal specials on the drinks menu, and a good selection of food, too. Salad, cup of soup and the mussels app were plenty for a full meal for me; others had interesting mains which I sampled. The coconut cake wan't anything special for dessert, but I should have tried something new. All in all, I ate too much and liked it all. If I lived in Baltimore, I would definitely return.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Took the little ones to Sunday breakfast and it really was a great experience. The service was excellent - fast, helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the duck hash and fresh from the oven sticky buns. Coffee was good too. My mother had her old favorite - scrapple; she is fairly picky and she said it was excellent. The children played in the play area, allowing us to enjoy our meals even more. We will certainly return.

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We were recommended this by a friend. After looking at the menu I knew it wasn't our normal price range, so we opted for the Sunday special ($40 for 2 soup/salads, 2 entrees, 1 dessert). This was definitely a great deal on great food. If my budget for food was a little higher (coming from a young 20-something recent college grad) I would come here weekly. I had the pork chop (my go-to) and it was cooked perfectly and the potatoes/cabbage combo was spot on. I also had the pumpkin salad which at first I was not fond of, but after 2 bites I loved every bit. The butternut squash soup was ok but not my style. The Creme brûlée dessert was awesome. Overall if you've got a few bucks to drop on dinner, go. Trust the weird combos of flavors described on the menu.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We went to Clementine last week, after reading many positive reviews of the place. It definitely has its charm and comes across as a serious eatery, with a menu that promises "dang good food" in the trendy farm-to-table tradition. Overall, our dining experience was okay, but far short of the high marks that some reviewers have given it. The problems started at the door, with a host who seemed frazzled and who disappeared for several long minutes while we waited awkwardly at the door for him to return. Our drinks, as some have noted elsewhere, were not mixed terribly well and our waitress, while very pleasant, looked like an amateur as she struggled to open and pour a bottle of wine. The food, itself, looked good on paper but fell short of being truly well prepared. An appetizer of roasted cauliflower and anchovies sounded innovative but tasted odd. A pumpkin salad had a few cubes of the main ingredient on a bed of coarsely chopped undressed kale--the kind of plain dish that makes you wonder who could possibly find that satisfying. My duck breast entre tasted alright but had clearly been reheated or had been sitting too long under the heat lamps. All in all, I feel like these are signs of a restaurant that takes itself too seriously but doesn't have the service or talent to live up to its own self-image. I don't think it's a particularly bad restaurant, but neither is it particularly good. It'll still probably do well enough for itself because it's kid-friendly and people will fall for its self-assured attitude, which goes a long way.

1  Thank Met10
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I checked out Clementine while they were offering their brunch menu. It's a neat restaurant and relatively spacious.

There's definitely a handful of interesting items for brunch, such as the Indian scramble and the Korean hot pot. I appreciated the diversity, but couldn't resist the seared duck hash. I also got to try the french toast and the breakfast sample. The duck hash was a decent choice, while the other plates tasted as expected.

I went with a relatively large group, so it took a while to be seated. However, service from there on was quicker. Other than the several scrambles that I saw, all the dishes' portions were on the smaller end of the spectrum. Clementine was a decent play and is worth another try.