“Fantastic hotel with an even better staff”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor
Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Fantastic hotel with an even better staff”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The hotel is located minutes from everything. The little touches were amazing. We loved the free happy hour and free bike usage. Don't expect much of a view from your room. The bar down stairs is fine for a drink but the restaurant was just ok. We had dinner here once and a late night snack a second night. The food wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. Service was very slow but we weren't in a hurry so it wasn't that big of a deal. I was shocked at the limited selection of liquors at the bar and the fact that the bartender didn't know how to make some basic drinks. Again the hotel itself was clean and well appointed. The staff was amazing.

Room Tip: Ask that you not be in a corner room. These are not sound proof.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jody S
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Jody S:

Thank you for staying with us and for dining in our restaurant.
The little things are what makes the difference and I am glad you noticed. I certainly appreciate your detailed feedback and will be sure to share it with my team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Joe Pagone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Korean first
Hughesville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 August 2014

It was a little farther from the city center then I would have preferred (still an easy walk). But being a family of 5 we are limited on our choices so we are glad that this hotel accommodates our size family!! The boys loved the bunk beds and we loved that they were in a separate room giving us some privacy. Would preferred bigger beds. We normally would not even consider a hotel with double beds but again given the limited choices of hotels this one was our first choice. Actually it was the boys choice b/c of the website photo of the bunk bed room. Fortunately the boys are small enough (10, 8, 8) 2 can sleep in one bunk and one in another leaving my husband and me our own double bed. We had the aqua package and spent 2 nights. The boys LOVED the goldfish in the room!!! Nice touch. I joined the rewards club so I was able to raid the mini bar. Nice!!! We were all impressed by the beauty of the hotel. But you need better signage to notify guests check in is NOT on the main level and you must take the elevator or stairs to the next level to check in. I saw many confused guests in the lobby. The front street area of the hotel is small and can be jammed at check out time with people leaving. We were unfortunate enough to be arriving at this time and it was a disaster. Cars and people everywhere. Left me hesitant about my choice of hotels. But our valet ( I think it was Ahmid or Ahmed, not sure) was awesome. He even apologized to us for the chaotic scene when we came back down a few hrs later. He recommended a wonderful place to eat. He also went out of his way to get us a map and draw directions for us. Thank you!! Check in and out was easy and buying the additional discount tickets the aquarium was a snap. We used our coupons our free continental breakfast at the B&O. Thank you to the woman at check in who recognized we were a family of 5 and gave us an additional coupon to cover the 5th person (coupons are only good for 4 people). Unfortunately the day we used them there was a conference in the hotel so our options for breakfast were extremely limited. But what we had was very good. Did not like the shower. I am not a fan of the 1/2 glass shower stall with no door. Our floor was soaked by the time a even one of us was done showering. We used more towels to soak up the water than to dry ourselves off. Rooms were quiet. Could hear hallway noise (that is to be expected) but nothing from the other rooms. Nice! You are in the city so you do get sirens and other noises but that is part of being in a big city. We are from a quiet rural area so we noticed all the noise but we still slept just fine. Overall our stay was very pleasant. I would recommend the hotel to others and we would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennifer M
Dear djmsn:

Thank you for your feedback. I was glad to read you and your family enjoyed your stay. The bunk bed rooms are perfect for large families who want to stay in the same room. We hope you join us again for your next family getaway or mayve just a weekend with your significant other.

Vancouver BC
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My daughter and I were invited guests of a large convention and we were assigned this hotel. We had to move the first room (2 double beds) because it was literally IN the elevator cluster. The loud DINGING would have kept us up all night. There was a lot of shuffling when we asked to move and ultimately we got a corner Jr suite. VERY nice bathroom, large, etc but looking slightly threadbare. The service was also a little iffy. Maybe it was just our guy, but the new room had a pullout sofa and a king bed. There were no pillows for the sofa bed. We called down and asked for three (they were small) and only got two. We also had a Fedex delivered. They said it was nowhere to be found. (not) it was there. Tracking said it was delivered on our arrival day at 9AM. It didn't set the tone very well. I can't HARSHLY criticize the hotel, but it was a bit "meh"

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ianpeean
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We were greeted with valet parking staff and a bellman who were all so friendly and helpful. It was so nice to let them take our vehicle and not worry about it again until we left the next evening.

