“Quirky and full of character”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Quirky and full of character”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I've been wanting to stay at the Hotel Monaco ever since I first discovered it upon first moving here. My boyfriend surprised me with a night at the hotel as a holiday present, and the hotel was better than pictured.

We got in later than we intended, but were able to take advantage of the wine hour. They have several board games available for guests, and since all the couches were full, we sat on the floor and played Jenga! It's a great way to make guests feel welcome and relaxed. The fire place is a nice touch - you could really be anywhere and just enjoy yourself.

The hotel itself is beautiful - the beaux arts architecture, the marble staircases, the tiffany windows, the level of thought put into every detail - you can tell the owners really took pride in creating the hotel. We loved finding the backlit train window in our room, and though the room was a corner room with an odd shape, we actually really loved the room as well. The bathroom walls were covered in what felt like a leather texture, but harkened back to the history of the building and the railroads. As a history buff, it was pretty neat to stay someplace that had been a part of the Baltimore landscape for over a hundred years.

Another really nice touch that we appreciated were the high ceilings. The room feels spacious and wide.

We did have some hiccups with service - nothing major, but the front desk was more than receptive to our concerns and offered us a complimentary breakfast for the hiccups. I'm a member of the InTouch loyalty program, which meant we scored some gummy bears and soda from the mini-bars. Tip: if you haven't had the gummy bears, try them. We discovered them in New York and relish them with delight!

Overall, I would absolutely stay here again. Hopefully, we'll be able to make it a longer stay next time!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear jg1876:

Everyone has there quirks, glad you enjoyed ours.
We truly appreciate the feedback and will use to perfect our operation.

Joe Pagone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Korean first
Hurricane, West Virginia
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed for a business trip and it was a very nice place to stay. The room was very clean and the service was great! The people at the hotel was very friendly and helpful! The internet was rather expensive: I had to print tickets for a venue. I was charge two different fee's for accessing email and printing tickets. I loved the historic building the hotel is in. Beautiful city!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear amyhass:

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the TA community.
It was great to read how much you enjoyed your stay. Please know in the future anyone from our guest service team will be happy to print anything you need right form the front desk.
We hope to see you soon.

maryland
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I recently stayed overnight at Hotel Monaco as I was looking for the perfect location where I can have my family and friends to stay this spring for a Ladies Day Out in Baltimore. After much research, I decided to check out this Kimpton property, as it seemed to provide the elegance and style that I was looking for. Hotel Monaco provided this.. and much more! I will say I was a bit worried upon arrival, as the valet check-in was not very organized, and to my dismay I was informed the valet lot was full. Somehow the car that arrived after me got the last spot. The valet guy was very friendly and apologized for the inconvenience. He also provided me with a great alternative parking location that was secured and actually very reasonable for overnight parking, and allowed me to stay parked out front until I got checked in and was able to take my bags to my room so I wouldn't have to lug them from the new parking location. His attitude and level of service salvaged the disappointment I felt with not being able to get the valet parking. Check-in was fast and easy. The pictures on this hotel's website ARE ACCURATE, and really, you are more in awe when you actually see this place in person. Loved the historic architecture, the swanky decor, and sheer elegance of the place with high ceilings and marble. The room was clean, nice sized bathroom, yoga mat, bathrobes (nice touch but unfortunately the ones I had were not very comfortable, as they were not soft like other Kimpton bathrobes I've used, this pair definitely had seen one too many wash cycles and was scratchy/starchy, probably time do a refresh of the robes) free wifi for In Touch members, again, everything as advertised. My goal was to partake in every amenity they had to offer. The wine hour was very popular, and actually offered light snacks which I was not expecting. Keep in mind this is a pet-friendly hotel, so there were dogs at the happy hour in the lobby. Now I love pets, so this didn't bother me, but for those not to keen on dogs, just wanted to make this known. Most of the dogs were well-behaved, well, except one that stole a piece of our appetizer off the chair before we could stop him, but I found the whole situation very amusing. I advise getting to the wine hour early though if you want to partake fully in the snacks and beverage without a possible short wait period. It does provide a good opportunity to mix-n-mingle with other guests. The lobby is very cozy, really unlike any hotel lobby I've seen, as it has a nice fireplace, many couch or cushioned seating areas, a game table of chess, and light music playing in the background. The ambiance is very nice! Great spot for lounging late-night to enjoy convo with friends. Every staff member I came in contact with was very helpful and friendly. I was even escorted to view one of the double bunk rooms that I wanted to see, and this room was just as nice and again looked like the pictures. The bunk may accommodate 1 smaller frame/short adult, and of course would fit 2 kids (again, depending on how big/tall they are). The wifi worked effortlessly, and the rooms were QUIET. Now I am not sure how full the hotel was that weekend, but I didn't hear any noises from the hallway, making me feel as if I was in an isolated area, which was very relaxing. The shower was nice and powerful with great water pressure and nice HOT water. The next morning I enjoyed the hot coffee and tea bar (again in the lobby), which on this occasion also had hot chocolate with marshmallows and chocolate chips. A nice array of herbal teas were present. The fitness center smelled like everything was brand new, and even had a hula hoop in there for a different type of workout! The property also has bicycles you can use for free upon request, in addition to goldfish which you can get for your room if you don't want to be lonely! I even utilized the provided yoga mat and did one of the free On-Demand Yoga for Abs videos just for the heck of it! Overall, I don't see how you can go wrong with staying at this property. Location was great, I was able to drive to all the attractions I visited within 15min or less. I really enjoyed my stay, and it lived up to all the expectations that I hoped it would meet. Clean and spacious rooms, great staff, cool amenities, and overall charm and elegance! I am looking forward to my return stay for Ladies Day Out and I hope my second experience will be just as great as my first when I return with family/friends this Spring. I think I made the right decision by selecting this property for my future stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear hisinc:

