“Great Hotel, great service”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Great Falls, Virginia
“Great Hotel, great service”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I booked a special trip celebrating my husband's birthday. When we checked in, not only did the hotel upgrade us, but also called my husband in the room to wish him happy birthday and sent up a bottle of champagne to help us celebrate.

The hotel is also the perfect location to enjoy the inner harbor area and the evening wine reception was an added benefit. We will certainly be back.

1 Thank RRMaheen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Korean first
Columbia, MD
Reviewed 11 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Monaco Baltimore for a pre-birthday weekend getaway. We used valet the entire weekend and had absolutely no problems dropping off or retrieving our vehicle. The valet attendants were fast and friendly. Valet is a little pricey at $36/day, but well worth the convenience. Check in was a breeze and took less than 5 minutes (we used Hotwire for great deals). Keep in mind check-in is on the lobby level (go up one floor on the elevator or stairs). The building is gorgeous on the inside with marble walls and floors and beautiful chandeliers. The bell hop was informative and friendly as well. The room was a decent size and included a full bath, ample closet space, a TV, two large windows, a desk/chair and a king size bed (which by the way is THE most comfortable bed I've EVER slept in). The hotel was always quiet and it felt like we were the only people occupying the floor. The hotel is about 5 blocks from the Inner Harbor, so keep that in mind when booking. To a tourist, or someone unfamiliar with the area, the locals may seem a bit intimidating. Yes, there is a metro train stop across the street, but the hotel is in downtown. If you do venture out, stay on the main streets that are busy and you should have no issues. The B&O American Brasserie (the hotel's restaurant on the 1st floor) was pretty good for cocktail hour. It wasn't busy when we sat down around 3:30 pm on a Friday. We ordered the flatbread (their version of a pizza) which was surprisingly very tasty. Our food sat on the counter for about 5 minutes because the waiter left the room. It was slightly annoying, but nothing detrimental. We went back for breakfast the following morning. The food was very underwhelming. After 4pm, the hotel offers warm cookies and milk at the check-in desk. Some of the best chocolate chip cookies I've had. They were even cut in squares! After 6pm, the hotel offers white and red wine and sangria. We didn't take advantage, though. We also worked out in the hotel's gym on the third floor. It was completely empty when we arrived (10pm on Saturday), and there were plenty of clean machines in working order (ellipticals, treadmills, exercise bikes) along with weights, plentiful clean towels and water. The flat screen TV on the wall and on each machine was a nice added touch. The only negative I have to comment on would be the maid service. The maid came in while we were in the room, and she didn't stay longer than 5 minutes. With a four star hotel, I would expect a thorough cleaning of the bathroom, fresh linens, dusting and vacuuming, none of which occurred. She didn't arrange the complimentary toiletries properly, but instead kind of threw them on the sink. And, one of the new washcloths put in the bathroom had several pubic hairs attached to it. If I didn't look closely, I would have washed my face with it. All in all, this is a great hotel with plenty of great amenities, friendly and accommodating staff in an awesome central location. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Use Hotwire for awesome discounts!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TrvlLover80
new york
Reviewed 7 July 2011

this hotel is so gorgeous. i wish i can take a chunk of it home!! the checkin desk is slow but they get their things done so no complaints there. its just a shame this place is lacking a swimming pool !! when we stopped here it was mega hot !! prob as hot as florida!!

i love marble standing showers. the hotel will tell you that only the mediterannean suites have that. theyre wrong!! if you are looking for a king bed, ask for room 1228 with standing marble shower. if you want a tub only then ask for 1229!

valet is super pricey (they literally either leave your car on the block where theres a spot or theypark in the underground garage a block away). my advice is to search online for an overnight deal for garage parking... that way you will save loads of money!! i got a corporate rate on this hotel so it made everything so much sweeter. my corporate rate also got me and my guests free breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel! it was a great breakfast!! i went during a busy weekend for baltimiore. it wasn't deserted/dead til night time came. during the daytime, plenty of people out and about. yes, the area a block backwards is questionable with shops boarded up and whatnot but if you are ina small group, i'd recommend sharing a cab everyhwere.

also sign up for kimpton intouch program! they give you $10 to raid the mini bar, whcih at checkout you can tell them what you spent it on so they dont charge your room. i believe u also get free wifi when you become a member so thats also a plus!

