“Nice visit”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Nice visit”
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Hotel Monaco for four nights during November for business. Conveniently located, its only five minutes from the inner harbour.

Good service, and excellent decor. The lobby is particularly stunning with its marble staircases.

My only fault would be the fact that electronic keycards kept failing. Id use it once no problem to access the elevator but when I get to my room it suddenly denied me access. This meant several unnecessary trips to the reception to update. On one night, the updated keycard did not work!

Overall, a lovely hotel that I will definitely come back to when next in town.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Doug C:

Thank you for your review.
I was happy to hear you had a nice visit. I will be sure to look into your key card issue.
We look foreward to your return so we can turn that nice visit into an amazing one.

Joe Pagone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Korean first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Excellent quality and good value. The room and service were excellent and the location is only a short distance from Conference Center and Inner Harbor. I also appreciated morning coffee and the wine reception at end of afternoon. I did not have occasion to use the pool or spa.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear clarkgable99:

Thank you for your kind words.
It was great to read you enjoyed your visit.
Our central location is perfect for a visit to the convention center or really any where in Baltimore.
We look forward to your return.

Liberty, Missouri
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This hotel is defined by the building in which it's located. This is the former headquarters bulding of the B & O Railroad, built in the 1910s. The street-level lobby is resplendant with white marble staircases, walls, and trim. The hotel lobby proper and check-in are on the second floor. The hotel occupies a restored portion of this building. About half the building seems to be still devoted to offices, using a separate elevator bank.

My King bedroom was very large and well-appointed with a large bathroom.

The location is right in the heart of downtown. It is not far from the Inner Harbor and the sights and activites there.

I ate in the hotel's adjacent bar and restaurant for lunch and had drinks there later in the evening. I liked it better as a bar and lounge than I did as a restaurant, but I didn't hold that against the hotel. The restaurant was fine, but the style was not to my taste.

As always, Kimpton service was top-notch. This is definitely a hotel to visit when in Baltimore.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear TravelerKC:

Thank you for your kind words.
We appreciate you staying with us and enjoying our restaurant and bar.
We look forward to your return.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My family and I only stayed for one night as we were meeting up with some other relatives in Maryland. No problems with check-in and getting our rooms which is great since we arrived very late and were too tired for problems. In our room we had the normal excellent amenities you expect in a Kimpton. In the bathroom the faucet on the sink moved completely. Yes you read that right, the cold water handle wouldn't turn on unless you held the base in place with one hand and turned the handle with the other. I thought I was delirious so I went to bed. In the morning I verified I wasn't crazy then made a mental note to tell the front desk however when I went downstairs for the free continental breakfast (an anomaly because the hotel's restaurant was closed due to the holiday) I was stunned to see empty bowls but lots of juice. Hungry people were milling around like zombies and I asked someone how long they were waiting and they said about 15 minutes. So, my sister in law and I got coffee and sat down to talk while we waited. 20 minutes later I got up to ask the front desk and the lady said she had been trying to call the kitchen but.... Then she would trail off probably trying to not place blame on anyone. So I refreshed my coffee and continued to sit while more families with children arrived looking confused at the now empty tables. They were kind enough to remove the empty bowls to stop teasing us. Another 5 minutes later I asked the gentleman that was cleaning up the coffee area and he didn't know either but at least he went to speak to someone then he and another man disappeared through a door then came back within 10 minutes with bowls of croissants, scones and muffins. Unfortunately since the living room was filled with hungry families those bowls were gone immediately and now sadly so was the coffee. My sister in law and I started talking about the bathrooms and how we liked the jacuzzi until she mentioned the only thing that made her uncomfortable was the fact that the two windows in the bathroom had no secondary shade just the one white shade which she could see clearly through so she assumed it went both ways. During the day you couldn't see in other windows across the way that had the same shades but at night she said she could see in other windows so she was paranoid that people could see her! I'm not entirely sure why it was designed that way but maybe it is something that should be looked at. The final thing was the valet service- I called before I even left the room then went downstairs to the lobby to checkout while I sent the rest to the first floor to load the bags into the car. When I called I gave them my ticket number and when I sent my family downstairs I gave them the physical ticket. It took a little time to check out of both rooms since you tell them what you raided at the mini bar etc. But Kaya(?) was so great to talk to it didn't matter. I hope I got her name right, I'm notorious for messing up names! I was also able to tell her about the faucet which she promptly wrote down. She appeared to be a diligent worker but her co-worker at the desk appeared to wish she was anywhere but there. The phone kept ringing while Kaya was checking me out and it seemed to pain the other one to have to answer it. At one point she told my person that some guy would get it but since it kept ringing she excused herself to me and promptly answered the phone. The other one kept twirling her hair. Anyway I got to the first floor to see my family still waiting for the car because evidently they kept bringing them the wrong car! You have the physical ticket in your hand that clearly does not match the valet ticket they put on the car so what exactly is the problem? Three cars later we got our car and left. This in no way is going to stop me from going to other Kimptons because generally I have had nothing but positive experiences at the other hotels. Maybe they were short staffed because of the holidays. But I had to be honest and say why I was disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Alisa C:

Thank you for your feedback.
I was stunned at your experience as well as this is not the service we are know for.
Please know I take this feedback very seriously and will appropriately adress these issues.
I do hope you return so you can see the type of service so many other reviewers rave about.

All te best,
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We spent only one night at The Monaco Baltimore... A 45th Birthday gift to me from my wife. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. We had a King sized bed, chaise lounger, a two-person hot tub and separate shower. They provide his & hers bathrobes and extra amenities.
The hotel offers a Happy Hour from 5-6pm in the Main lobby, serving wine and lite fare. The only downside of staying downtown, so close to the main tourist attractions is that parking is not free. Valet parking was $38.00/day.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1222, located on the N side of the building. The view was of the cityscape, so I m...
Green Features: The hotel is very conscious of environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear JAD 68:

Thank you for your awesome review.
It was great to read our team took such great care of you.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

What stands out to me most about this hotel is that it is located in a beautiful historic building and that the hotel has taken that already gorgeous backdrop and run with it. The decor is first rate and very attractive.

We had dinner and drinks in the hotel bar. It is a very cool bar and the food was great. It is quite a bustling place. Later that night we had some good room service too.

I've stayed in Baltimore many times, and this hotel was by far my favorite.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RamblingRazorback
Dear RamblingRazorback:

Thank you for the kind words!
Our team will be delighted to know you had such a great experience in both the restauarant and bar.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Beautiful hotel in a historic building. Room was perfect. We requested and got a very early check in and a late check out. Wine reception was wonderful in the lobby.....great lounge area with fire. The hotel restaurant was really good. We had breakfast, lunch and late night drinks here and it was all great. We stayed in the Mediterranean Suite and it was gorgeous. Again, the Kimpton line of hotels goes above and beyond! We have stayed in NYC, Philly and now Baltimore and have always been pleased!

Room Tip: 1019 end of corridor, Mediterranean Suite.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank edelweiss40
Dear edelweiss:

Thank you for the fabulous review.
I will be sure to share this with our team.
We hope to see you soon..