“VERY nice HI Express!!”

Ranked #18 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Joppa, MD
“VERY nice HI Express!!”
Reviewed 10 February 2010

We absolutely loved the hotel. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful with all of my requests.

My only concern is the parking lot. There's a God-awful limited amount of parking for the guests. Not everyone will get to pay to park in the small lot. I also felt unsafe with just the lighting. There lot should be monitored via CC circuit. The area is not that great at all.

Overall, I would still stay there again simply because of the staff and beautiful rooms!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Arabic first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 February 2010

This was our second experience at a Holiday Inn Express and it didn't disappoint.

The hotel is a newly renovated historic bank building which gives it a unique feel of a 3 or 4-star hotel. The odd thing is that the immediate surrounding neighborhood that is not that great. Holiday Inn has taken a chance putting the hotel here and so far it seems to have worked.

We did walk over to Inner Harbor and little Italy which was no more than a 10-minute walk. There is a Whole Foods in the Inner Harbor area where you can get some tasty items to take back to the hotel. By the way, the rooms also feature a fridge and microwave.

This hotel features a free and quite decent continental breakfast, with one or two hot items as well. I had cinnamon rolls, eggs and cereal.

The staff was polite and courteous throughout my stay.

There's not much bad I can say about this place. My only complaint was that they wanted an additional $12 to park in what appears to be an unguarded lot in back. You can save the parking fee by parking at a meter across the street after 6pm until 8am. If you are staying during the day, all-day parking at the meter is $8.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Glenside, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 January 2010

This hotel is not in a great area, but it is in a beautiful building. The hotel had opened only a month or two before we stayed there. The elevators failed and weren't operable the morning of our departure. The breakfast, which is included, looked pretty good, though we had other plans. Also, at 3AM some young people knocked insistently on our door. They seemed to imply that thought that someone they knew was in the room. Clearly, this demonstrated a security problem. It was very disturbing.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Tokyo
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I booked this three-night trip through HotWire, and got a really good price. Overall I was very satisfied with the room -- the hotel was super clean, the staff really nice, and it was a real perk to get free breakfast. Maybe it's just continental, but there was a lot of variety -- eggs, several types of bread products including cinnamon buns, cereal, oatmeal, sausage, bacon, biscuits. There were a variety of hot drinks available downstairs all day, too, which was also nice.

In terms of service, somethings were a bit disorganized -- I tried to print something out, and they had no idea where it was being printed from. They ended up printing it out for me, and at no cost, so I can't really complain, though. (It was honestly a lot of papers, so I actually really appreciated it.) Though they have a 'shuttle', it's really just a company van, and they can only get you around if the person is there (and available). Thus I got to use the van twice, and had to walk downtown twice. This isn't the hotels fault, really, but the taxi they asked to come back for me didn't come back, and there weren't any around, so I ended up being a bit late for one of my events, too.

Which brings me to the question of location. I was a bit concerned when I found out where it was -- it's in the downtown area, but honestly it's a couple of blocks away from the main strip, and you have to walk under the highway to get to it. At morning and during the day this isn't a problem, and I felt very comfortable walking downtown. At night, though, it's pretty dark and relatively isolated. I walked back when it was just seven and felt OK, but the other night I ended up taxing it back, so you might want to keep the taxi money in your budget. It's not expensive, though -- about 5 to 6 dollars to the convention center.

However, the really bad thing about the location is that there's no place to eat around it, as far as I could tell. The hotel offers free coffee and drinks downstairs all the time, but there weren't any restaurants nearby, and you'd have to walk a decent bit to even get to a store to sell you something. It's definitely important to get what you want before heading back, though those with cars may not be concerned.

Overall, I'd say if you could get a deal like I did, it's definitely worth it and you'll be really satisfied. I got a great price, and am really happy with it. But if I were going to pay 110 dollars, I might choose to be at one of the hotels closer to the harbor which are about the same, just so I don't have to walk around to find food.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
san diego
Reviewed 2 January 2010

My advice - stay in Motel 6 for half the price, a safer environment and far better customer service.
I found this hotel from Priceline for one night - got a great rate and turned out to be a decent first day experience. Then I had to extend my stay by two nights (now at $112 per night regular hotel rates) because there was a huge snowstorm on the East Coast and my flight back home got cancelled. And that's when I saw how bad this hotel was.
A couple of hours after I checked into my room I discovered that after I locked the door, it would not lock. (God knows how many people must've stayed in that room with a false sense of security!) And as it turns out, this hotel in within a few hundred yards of a juvenile detention center. Yeah right, now I am going to feel very cozy and safe! When I informed the front desk, they assigned me another room, the keys to which wouldn't open the room. Onward to another room,and the rest of the stay was uneventful.
FInally I got back home. A couple of days later I discovered that I was charged for one night more ($112). When I called they said they couldn't find that transaction on their files. After a lot of agony and a lot of phone calls they said they will fix it. They didn't. I called up again and spoke to someone at the front desk who said she didn't have time to look into my file, but will do it later. A week later, instead of reimbursing me $112, they charged my credit another $224. What a circus!
I called up again this morning. The person to deal with is still not in. Somehow, they don't care, they don't seem very competent and as a rule they never return your phone callsl All hotels have a manager who should be taking care of things when they get this messy. For this Holiday Inn Express either s/he doesn't exist or is not very interested in providing good customer service. Hello, are you there? If this review gets your attention, please return my money and feel free to call me. And please get a little more involved in how your hotel is being run instead of playing golf all day.
By all means stay in this hotel if you feel like it - the rooms were good, but I didn't feel safe at all. Not to mention, that even though I have checked out almost 2 weeks ago and they still keep charging me for my stay there. Get the point?
TripAdvisor has a question below this write-up asking me whether I would recommend this hotel to a friend. Too bad they don't have a "Are you kidding me?" option......

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank alpa10
dc
Reviewed 19 December 2009

Got stuck in Baltimore during "blizzard", booked this hotel online due to location (within one mile of Johns Hopkins). What a great hotel! Beautifully decorated, super friendly staff, very comfortable room. Highly recommended!
Great experience.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 12 November 2009

We choose the Holiday Inn Express Baltimore Downtown because of the great price we received. The hotel is in a 1920s bank building that has been renovated into a gorgeous hotel. The rooms are spacious and nicely renovated and the staff was excellent. We had an early flight and arrived to the hotel rather early, the hotel staff checked us in and gave us a room right away. That was great considering we did not have the best flight. The staff was very accomodating when it came time to answering questions about the city of Baltimore.
The were two problems we had with the hotel, those being the location and the shuttle. The hotel was about a 15 minute walk to the Inner Harbor, but the walk wasn' t through the best neighborhood. We also took the hotel shuttle a few times because we were attending a tradeshow at the Convention Center, but it was not always available. It was only available at certain times and if they had enough staff working. Be aware of this if you plan on using the hotel shuttle. Other than that, the hotel was great for a short stay in Baltimore!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business