definitely ask for a companion goldfish! why not???!! this hotel has so much charm!! such a shame that the location is not by the water! the hotel is definitely walking distance to the water.. if you tend to speed walk, i'm sure you can make it to the waterfront by 10mins. otherwise i'd say 20mins is a good estimate of the distance.

also don't forgo their snack hours! they have morning coffee/tea available in the living room til 10am. cookie hour is 3pm(i missed that !! darn)... and then at 5pm wine reception. free alcohol and there was 1 hors duerve being served. i think smoked salmon crostini! delish!!! ive also heard there is free wii games at night for the kids but didn't get to check that out.

baltimore is a city that you can prob stay 1-2 days and be satisfied with some nice activities. its a very low key place and more relaxed.

Room Tip: ask for room 1228 has a good city view!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank sasli
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 June 2011

The Hotel Monaco is located in the historic B&O Railroad building, a few blocks from Baltimore's Inner Harbor area. The hotel lobby is located a level of above the entrance and can be reached by elevator or from a gorgeous set of marble staircases. There is a spacious seating area near the front desk, and it is well appointed with comfortable chairs and sofas. Unfortunately, it's not near anything else.

The bar/restaurant is located on the first floor. The menu aims for trendy, but hits at best the outer ring of the target. The bar staff, however, is excellent and worth a stop, even if you aren't staying at the hotel.

The rooms are large and comfortable. I was disappointed to learn the hotel has nary a single firm pillow. You'll need to pack your own, unless you're comfortable sleeping on a pile of barely there pillows. The bed itself was comfortable.

I noticed other reviews comment on street noise, which is present but not any worse than any large urban center hotel. The volume when the air handler kicks on is a bit disconcerting.

My other disappointment was service related. When I returned to my room after being out for the day, I found that it had not been serviced. A call to Guest Services yielded the following, "Well, are you sure you there wasn't a sign out." Nope, no sign. The front desk staff looked at my clothes before I showered and dressed for dinner and recommended a place I entered and exited in one motion. They did not ask what type of food I preferred or what style restaurant would be desirable for our group. The service, with the notable exception of the bar staff, the valets and bellmen, was indifferent at best.

For a four star experience, these guys need to get it together.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank GlobalTripper007
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I love the Kimpton hotels and am an Inner Circle member so I try to stay at a Kimpton whenever I travel. I recently returned from a visit to Baltimore and stayed at the Hotel Monaco in room 1422. I had a fairly pleasant stay but noticed several bedbug bites (3-4 different locations) as I was leaving the hotel. I have reported the problem to the hotel's general manager. Hopefully they will attempt to rectify the problem.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
9 Thank TravelProf72
BaltimoreMonacoGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Dear TravelProf72~

I was disappointed to read your review. I want to assure you that we immediately took your room out of service and hired a licensed pest control company to professionally inspect the room and its neighboring rooms, and they all tested negative for bed bugs or any other infestations. While I am saddened to hear of your experience, I am relieved to confirm that nothing you encountered came from our hotel. As a loyal Inner Circle member, I am hopeful we can regain your confidence in the future, as we appreciate your patronage. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you have any further questions for me.

Michael Damion, General Manager
Mike.damion@hotelmonaco.com
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 June 2011

After a wonderful experience at The Washington Palomar, this was disappointing to say the very least. The hotel was notified of our pre 3pm Saturday arrival, yet there was no room ready for us and we were told to come back at 3:00pm. When we arrived at 3:30pm, there was still nothing available. A complaint to the manager quickly rectified the situation; a room was immediately made available and she offered to compensate us for our inconvenience. This hotel, unfortunately, is not up to Kimpton standards in my opinion. The glasses in the bathroom looked as though they had been only rinsed and left to dry. The wallpaper was patched. Otherwise, the room itself was OK but don't take a room overlooking the street if you like your sleep. All we heard all night were police and fire engine sirens. The staff were OK, but not overly welcoming or hospitable. Not a 4-star hotel experience, by any means.

Room Tip: Become an Kimpton In-touch Member for free wi-fi.
4 Thank mc437
New York
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I've stayed at worse, but overall underwhelming. Service was attentive when I raised a few issues but didn't actually follow-through. Views were also of a brick wall.

2 Thank Grandpuba007