Upon entering the hotel, we knew we were in for a treat. The staircase, the elevators, the building is just amazing. Even my teenagers appreciated the beauty and history.

Check-in was a breeze. We had a bunk bed room for our family of 5 which suited us perfectly. For a historical building, the room and bathroom were modern and gorgeous! Shortly after getting settled in our room we were surprised with wine and nuts/popcorn/granola snack mix and bottled water delivered to our room.

The beds, pillows were extremely comfortable. The valet service kept our vehicle after we checked out while we explored more of Baltimore on foot. We said good-bye to the staff, but it really is "see you next time I'm in town!"

Can't miss with this hotel ! Thank you, Keith Siebenaler, Assistant Manager, for accommodating my family with our last minute room requirement changes. Your hotel and staff exceeded our expectations!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear ReneeNewY0rk:

Thank you for your kind words. Sending shiny thoughts right back at you. I was happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that our team took such great care of you and your family. I will certinaly thank them and give Keith a special shout out for a job well done.

ny
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel twice. The rooms are are large, clean and nicely decorated. This is not a 5 star hotel but a solid 4 star hotel. I think think this is the nicest hotel in Baltimore other than the Four Seasons.

During our first stay, we were in a rush to leave and the check out had an enormous line. We almost missed our appointment. This was annoying and it felt like I was checking out of a Disney Hotel.

The Monaco does not have their own restaurant and they recommend to eat at the restaurant attached to the hotel. At best, it was mediocre. We ordered room service for breakfast which we enjoyed.

It was not expensive so it was worth it to stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Joe P, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore Inner Harbor, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear dgely:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TA community.
We appreciate you staying with us and look forward to your return.

Cupertino, CA
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My family recently spent two nights at the Monaco while moving our daughter for her freshman year at college. We stayed in a family room (two doubles and two bunk beds). The hotel is beautiful; it's the old B&O railroad building. Everyone we dealt with was very nice and helpful (especially the valet attendants as we had a lot of stuff to move), and the location was great for both running (not too far from the water) and Johns Hopkins. A few minor details kept me from giving an excellent review; the pay-to-order and other services did not work on the main TV, the shower water pressure was quite low, and one of the double beds was tilted (I had to jam a pillow under the mattress on one side to even it out). We do love the quirkiness of the Kimpton group hotels; having a fish in our room etc. We will definitely return here on hopefully many visits to our daughter over the next several years. Oh, make sure to sign up for the InTouch (now Karma Rewards) club to get the free internet.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear gbob:

Thank you for staying with us.
The first year of college move in is a big deal. I was glad to read our location was perfect for your trips between the harbor and Johns Hopkins. We hope to see you again when you visit your daughter. Please know I appreciate the feedback and will certainly share it with my team.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night over the Fourth of July. The hotel is located in a historic building, and has a grand old staircase and marble foyer. The layout of the lobby is a bit odd - it's above the street entrance. The hotel is conveniently located a short walk away from the Aquarium (Inner Harbor) and a reasonable walk to the Mount Vernon area and the Walter's Art Gallery and other cultural attractions.

The rooms are spacious and quirky, with historical touches combined with modern amenities. The hotel gym is incredibly spacious, and the hotel also loans out fitness equipment. We had dinner in the restaurant attached to the hotel and it was better than average. One tip - we joined the rewards program before arriving in Baltimore and received free items from the minibar.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have larger windows, but the elevators are fairly slow - so consider what you...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear AllisonN18:

Thanks for staying with us and for sharing your feedback.
I am glad you enjoye the property and our location. Our location is ideal to experience all the Baltimore has to offer. We look forward to your return.