“perfect hotel with an excellent staff”

Holiday Inn Express Baltimore-Downtown
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
netherlands
“perfect hotel with an excellent staff”
Reviewed 1 November 2009

stayed in oct during a conference. THe hotel is new, and it is truly a good hotel. The rooms are spacious, nice. The hotel provides a free shuttle to the convention centre, perfect. (one day the shuttle wasn`t there and we needed a trip to the convention centre, the staff arranged a taxi, for free.
free breakfast,
free internet acces,

the fitness centre is the only thing that could have been better
The staff is truly very friendly, kind and very helpful.
a truly good hotel !

Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Arabic first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Previous reviewers have commented on the degree to which this new hotel has opened without really having everything checked and working - and our experience was no different. It should be a flagship for Holiday Inn Express - an elegant bank building that has been sensitively refurbished with a particularly large and elegant lobby space. It also has a first rate staff team. The neighbourhood is 'up and coming', which means that it has a slightly edgy feel, but it is close enough to the Inner Harbor - about five blocks - to be confident that improvement will continue. Besides, it is only about one block from a major police post and patrol cars are constantly in evidence. However, what we Brits call the "snagging" process at the end of a big construction job has plainly not been done satisfactorily, if at all. Our room had a chipped bath, a badly scratched side panel on the bath, a loose faucet over the bathroom sink (tap over the basin), power circuit that did not function and rendered two lights inactive, and a loose leg on the studio chair. We were staying over a weekend so it was not unreasonable that some of these could not be fixed by maintenance, but they do raise issues both about building management and construction quality. If a plumber got away with fitting a chipped bath, or dropping a wrench into it and not replacing it, what does this say about construction standards - and what other problems are lurking? The front desk were charming and thanked us for our courteous reports - if we didn't tell them about problems, they couldn't be fixed. Well, there are consultants in the hotel business who do that sort of pre-occupancy checking - and I don't think they would miss a chipped bath. Is it really fair to expect customers to do that checking for you? Is it really appropriate to charge them quite a full rate for being the test-drivers? I do think this is a hotel with a good future - but I would track its reviews quite carefully to be sure that the problems reported by this, and other early reviewers, do actually get fixed.

By the way, if you are there on a weekend, there is a really good farmer's market on Sunday morning just one block down the street.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 September 2009

I had booked this hotel as it was literally across the road from the venue I was attending, which was my whole reason for being in Baltimore. It's a lovely building, and the room was of excellent quality. There were a few missing items; no general information about Baltimore, and no Guest Directory, but as I knew this was a relatively new hotel, I overlooked this omissions.
What I can't overlook is what happened when I tried to do a load of laundry before I left. Unbeknownst to me, the guest laundry was not operational. As there was no indication AT ALL that this was the case (not even a simple "OUT OF ORDER" sign on the machines or door), I loaded the (apparently working) washing machine with my laundry and detergent, but could not start the machine. A call to the front desk confirmed that it wasn't working. This knowledge would have been helpful before I'd soaked my dirty laundry with detergent.
As I had 90 minutes before I had to leave to get a bus to Philadelphia, I accepted the offer for housekeeping to do my laundry for me. Ninety long minutes later, I still didn't have my laundry back, and I had 20 minutes to get to the other side of Baltimore to catch my bus. Eventually after practically begging for my clothes back, they were returned (still wet) and despite the best efforts of the young man driving the hotel shuttle, I did indeed miss my bus and had to forfeit my prepaid fare, then fork out $70 for a train ticket in order to get to Philadelphia in time for a pre-arranged engagement.
To say I was upset and disappointed is an understatement.
If I was in Baltimore in a year's time and needed to stay close to the same venue, I'd consider it, but would probably stay elsewhere and fork out for the cab ride instead. Particularly as they charged me for the shuttle because a cab would have taken even longer to get there.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Majuro
Reviewed 23 September 2009

A great new hotel built on an old bank site. Excellent service and close to the all the attractions including the port. We were concerned at first about the location (across the road from the juvenile offender’s court and located on a rough looking street) but it turned out to be fine. We walked two blocks and were in down town Baltimore close to the inner harbour. The only problem is there is no parking lot and I wouldn’t recommend parking on the street. We were allowed to park in the unfinished car park at the rear of the hotel, which is ok and is regularly patrolled by security staff. The place will be perfect when they complete the car park. We got a great deal making our booking on line. I would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple