“Good Bargain”

Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Good Bargain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Found this hotel via a gamble on Hotwire. Even though Hotwire said it was a 3 star, most other sites had it listed no higher than 2.5. Regardless, there was some hesitation about staying here, but it turned out to be a great visit. My expectations were exceeded. The staff was very friendly. The hotel was updated and the room was very clean. We stayed on the fifth floor, at our request which was graciously granted, and it was very quiet. There was a free shuttle that took you just about anywhere you wanted to go in the Inner Harbor/Fells Point area. This was invaluable, as it was convenient and saved us a lot on cab fares. The one negative to the hotel is that it is located in a shady neighborhood, and is probably the only reason why I gave it a 4 instead of 5. Aside from that, I can't find any faults here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hiebaltimore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Your comments are a true reflection of the hard work and dedication the employees and investors have committed to make this a great hotel our guest will love. Thank you

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Arabic first
Elkins, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We came as a family for my several JH hospital appointments and many tests, so a stressful time for me, but we wanted to see the Inner Harbor and Fell's Point too. Both Erica and James shuttled us around; our first night, the shuttle was ours completely, but the second day and night, a strict time schedule was in effect. Secondly, the parking lot, although paid, is quite small and is first come.... Alternate parking is on the street and cars must be moved prior to 8AM. Our room, 106, was quite clean, the linens and furnishings all newer, the bath all fine; our TV was relatively new and had an excellent picture. Microwave and refrigerator were new. The area around this hotel is quite scary, though. Loiterers abound; I would not walk around the area any time of day, and that impacts my review. Please note: John Hopkins Bayside is not near this hotel and, there is no shuttle to it & restaurants are not close to this hotel. Once here, you are dependent upon the shuttle, or may lose that valuable parking spot! Note too: all staff is friendly, kind and eager to assist!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
We appreciate hearing for you and look forward to your returning in the future.
Gulf Shores, Alabama, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Most importantly, the staff....excellent! "All" friendly,gracious and willing to assist. The room....cleanliness is next to godliness phrase....They meet it. My room was so clean and quiet. My flights were delayed and I did not arrive till after 11:00PM. I just wanted a clean and quiet room. That's exactly what I got. The shuttle service to John Hopkins and the Inner Harbor was great.....every friendly driver. Check out their John Hopkins rates. Thank you, my trip to John Hopkins went great thanks to you.
Randy, Gulf Shores, AL.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 412
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Hiebaltimore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for your comments. It's always good for the associates to hear how well they are doing.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I experienced the worst check-in experience in my life by Samuel, the night auditor. We arrived around 12 AM on a friday night looking to check into two rooms. I had called earlier in the week and requested for my two rooms to be near each other. Once I arrived, I was told that I could not have them near each other because they were negative on rooms and did not have any more rooms. If I called ahead of time, would you not have put me with the rest of my party? What's the point of having multiple rooms if you cannot even be on the same floor? We asked Samuel if there was a liquor stores around and he told us it was a 20 minutes drive and closed at midnight. I told Samuel that I felt he was being rude to me and his response was "OH WELL..MAKE A COMPLAINT!".... I have literally never been that disrespected in my life. Samuel gave me the worst customer service. I understand we were coming in late, but no one should EVER be treated that way. He did not tell us any information about the hotel so we were left aimlessly wandering through the hotel because I did not feel comfortable talking to him anymore. I did not want to be in such a hostile situation again. We got to our rooms and went to take a shower. The floor mat was wet. One of my friends called down and asked for a new one. He brought up a bath towel and two hand towles and said "This is all we had." At this point I was completely fed up and was debating moving to the Sleep Inn next door, but decided I would give them another try in the morning. After breakfast, I spoke to the supervisor, Latisha, who was just delightful. She apologized for his actions and attitude. She really tried to make the whole situation better and I appreciate that.

I only slept at the hotel. I spent no other time there so check in was really my only experience with them. Not staying here again. And by the way, the liquor store is about 10 minutes away WALKING!!!

I hope someone contacts me about this...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sulised
Please accept my apology for for your experience as described with this associate. We will address the concerns you have raised about this specific associate and will take the appropriate action to correct. As you also expressed, Leticia is a prime example of the attitude pervasive throughout the hotel displayed by our hotel staff..
Virginia Beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Good location . friendly staff . bad traffic around but hey its Baltimore . rooms are average . nice lobby . I stay here often due to traveling for work. Its a lot better then a lot if the other hotels in this area.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
Sugar Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

The is an old bank building converted to Holiday Inn Express, so most every room is different. Well designed; the windows are sealed for quiet, but it's still a city and the noises are around.

The furniture is comfortable and the rooms clean.

Room Tip: Ask for 5th floor room in the back for quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Thank your for sharing your experience with us.
pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

The staff is very friendly. The hotel is dated, but kept up well. The rooms nice and clean.
We were not that far from the harbor and all the action. We don't mind walking, so the location
was great. It was about a ten minute walk to the harbor. They have a free shuttle service, which
is a plus. James is very accommodating. It isn't in the best part of the city, but it was just fine. No problems.. We were there for the 4th of July and the fireworks were great. The free breakfast
wasn't all that bad. If you didn't like the eggs, there was cereal, fruit, bagels, muffins, etc. It was
a fun vacation! By the way, there is no pool in this hotel. There is so much to do in Baltimore, you really don't need one.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank paula w
Hiebaltimore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We appreciate hearing from you and will make certain James is made aware of your acknowledgement of his performance.