Thank you for the five star review!
It was great to read you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.
Please know I will share your kind words with my entire team.
We hope you join us again soon.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 February 2014

For the money this is an excellent choice. The design is fantastic, spacious rooms, walking distance to the harbor, friendly fast check in......best part is the lounge. Absolutely sultry and great for lounging. Double sided fireplace with interesting beautiful chairs around. I would return in a heartbeat!
Tip..... Don't go to the attached restaurant..... It's handsome looking but the food was not good and service was sloooooow.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mrs. Dalh,

Thank you for sharing your comments with the TA community from your November stay.
We appreciate you staying with us and look forward to your return.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Rooms are fantastic, staff is excellent and the lounge area was beautiful. Wine-happy hour in the lounge was over the top----Everything and Everyone exceeded my expectations and I will now first look for a Kimpton Hotel no matter where I travel---My experience at this hotel turned m into a loyal Kimpton customer

Room Tip: Our friends and us stayed on different sides of the hotel--everyone was happy with rooms--no complai...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear jodyandduane:

Thank you for the five star review!
I was delighted to read you had such a great stay and are now a loyal fan of our brand.
I will be sure to share this kind feedback with my entire team.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 17 February 2014

It is really hard to say anything negative about this hotel. Fantastic location (only a few blocks from Mt. Vernon and right in the heart of the downtown area), beautiful architecture, trendy decor, and fabulous rooms. We stayed in the Mediterranean Suite through the "Sweet Suite Deal" posted on TripAdvisor, and we are glad that we upgraded. The tub was gargantuan, the view was splendid, and the stay was quite comfortable.

Yet we found it too easy to complain about the service at this hotel, especially considering its membership in the Kimpton line of hotels (wow am I glad to be an InTouch member!!!):

1. The doormen are discourteous and aloof. On several occasions I held the door for other guests of the hotel because the doormen were chatting with one another. One gentleman was fantastic (I didn't catch his name), but his colleagues were no help. He would hold one door, leaving the other (very difficult to open due to the wind that passed through) for us.
2. The front desk attendant who originally checked us in was pretty incompetent and bumbling. We arrived at 4:30 p.m., which is an hour and a half past the check-in time. When we checked in, the attendant told us that our room still wasn't ready. He told us that we would need to wait another 30 minutes, yet he gave us no reason for the delay nor did he make our wait comfortable. He simply grabbed our things and said "I am sorry about this." When I returned to the desk 10 minutes later to ask for the wireless password, a different attendant checked on the status of our room and announced that our room had been ready since 3 p.m.! He glared at his colleague, checked us in, but still provided no explanation. A few minutes later the original attendant arrived at our door with some of our bags. We explained that he had left a few of our belongings downstairs, and he apologized and returned 5 minutes later with more (but not all) of our stuff. We were so frustrated that we decided to just go downstairs ourselves and pick up the rest of our things.
3. We arrived in the room to find it unprepared for our "Sweet Suite Deal" stay. We were given a bottle of Moscato, but we were not given truffles (part of the deal). I called down to the front desk and reported the missing truffles. Confused, the female attendant explained that she would send some up. We waited, and no one arrived with the chocolates, so we mentioned it to the front desk attendant who brought up (some of) our belongings. He returned about 20 minutes later with chocolate-covered strawberries. Definitely not truffles. I hate strawberries. Moreover, when we attempted to watch television, we could not figure out how to turn it in. We are young people, so we felt idiotic fiddling with so many buttons without experiencing any success. Once I started checking the cords, voila! Someone had unplugged the power cord and inserted several of the other cords into the wrong spots behind the television.
4. The cleaning staff was practically pushing us out of our room. We received several reminders to leave the room, which was technically not required until 4 p.m. due to our deal. We finally went to the front desk to ensure that we could stay until 4 p.m. (and we could).

I will settle with "very good" since this hotel is so amazing and the perks that come with InTouch membership are so awesome. Free wireless, complimentary items from the mini-bar, the wine reception, etc. - a wonderful touch! Yet the Monaco of Baltimore could certainly work out their service kinks....

Room Tip: Corner suites offer great views. If you can afford it, stay in the Mediterranean suite. The bathroom...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SrP100111:

Thank you for staying with us and for providing such detailed feedback on your stay.
I was quite surprised to read of the service challenges you experienced. Please know I take this feedback very seriously and I will review them with my team.

Boyce, VA
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at this property while attending a concert at First Baltimore Arena, which was a very short walk from the Hotel. The Monaco Baltimore is gorgeous inside and reflective of architecture from the past yet upscale in its décor. The rooms were good-sized and well appointed. Great wine reception as usual and the staff could not have been friendlier. Great job again Kimpton!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear boycebrent:

Thank you for your kind words!
We look forward to having you back soon.