“Renovation that works; great location”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Renovation that works; great location”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Even though our Baltimore family lives in the Northwest suburbs, staying downtown in this nicely renovated hotel was a real treat. it was convenient for everything we did around the Inner harbor and at Fell's Point and everywhere else we went during the weekend. The high ceilings , nicely redone bathrooms, and spacious rooms enhanced the experience. They also did a lot of little things that made the stay nicer. For example, larger print on the bottles of shampoo and conditioner, plenty of light, real blackout shades whihc kept the morning sun out until we wanted it. the staff could not have been nicer, particularly the parking valets and doormen. We used our car a lot and they were uniformly helpful and efficient. I['m sorry that we didn't get to try the restaurant or the B &O Bar, but maybe next time. I have always liked the B & O Railroad Museum, having traveled on the B & O as a kid. Maybe i missed any train decorations, but that would have been nice to see in the hotel. I'm sure that we'll come back to the Hotel Monaco. We have stayed in a number of other hotels in Baltimore for business or pleasure. This one compares favorably and was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear RcikS:

I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We appreicate you staying with us and for sharing your review.
It is always nice when someone notices the details. We look forward to your return.

Joe Pagone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Korean first
Washington DC
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Located in the former headquarters of the legendary B&O Railway, this historic building is now home to a hip, urban hotel near the Inner Harbor. The hotel staff are friendly and make an extra effort to make one feel welcome.

Room Tip: Hotel offers valet parking. Be sure to sign-up for Kimpton's InTouch program - its free.
Dear Bridgett93:

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to you staying with us again.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco last night and we can not stop raving about our time! We stayed in a King Premiere Spa room. When we first walked in we were amazed at how large it felt not being a suite! The high ceilings and huge windows were amazing. The bed was comfy and inviting and the room overall just had a clean and sophisticated feel. The bathroom was beautiful as well. I was surprised to see a list of other compliemtary things they could provide if you forgot anything at home! I usually am not a fan of hotel blow dryers but was happy to find a higher powered one under the sink! The spa shower and tub were AMAZING and perfect for our romantic getaway. We were even treated to a compliemtary bottle of champagne! We had booked the aquarium package which got us untimed tickets to the aquarium so we had no wait in line! Thanks for a great night Hotel Monaco!

The only thing I was disappointed with was that we didn't have a fish waiting for us in our room when we had booked the aquarium package. I noticed a paper in our room that said "by request" so we asked in the lobby at 9pm and they were all out for the evening. Of all things that could have gone wrong, it was minor however we were disappointed because we are kids at heart and have no pets at home so we were excited to have one for the night!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear The Turleys,

Happy annivesary!
Glad you coudl spend it with us.
Don't wait till next year to visit again.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This hotel is a wonderful example of how Kimpton renovates and preserves historic buildings. The B&O Railway building is beautiful with marble staircases and an impressive lobby. The room was gorgeous although I did find it a bit noisy and could never figure out if it was road noise or the heating system. I had earplug so no big deal. The associated restaurant was wonderful with an innovative menu, and wonderful service. It was raining the majority of the time I was there so I had most of my meals there. And as others have mentioned the happy hour is a great way to meet and mingle with the other guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Igraze2:

Thank you for the five star review. It was great to read that you enjoyed the hotel and that our team took great care of you. We truly appreciate your taking the time to share your experience.

Towson, Maryland
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco last night and couldn't be more pleased with my stay. I will most certainly return and here's why: The hotel is beautiful and quite a vision. The rooms are extremely large and are beautifully decorated. The shower is awesome and the beds are extremely comfortable. I just had breakfast at the B&O restaurant and it exceeded every expectation, Delicious! They have hot coffee in the lobby every morning and offer free newspapers. They also have a wine reception every evening. The staff are extremely friendly and offered the BEST service. I asked to see the meeting rooms without an appointment and they were happy to arrange it. If I had only one suggestion it would be to make the air in the lobby and common areas a bit more comfortable for guests. But this property is a MUST stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Kdmspecial:

Thank you for staying with us. We love that you loved us!.
I always like to hear when guests get a chance to enjoy all of our services.
We do hope you join us again soon.

Riverside, CA
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I try to stay at Kimpton properties whenever they are available. The Monaco Baltimore lived up to what I have come to expect from my favorite brand. The decor was exactly my taste, so (of course) I loved it. The front desk staff was courteous and accommodating, especially Patty at check-out. She tagged and stored my bags so I could explore before my late afternoon flight. She even printed out my boarding passes when the business center internet was acting up. Much appreciated! There's not much in the immediate area, so I enjoyed the B & O Restaurant/Bar at the hotel on numerous occasions. The evening wine reception from 5-6 pm was a treat. They even brought out pizzas, which were great. I just wish they would change the time to 6-7 pm. I find it hard to get back to the hotel before 6 most days, and miss out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear RaymondD:

Our expectation is to exceed every guests' expecation.
I was delighted to read we were sucessful. I wll certinaly share this great feedback with my team.

Virginia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We love to take our children (4,6,16) to Baltimore to spend time at the Inner Harbor and this year we decided to try the Hotel Monaco because I saw that they had bunk bed rooms. We had an excellent stay, the kids loved the bunk room, it has an X-box in it and you can check out games from the front desk, which they loved. There is no door that closes to the bunk room though, which was fine for our kids at their ages, but if it had been when they were younger, that may have been an issue. On the lobby level, there is a really nice open area with a fireplace where they had a beautiful fire and board games to play, we sat there one evening and played games and had fun! We also had complimentary wine there in the evenings which was a great! The staff was all friendly and helpful, the location was great. We walked to the aquarium, the inner harbor shops and restaurants, and even to the Rusty Scupper restaurant and the walk was not bad. If you prefer the bus, Baltimore has a free bus called the Charm City Circulator that you can get in several places going different directions right near the hotel. The staircase coming into the hotel is absolutely beautiful. If you don't plan to use your car, then do the self-park because its cheaper, but if you plan to need the car, the valet is the way to go. The only thing that we didn't like was that our room had no view, but since it is a couple of blocks off of the harbor, we were not expecting a view.

Room Tip: If you have kids, I recommend the bunk rooms for the bunk beds and the x-box!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear maestralaura:

Thank you for spending your weekend in Baltimore with us.
The bunk beds are perfect for families. I am glad you mentioned the lack of doors to the bunk bed room. We are actually in the process of adding doors to those rooms. It was great to hear how much you enjoyed our location.; it really is perfect to visit all of the sites in Baltimore.
We hope you join us again soon.